Riesentöter Forums
Track Helmet Requirements - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Track Helmet Requirements (/showthread.php?tid=1740)

- randal - 07-01-2009

I'm doing September DE at Pocono and have access to a loaner helmet.  But in anticipation of future events I'd like to buy one.  What are the requirements for track events?  There are tons for sale between $49 and $800 on ebay.  Autocrossers seem to often use "open faced" helmets.  Are those allowed on the track?  Do they need to pass a specific certification?  Thanks.  Randal.

- Wally - 07-01-2009

Greetings Randal, Our requirements for a helmet is that it be either an "M" or "SA" 2000 or newer.  A new spec will be coming out next year (2010) which will make the 2000 requirements obsolete.  Open face or full face is your option.  Some Porsche regions require an "SA" helmet to run DE (I don't have the faintest idea why), so make your purchase on how many different regions you will be running with.  Most important is that it fits well.

Be safe,

Wally

- Bill Lehman - 07-01-2009

One of the important parts of Wally's response was that the helmet fits well.  You can't find this out by just trying on the helmet.  It takes some time for the helmet to "adjust" to your head.  Put one on and leave it of for at least 15 minutes.  Probably a helmet that feels "too snug" in the begining will be the right size.  A good shop with an experienced fitter is helpful.  I'm sure that there are others but I recommend Laurette at Stable Energies  www.StableEnergies.com 

- Mike Andrews - 07-02-2009

randal wrote:
Quote:I'm doing September DE at Pocono and have access to a loaner helmet. But in anticipation of future events I'd like to buy one. What are the requirements for track events? There are tons for sale between $49 and $800 on ebay. Autocrossers seem to often use "open faced" helmets. Are those allowed on the track? Do they need to pass a specific certification? Thanks. Randal.

Randal,

You have already received some very good advice.... and if I may add a little more.

Yes, you can wear an open face helmet. And at first one with think sure, I'm in a car what can happen? We've had a deer hit the side of a car and knock the side mirror into the car and flying parts hit the driver. You may at some time get offered a ride in an open cockpit car and would want a full face helmet... and so on. With that said, there are some studies with regards to airbags and full face helmets that you may want to research.

As to specific certification, yes they must be Snell rated and be within the current or one generation back. Those certifications come every five years so we are currently on 2000 and 2005 and as Wally pointed out that will change next year so one might want to wait until the later part of next year to pick up a "new" helmet. The two ratings that you need to address are "M" (Motorcycle) and "SA" (Special Application). Each is designed around certain needs and there's give and take to each. I'll be glad to beat this horse one more time if you want some help with this.

And Bill mentioned fit. That's very important. Not just based upon the shape of your head. Some helemts fit square heads better than others Big Grin As far as size, assuming you're looking at full face helmets (hint - hint), with the helmet on you (someone) should be able to grab the chin bar and move it side to side and your head move with the helmet. Once the helmet starts to move so should you head. If it slips then it's too loose. When you open your mouth you should feel your cheeks rub the inside padding of the chin bar. If when you close your mouth the padding is so snug that it forces the inside of your cheeks into your teeth (where you would bite yourself) then the helmet is too tight. If everything else is just right but the chin bar is too tight or too loose, on some helmets you can replace the pads with different pads for a better fit.

As Bill said, the helmet padding will break in and loosen up a little as you wear it. A good thing is to go to a store and wear a helemt for a while. Perhaps while you are looking at the other models. Kind of like they do at an eye test. Keep trying on different helmets and keep the one that feels best on your head. When you find one that is comfortable it will stand out above the others.

- steveh - 07-03-2009

FWIW - many clubs now allow only SA helmets for DE events, so if you plan to run with more than one club, SA is the better bet.  I have not noticed any huge difference on price for equivalent M and SA helmets.