Riesentöter Forums
Winter Tires for a Cayman S? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Boxster/Cayman (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: Winter Tires for a Cayman S? (/showthread.php?tid=1844)

Pages: 1 2

- pgcays - 09-07-2009

Hi all,

Our meeting a few months back at CJ's Tires got me thinking that maybe winter tires might be a good idea for the Cayman. I drove all last winter on the factory tires and was thinking that maybe that wasn't the right thing to do (especially after what the guy said about driving on "summer tires" when it's cold).  The car goes out at least once a week all winter (except of course when it's icy or snowy, I have a Jeep for then...). Has anyone changed out their tires for winter? Is it worth the expense of the tires, changing them out, and storing the other set? Or should I just do a repeat of last winter and take it out on the summer tires??

I know that the speaker was out to sell some tires, but it got me thinking...

Any suggestions? :?

- bobt993 - 09-07-2009

Your best bet is a cheap set of rims from Tire Rack on closeout and a set of bad weather tires (300 to 400.00).  All season tires are not all that great.  The performance tires are just fine without  ice or snow on the roads.  A set of cheap rims will provide several advantages:

1.  No need to mount and remount the sport tires.  $$ adds up. 
2.  Your nice factory rims can avoid the damage from road salt and other hazards       including edge scuffing during mount/remount process.
3.  Mounted tires are readily available to change out in your garage.  Should take
     20mins or so. 

We do this with our 3 series BMW and we are getting plenty of extended tire wear.

- Lainey - 09-07-2009

Hey let me know what you figure out - this will be the first winter for my CS also and am considering the same thing. I also have a truck as my daily driver for the bad weather days.

How does one get a pair of "cheap rims" (knowing full well there is nothing 'cheap' about this)? Tire rack sounds like the way to go

- George3 - 09-07-2009

There are plenty of nice looking inexpensive Porsche rims available on eBay.

I know, the nay sayers will tell you they're made in Italy and aren't as strong.  I personally have used them on the track without any problems in my Boxster.  Although, I wouldn't suggest track use, I think they are more than sufficient for winter street duty.  IMHO.

- catchacab - 09-07-2009

You should be able to find a set of takeoffs, ones in very good condition (no rash and not bent) for about $1000 without tires. Or you can buy an aftermarket set. You will also need TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors). Porsche started TPMS in 2007, and you maybe able to perchase them with the wheels. For tires I have bought winter tires for my porsches from both tire rack and cjs. Porsche does gave recommended tires (N spec). If that us important to you goto tire rack's website and look for oem winter tires. Order your tires asap, as we get into the winter season they become more difficult to locate.

18'" wheels and tires are generally less expensive than 19" and 20s.

Good places to find take offs are www.caymanclub.net, rennlist and 6speedonline.

Remember rear offsets are different than 911s and I believe the all offsets are slightly different for 2009(cayman and boxster) and 2005 and earlier boxster.

- catchacab - 09-07-2009

You should be able to find a set of takeoffs, ones in very good condition (no rash and not bent) for about $1000 without tires. Or you can buy an aftermarket set. You will also need TPMS (tire pressure monitoring sensors). Porsche started TPMS in 2007, and you maybe able to perchase them with the wheels. For tires I have bought winter tires for my porsches from both tire rack and cjs. Porsche does gave recommended tires (N spec). If that us important to you goto tire rack's website and look for oem winter tires. Order your tires asap, as we get into the winter season they become more difficult to locate.

18'" wheels and tires are generally less expensive than 19" and 20s.

Good places to find take offs are www.caymanclub.net, rennlist and 6speedonline.

Remember rear offsets are different than 911s and I believe the all offsets are slightly different for 2009(cayman and boxster) and 2005 and earlier boxster.

- Lainey - 09-07-2009

You guys are amazing! Its obvious that I don't know what I don't know.

Muchas gracias!

- Lainey - 09-07-2009

You guys are amazing! Its obvious that I don't know what I don't know.

Muchas gracias!

- Darren - 09-08-2009

Better yet go with 17", even cheaper.

I have a set of factory 17" 996 wheels for sale that would be good for winter use.  They are a little scratched up and dirty but cheap, I have them on Rennlist for $350.

It looks like the offset is not exactly the Cayman offset but I think you'd have to bolt them on and see how it looks.  It looks like the Cayman offsets are 51 mm front and 41 mm rear, and these wheels I have are 55 mm offset.

- catchacab - 09-08-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:Better yet go with 17", even cheaper.

I have a set of factory 17" 996 wheels for sale that would be good for winter use. They are a little scratched up and dirty but cheap, I have them on Rennlist for $350.

It looks like the offset is not exactly the Cayman offset but I think you'd have to bolt them on and see how it looks. It looks like the Cayman offsets are 51 mm front and 41 mm rear, and these wheels I have are 55 mm offset.
Cayman S needs 18" to clear the front calipers. Cayman (non S) can use 17"