Riesentöter Forums
Leading Driving Events - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Touring (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Leading Driving Events (/showthread.php?tid=1132)

- Wellardmac - 04-20-2008

I've been approached recently by people who are interested in finding out more about what it takes to get more driving/touring events going. I'm really pleased to see the interest that is being generated on this topic and am glad to help set someone on their way to getting things moving.

You can help in several ways: You can either help arrange and run one of our existing runs, or you can get my help/guidance in setting up your own.

If you're interested in helping me set up one of our runs for this year, then the process works something like this:
If I have a route, it's just a matter of doing a dry-run the week before the scheduled date to ensure that the roads are open and make any required route changes caused by closures or obstacles (I had to do that on this latest run due to parts of Rte 32 being closed). On the day of the run it's good to have people who know the route (and have a navigator) that are comfortable leading a group so that we can have more manageable logistics.

Putting together a new route takes a lot more time (at least for me). In the past I have typically worked out a rough plan of a route using satellite maps at Google Maps. From there I do a dry run to see if the route works - are there bad left turns and intersections that would cause issues for a large run group? Are there areas of population that I didn't see on the satellite images? Are there unreasonable speed limits or speed traps? During that dry run I'll work out changes to the route on the fly just using a map - trying to find ways that get us from A to B on suitable roads with low population. Once that's done I hit the computer to redraft the route. This process is usually completed at least a month before the date that I'm going to schedule the drive. After that it's just a question of doing a dry run on the weekend before the scheduled date to fine tune any issues that have come up since the route was planned.

If any of that is of interest to you, I'd love to have your help in any part - whether it's helping to come up with new routes, or just leading groups. Drop me a PM and we can work something out.

If you'd like my advice on how to set something up for yourself, then drop me a note and I'll share my experiences on what has worked and what has not worked.

The interest in driving events is strong and the demand is there. It's just a case of arranging something and people will attend. A good drive is self-sustaining and will attract good word-of-mouth recommendations for future drives.

- NorthCoventry993cab - 05-06-2008

I would definitely be interested in participating in some touring events, not sure how much my work schedule over the next 5-6 months with travel will allow me to help plan but I will pitch in if possible.  Do any of the routes ever hit North West Chester County? Some very scenic and wide open country roads exist, and the recently re-done St. Peters Village in Warwick township would be a great final place to end the tour.  Just a thought....

- Wellardmac - 05-08-2008

NorthCoventry993cab wrote:
Quote:I would definitely be interested in participating in some touring events, not sure how much my work schedule over the next 5-6 months with travel will allow me to help plan but I will pitch in if possible. Do any of the routes ever hit North West Chester County? Some very scenic and wide open country roads exist, and the recently re-done St. Peters Village in Warwick township would be a great final place to end the tour. Just a thought....

There has been interest in some drives in Chester County, but to be honest I don't know the area well enough to put a drive together in that area. I'd gladly help out anyone who is welling to put a route together and guide them in the logistics of pulling things together.

I'd gladly take any help I can get on the drives that I organize - I'm always on the lookout for navigators and group leaders if you have a navigator and GPS you'll make a perfect group leader.