Riesentöter Forums
Removing black marks on paint after DE - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Concours (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+--- Thread: Removing black marks on paint after DE (/showthread.php?tid=1870)

Pages: 1 2

- larrybard - 09-05-2009

Don't know if I'm more likely to get a response posting here, rather than on DE, but I'll try: what do drivers recommend for removing those black marks (presumably from tire "marbles" hitting the car at high speeds)? I am pretty laid back (to put it mildly) about car cleaning, but all those black marks I've been accumulating are beginning to bother me. I can only hope that they aren't corrosive, like bird "residue."

And while I'm at it, another driver suggested applying something like Klasse wax to wheels to help protect against brake dust, but of course that presupposes that the wheels are clean to start with. I fear I am starting to witness the corrosive effects of brake dust on my wheels; I actually tried to wash the dust off yesterday (a rare activity for me), and am afraid that some that didn't easily wipe off may be attacking the metal. Before I try something that might be too aggressive, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

- TwentySix - 09-05-2009

[Image: gghs12.jpg]

Goo Gone has worked well for me to clean up the cup car, use a soft cloth and be generous with the goo  Wink  wash the area after you're done... find it at Lowes, Pep Boys and some supermarkets.  HTH

- larrybard - 09-05-2009

Thanks very much. I also remembered reading somewhere that Wurth citrus solvent degreaser might work, but if you have first hand favorable experience with Goo Gone, definitely worth trying.

- TwentySix - 09-05-2009

John wants to know if you are feeling alright   [Image: roflmao.gif]

- larrybard - 09-05-2009

That's going to keep me laughing at least through the entire holiday weekend.

Yeah, I can see how shocked he is that I might clean anything on the car more often than annually (if even that often).

- Bill Lehman - 09-05-2009

I use a little paint thinner on a soft cloth to get rid of the black rubber and tar.  In the Spring I claeaned both my track and street wheels throughly and waxed them with "Rejex".  Tire buggers still stick them but they clean up easily.

- Lainey - 09-05-2009

Bug and Tar Remover Spray works for me

- Porshagod - 09-05-2009

At the July club membership meeting at Possum Hollow Motorsports, the guest speaker was Tim McNair of Grand Prix Concours Preparation auto detail. This question was asked. He explained what product worked best at removing "tire boogers" (rubber/tar), as well as what product to use AFTER they are removed to help prevent them from sticking in the future. I do not recall the name of these 2 products, though I do remember he said they were available from your local motorcycle dealer. If you contact Tim, I'm sure he'll be able to give you the names of these 2 products. You can contact Tim at:

215-990-8161

tm@gpconcours.com

http://www.gpconcours.com/

- Larry Herman - 09-05-2009

This seems to go round and round every 6 months or so.  Forget what everyone else says because they have not tried it.  Those who have, know.  Nu Finish polish easily disolves the rubber marks and adds a layer of wax to your car.  I have not found anything that works better, and I have tried all of the other "remedies".

- George3 - 09-06-2009

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:This seems to go round and round every 6 months or so. Forget what everyone else says because they have not tried it. Those who have, know. Nu Finish polish easily disolves the rubber marks and adds a layer of wax to your car. I have not found anything that works better, and I have tried all of the other "remedies".

^ +1

Nu Finish Car Polish
I swear by this stuff and will never use any harsh, caustic or petroleum based products on my paint... even when the mfr says it's OK.