Riesentöter Forums
Friday- Yuk! Saturday- Eh. Sunday - Great Fun! - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Friday- Yuk! Saturday- Eh. Sunday - Great Fun! (/showthread.php?tid=925)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- Darren - 11-12-2007

I'm in for getting his help next year -- I was at the end of (way beyond!!) my budget this year....

Jack -- Besides the re-pave you must have been on old tires last Summit Point -- you were flying this event.  If you were 2 seconds faster then you were really 3 seconds faster because of track conditions.  Which puts you at the top of the pack in NASA GTS3 Smile  I'm sure Tom D and Eric Wong are looking for some more competition!!

I have to find 1.5 seconds to keep up with you guys....on down the slippery slope....

- Tony356993 - 11-12-2007

Darren,

Thanks for setting up your transmitter. I only noticed at the end of the day but clicked off a 27.5 in the Carrera. I think with the new surface there is another 2.5 seconds to be had.................if I only had some bigger brakes Big Grin

Quote:Yes, it can defintely be a pain in those slow corners but DAYUM, on corners like 10, the 4wd is just EVIL...
There is a balance. From turn in to apex you pay a "penalty" but from apex to track out, 4WD rocks.

Quote:[size=2]Tony, BTW nice avitarBig Grin
I know a guy ..........

[/size] 

- magnetic1 - 11-12-2007

Darren wrote:
Quote:I'm in for getting his help next year -- I was at the end of (way beyond!!) my budget this year....

Jack -- Besides the re-pave you must have been on old tires last Summit Point -- you were flying this event. If you were 2 seconds faster then you were really 3 seconds faster because of track conditions. Which puts you at the top of the pack in NASA GTS3 Smile I'm sure Tom D and Eric Wong are looking for some more competition!!

I have to find 1.5 seconds to keep up with you guys....on down the slippery slope....
Jack, come on out! Smile

- catchacab - 11-12-2007

off to the malt shop

- Gorgon - 11-13-2007

Damn, that blue car has some nice lines! Big Grin

- jakp993 - 11-13-2007

Gang,

I feel a little silly that I started the discussions about lap times, getting caught up in the moment, etc.  Those of you that know me understand that I am the 1st person in line to explain the different mindset required for driver's ed vs. racing.  Yet my posts could be interpreted as my actions do not follow my words.

So, please grant me the opportunity to put my comments into perspective.

Yes, I do keep lap times.  I purchased a Traqmate data acquisition device last year.  Sorry, I'm a geek, and it's electronic so I couldn't resist.  However, I don't even look at the data at the track.  I download it when the weekend is over and I compare sessions, laps, segment times, etc.  In all honesty, that's a pretty stupid way to use the device.  I should be pouring over the data at the end of each session to get the most out of my investment.  But, I don't cause it's just not that important to me at a DE.  My mind is focused on my instructional duties, not lap times.  Trust me, that would be a different story if I was racing.

Next, regarding my comment about getting caught up in the moment.  Yes, I did.  But I did not intend to imply that I drove beyond my safety zone.  I let myself drive close to my normal pace of when I'm solo in the Red run group.  That's not my typical mode of operation when I have a student in the car with me.  With a student, I typically demonstrate everything we discuss in the classroom to the letter.  I brake in a straight line, I use one smooth steering input, I don't follow too closely, etc.  In this case I went a little beyond that.  I looked at the video last night and I'm actually not as guilty as I originally thought.

So, I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I condone, or practice, agressive driving during a DE.  There is no place for agressive driving at a DE.  Friendly competition amongst your buds is fine, as long as it doesn't go too far.

Have fun, but stay safe!

Jack

- michael lang - 11-13-2007

Jack, I didn't interpret your posts as anything but "getting caught up in the moment", I myself got "caught up in the moment" but I was just really nervous about going out solo for the first time in the 2nd session on Sunday.

I do most of the training with the new service advisors at the dealership I work at & I tell them sometimes you will be doing your job by the seat of your pants, but I also explain to them that it takes years to build up to that point where you do things and you're not thinking about it, just like you were doing on the track. In the beginning I try to stress learning the basics first and then slowly the more advanced skills can be introduced. You and your team of instructors do a marvelous job of teaching that. I feel very priviledged to have been a part of your DE program this season and I am very much looking forward to participating in even more events next season. Thanks again.

- catchacab - 11-16-2007

COWBOY