Riesentöter Forums
Bert Roos Driving School - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Bert Roos Driving School (/showthread.php?tid=1736)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Lainey - 07-26-2009

Hi everyone,
I'm interested in feedback on the program up at Pocono Raceway - has anyone done the "Drive your own Car" program for a day? Looking to do DE events too but thought this might be a good foundation.

Thanks,
Lainey

- betegh9 - 07-26-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:Hi everyone,
I'm interested in feedback on the program up at Pocono Raceway - has anyone done the "Drive your own Car" program for a day? Looking to do DE events too but thought this might be a good foundation.

Thanks,
Lainey

RTR does a great job introducing new drivers to events as well as expert instruction on the track.
The B.Roos program is worth taking after some DE and introduces one to more advanced driving techniques in their open wheel car and classroom instruction.

- George3 - 07-27-2009

Agreed.  Get the Bertil Roos Formula Car training first to learn car control.  These cars are light, fast, nimble and an excellent learning tool.  Then when you hop into your own car, things feel like they are happening is slow motion.  It's great.

- Darren - 07-27-2009

For a first time experience our DE program is also a great place to get started.  You already have the car, all you need is a helmet.  My first ever time on the track was at an RTR DE.

Our instructors were trained and certified to instruct students just like you.  You'll be assigned an instructor who will ride along with you in the car and help you stay safe.

I think it's best to sign up for a full 2 day event because the first day there will be so much to absorb that you might find it difficult to relax and enjoy.  By the second day you will know more of what it's about. 

That said the Roos school is a great option also, though it costs quite a bit more money.

I recommend AGAINST Pocono as the venue for a first event.   A much better choice would be the Make A Wish event that we have at Thunderbolt Raceway (New Jersey Motorsports Park) in October, or even Summit Point in August.   The reason is that these tracks are much more "real" tracks.  Pocono is also fun but more of an over-ambitious autox track.  Just my opinion though!  My first event was at The Glen and I was hooked!

- Lainey - 07-27-2009

Interesting... good idea... THANKS

- Lainey - 07-27-2009

Darren,
I was already thinking about the Make a Wish event in October and thought I would get some experience first (the Glen is a bit too far).... Just wanted to get "prepared"

Lainey

- Darren - 07-27-2009

Go for it! You'll have a blast.

- Lainey - 07-27-2009

So Darren,
Who is the best instructor in RTR? Graham?

- Darren - 07-27-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:So Darren,
Who is the best instructor in RTR? Graham?

Yes Graham is the best. That's why we made him President.

We honestly have a really great instructor corp, and I run with a lot of different clubs. FWIW I think a significant reason for that is our focus on smoothness which historically was critical for 911s which were/are very difficult for a novice to drive well at the track. If we can keep those drivers safe we can keep anyone safe.

All of the newer cars, even the 911's, are much easier to drive. Smoothness is fast and safe though, and that culture is why I think we have a great instruction program, certainly the best of any group I've run with.

- George3 - 07-27-2009

Long live the King..... :dude: