Riesentöter Forums
Schattenbaum NJMP April 9-10 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Schattenbaum NJMP April 9-10 (/showthread.php?tid=1471)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- bobt993 - 04-12-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:The expanded passing in Red was usful, but not all that exciting. I hope PCA adopts this generally.

Chris, your unfortunately ruined by racing now. Point-by's are just not the same anymore. SmileSmile

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-12-2009

First race of the year is MARRS 1 at Summit Point next weekend. I cannot wait!

The expanded passing helped move us along. I do hope it becomes standard.

- Terry - 04-12-2009

One consequence is that the passing car is now often in the marbles and has less grip. So now you are off line and have less grip so must be very aware of your car's attitude. This adds a lot of interest (in a good way) and adds a lot of tire snot (not as good). I would be in favor of making the change generally applicable. BTW, any comments on the car to car contact?

- Mark Fox - 04-12-2009

Agreement with all of the above.  What a great day for shaking off the rust since November and braking with my right foot for a change.   After a couple of sessions and a wheel change I couldn't shake the rear thump I was experiencing.  I am guessing axle bearing or wheel bearing.  Same sound as Brian M had at last years WGI Zone 1.  

I got down for Friday for my first experience with Lightening and it's a very fun track.  Hope I didn't hold anyone up. Confusedhock:  Terry and Darren were very hooked up. What times were you running?

Because of the greater technical sections I feel it is not comparable to thunderbolt, both fun but different animals.   I would estimate it is about 60 percent of what Mid Ohio provides and a lot closer.  It also seems to be less aggressive on tires than Thunderbolt.  Although someone in our group destroyed a Hoosier like I have never seen before. (Hugh circumferential bubble and I would guess belt failure) I know he drives hard by nature and don't know how aggresive he may hve been throwing it into corners.

As far as open passing it should have been adopted long ago.  While it may not be much different, it does help to prevent getting held up for multiple laps and both tracks and SP can be prone to getting heavily bogged down. 

- opus - 04-12-2009

I have driven Thunderbolt and Lightning only a couple of days each.  As a beginner, I thought before I'll like Thunderbolt better.  But, it seems to me Lightning has better flow especially turns 2 to 4 (right, right, left). 

- Brian Minkin - 04-12-2009

Terry wrote:
Quote:BTW, any comments on the car to car contact?
Both drivers have their own version of the incident. The cup car driver says he got a passing signal separate from the one given to the 993. The Boxster driver says he only gave one signal. Regardless the Boxster driver should have been aware of both cars behind him and made sure he knew where they were before turning in. It was not because of extended passing. It would have happened under standard passing rules. I did not see the cup car but the damage on the Boxster was fortunately minimal.

- Darren - 04-12-2009

I disagree.  It was clearly the second passing car's fault.  The damage on the Boxster was behind the door so the passing car should have given up the pass and been aware enough to avoid contact -- whether he got a signal or not!

- Mark Fox - 04-12-2009

Agreed. The second passing car put himself in a position to be taken out!Confusedhock:

- Terry - 04-12-2009

About half a lap before the incident, I gave Hoyt (the 993) a pass and never saw the Cup car glued to his bumper (both were white) until he was alongside of me. I then speeded up and was not far behind them when the incident occurred. I will tell you I only gave one signal. I doubt very much that the Boxter signalled twice, for the simple reason that he never had time to do so. The Cup driver was damned if he was going to lose contact with the 993 and that, very simply, was the story.

- Darren - 04-12-2009

opus wrote:
Quote:I have driven Thunderbolt and Lightning only a couple of days each. As a beginner, I thought before I'll like Thunderbolt better. But, it seems to me Lightning has better flow especially turns 2 to 4 (right, right, left).

They are both a lot of fun for sure. It's really fun to come out of that lightbulb at 100+ mph!

The DE line through 2-4 is really rewarding, very smooth. Interestingly though I found I could go faster by muscling my way through that section.

The key to that DE line is to take that first right hand apex about a car width off, and then it's pretty smooth with a big constant radius though 2 and 3. 4 is sort of a throw-away though, so I think it might be better to maximize the speed going into the T4 apex and sacrificing the exit speed since it's slow anyway. In the instructor group everyone had their own line Smile