Riesentöter Forums
CarboTech pads anybody ? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: CarboTech pads anybody ? (/showthread.php?tid=2113)

Pages: 1 2

- STEVEMCMORN - 01-12-2010

rhargy wrote:
Quote:Does anybody out there have any experience with this compund for both track and street use ? I know I have to sacrifice some street manners.

Just do what I did, learn to change you own pads so you can have a set of stock pads and a set of track pads

I wrecked a set of rims and it took a hell of a lot of elbow grease to clean up my bodywork by keeping my hawk blues on for day to day use

When Ian Curtis showed me how to change pads, I was embarassed how easy it is ..... plus the fact I was payign someone else $100 an hour to do an easy job for me . Now even I can change 4 wheels in ?20 mins! If I can, you can!

If your 996 brakes are like my 997 brakes ... then I'll come up and help you
If not, i'm sure someone else will volunteer

- Larry Herman - 01-13-2010

STEVEMCMORN wrote:
Quote:When Ian Curtis showed me how to change pads, I was embarassed how easy it is ..... plus the fact I was payign someone else $100 an hour to do an easy job for me . Now even I can change 4 wheels in ?20 mins! If I can, you can!
And if you can't, then attend our brake clinic this spring and I'll show you how.

- steveh - 01-14-2010

I had the Carbotech XP10/XP12 combo on my Miata when I first started tracking it, because it was "the" setup for spec Miata.  I liked the pads, but they weren't cheap and did not last very long, even on a very light car.

Since then I have run Hawk HT-10's on the front, HP+ rear on both the Miata and an E36 sedan, and have had good luck with both.  Good wear, good initial bite and very controllable (I trail brake a lot), not too much dust.  Good cold bite, so they work on the street; the 10's are pretty noisy when cold.  Not inexpensive, but less than Carbo's or Pagids.

I used to run Pagid yellows on my 951.  Loved them on the track, but for an "endurance" pad they did not wear well and were very expensive.

- delanckc - 01-15-2010

I don't race but attend 4 to 5 DE's per season.  For the track I use Hawk HP Plus.  They are dusty but don't fade during a session (25 to 30 minutes).  If driven for longer periods and they would start to fade. 

I'm usually to lazy to change out my track pads for street pads during the season unless there is an extended break between events.  The HP Plus pads are very loud (as evidenced by a toll taker covering her ears as I approached to pay a toll) so during long breaks and winter driving I move to Hawk HPS.  Nice and quiet and good braking for the street.

As many folks mentioned previously, it really comes down to what activities you need the for (racing, autox, street and DE's), cost and your braking habits to make a decision pads.  At that point it is trial and error until you find one you are comfortable with.  Many, many choices.  Have fun.

Kevin