Riesentöter Forums
August 'ring School - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: August 'ring School (/showthread.php?tid=1665)

Pages: 1 2

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-17-2009

I registered this morning and more slots for the 2009 BMW CCA Nürburgring Driving School are available. To register, call the BMW CCA National Office at 864 250 0022 and have your Visa card handy so you can make your deposit (and join the BMW CCA if needed--ownership of a BMW is NOT required).

The 2009 School is August 2-5, with driving on both the Nordschleife and the GP circuits. For more information check out www.tinyurl.com/RingSchool.

This is best way to learn this course.

- Terry - 04-17-2009

Sure, easy for you - you'll be most of the way there anyway! You are making lemonade from life's lemons.

- bobt993 - 04-18-2009

Chris,

It's  a lot of fun, but be prepared.  Day 1 is almost 12 hours of track time!!  (About 1/2 hours for lunch though.)   The F1 course is actually boring from the participant I spoke with (they did not allow it the two years I was there).  You will have a blast.  Take an excursion to Spa  while you are there.  Study for (request ahead of time) your Groupe B racing license.  The course along with a passing grade entitles you to a racing license in Europe allowing you to arrive and drive at Hockenheim, Spa, and other tracks on certain days.  This is Germany, rules are very different.  BTW get your rental ahead of time secured ( use one of the ring rental programs for a race car).  Car rentals are difficult to get now for Ring driving.

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-19-2009

First race of the year, MARRS 1 at Summit Point in SSM (Showroom Spec Miata) with the Washington DC Region of SCCA. Saturday was 15 minutes of qualifying and a 10 lap race for half-points. Sunday (grid set by fastest lap on Saturday) was a 20 lap race for full points. I didn't qualify well, and threw a good run away in the Saturday race by spinning on the last lap! Sunday was better. Started 37 of 48 and finished cleanly in 24th. Met Bob Dimarco after dicing with him for the last couple laps.

Bob, thanks for the suggestions. Where do I get infor on the Groupe B licensing?

- bobt993 - 04-19-2009

Chris, 

Dan Tacket was the contact for BMWCCA when I did the two events.  I think there is someone else now.  You need to request the opportunity as the "Germans"  do not think the USA faction is remotely interested in the licens.  SCCA license will transfer from what I was told.  You need the physical in Germany though.  

BTW you need to keep the RTR record for pointing in the top three for the graded lap competition at the end of the event ( USA group). 

- APXD 30 - 04-20-2009

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:It's a lot of fun, but be prepared. Day 1 is almost 12 hours of track time!! (About 1/2 hours for lunch though.)
That's okay, the Dorint hotel is literally "at the track."

[Image: dorint.jpg]

- bobt993 - 04-20-2009

Actually that is not really correct.  The Dorint is at the F1 track not the Nordeschleife.  You must drive out of the hotel, down the road through a town to get to the main straight access (10mins with no traffic). With access to the F1 track, they may allow it to be used to enter.  Typically there are over 200 cars on the track at a time and the only place to line up is the 1.5mile front straight. Smile

- APXD 30 - 04-20-2009

I woke up to sound of the M3 motors at about 7am from my room.  Great alarm clock.   The cars seem to be housed in the center of the F1 track.   Turns 3 & 4 of the Nordschleife were also visible from the hotel room.

- bobt993 - 04-20-2009

There is an in-field VIP area at the F1 track.  You need to use the Gantry across the main straight to enter during a race.  We did this for a vintage race one year.  During the DTM race it was big bucks... euros to get in there.  You can just see Tiergarten from the hotel as you mentioned.   The PITA is that you need to get to the toll entry to gain track entry during tourisfarten.  The only other entry is in Briedshied using a season pass.  

Your going to have a great time no matter how they configure the track.  Make sure you go to Spa while your there.  It's only a 90min drive and the most picturesque track I have been too. 

- Mark Fox - 04-23-2009

What town is the dorint located in?  What is the price of the school?