Riesentöter Forums
Panamera Spied at the Nurburing - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Panamera Spied at the Nurburing (/showthread.php?tid=102)

Pages: 1 2 3

- APXD 30 - 09-28-2006

Apparently this car will exist.   In my opinion, it is the answer to a question that could remain unasked.    Am I missing something or is this another Cayenne?   The best use I can see is to tow your P-Car to the track.

Thoughts?

Brenda Priddy & Company

Though the Panamera takes over design elements from the 911 range, there will obviously be huge differences. While the 911 has always kept its rear-mounted boxer engine, the Panamera will have a choice of three front-mounted motors, although they'll be set back to the center of the car as much as possible. The entry-level powerplant will be Volkswagen's 3.5-liter six-cylinder engine with 300 bhp. Next up will be two direct-injection eight-cylinder engines, available as naturally-aspirated (350 bhp) and with twin-turbo (560 bhp). Porsche is also toying with the idea of using the Porsche GT's 700-bhp ten-cylinder powerplant.

[Image: autoweek_watermark.gif&Maxw=600]

- smankow - 09-28-2006

APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:Apparently this car will exist. In my opinion, it is the answer to a question that could remain unasked. Am I missing something or is this another Cayenne? The best use I can see is to tow your P-Car to the track.
Josh, it's time to lay off of the crack pipe. This is a 4-door sports sedan, not an SUV. I doubt that anyone would consider this a tow vehicle.

Whether you like the looks or not, it certainly does not look even remotely like a Cayenne.

- Wellardmac - 09-29-2006

I would also add that this car will not look like this when finished. it will almost certainly have different styling and look like an extended 911 with 4 doors by the time that it is done.... think of an updated 989 Concept and you're probably not far from the future reality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_989

http://www.vezess.hu/content/cm/Porsche/989/989_orr34_big.jpg

Think of this version of being a prototype for the mechanical systems. Most manufacturers change their cars as they get closer to production.

I can't wait to see the final car... maybe I can convince my wife hat she might like one. Smile

- Tony356993 - 10-03-2006

Josh,

Don't bash the Cayenne until you have driven one......at speed. It is not your average SUV. We outgrew the towing capacity of the Cayenne or we would still own one. I was not happy about a p-car suv either, but it is a great combo of engineering.

- smankow - 10-03-2006

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Josh,

Don't bash the Cayenne until you have driven one......at speed. It is not your average SUV. We outgrew the towing capacity of the Cayenne or we would still own one. I was not happy about a p-car suv either, but it is a great combo of engineering.

and the Cayenne will easily run circles around your GTI

- Tony356993 - 10-04-2006

Harsh Steve, harsh

- Wellardmac - 10-04-2006

Harsh, but true.... on top of that it could probably do it while climbing a steep muddy incline. Smile

- APXD 30 - 10-05-2006

My point has more to do with mission creep in pursuit of profits/cross sales than anything else.   Let's say the car is a success in terms of profitability which the Cayenne was/is, then you have board who decides you have to replace it with a wagon, pick-up variant, etc.   It's a slippery slope and they need to maintain discipline on what made the company a success in the first place.

Steve,

At least my VW daily driver says VW on it.   Instead of the badge engineered Porsche!

- Wellardmac - 10-05-2006

APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:My point has more to do with mission creep in pursuit of profits/cross sales than anything else. Let's say the car is a success in terms of profitability which the Cayenne was/is, then you have board who decides you have to replace it with a wagon, pick-up variant, etc. It's a slippery slope and they need to maintain discipline on what made the company a success in the first place.

Steve,

At least my VW daily driver says VW on it. Instead of the badge engineered Porsche!

It wasn't really mission creep. The CEO of Porsche said that it was a matter of survival. It was really simple - sell more cars, or be subject to acquisition or bankrupcy. They had a car that they knew people would buy so they made it. The car industry is cut-throat at all levels, even for Porsche. Adapt or perish - it's that simple.

- smankow - 10-06-2006

APXD 30 wrote:
Quote:At least my VW daily driver says VW on it. Instead of the badge engineered Porsche!

what about the boxster???????? honestly, I haven't seen a 320+ HP VW coupe. And if I remember correctly, Porsche now has an ownership interest in VW, not the other way around. So, maybe your statement should be reversed to be:

"at least my vw daily driver is now a Porsche badge engineered VW!"

Congrats again on winning the lap a thon. Your employees can now get another paycheck Big Grin