Riesentöter Forums
996 race car conversion - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 996 race car conversion (/showthread.php?tid=1903)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Darren - 09-22-2009

I've mentioned on the forum a few times about my 996 project and I wanted to share some pictures.  I try not to think about how pretty the car used to be!

I'm hoping to be back together by the end of the coming weekend.  I've been spending DAYS chasing wires and cutting out unnecessary circuits.  Here's a couple of pictures of the initial state and the current state.  I wanted to relocate the harness so that it's not on the driver's side, especially the fusebox.  Not for the feint of heart!

[Image: GT3%20seats%20interior.jpg]

To:
[Image: 996%20wires%20start.jpg]
And now she's to this point -- much better!

[Image: 996%20wires%20in%20progress.jpg]

Here's the bin of wires I cut out -- this weights 21 lbs!!!

[Image: 996%20bin%20of%20wires.jpg]

Outside shot -- gotta have the aero!

[Image: 996%20cup%20wing.jpg]

- JAB993 - 09-22-2009

Braveheart indeed......and you want it finished when?
You have my complete admiration.
John

- betegh9 - 09-22-2009

Done when? Confusedhock: Is the cat telling you what to do? Pano has a bunch of cars like that for sale, so why would you want to basterdize a perfectly NICE? car?

- Darren - 09-22-2009

Every car is a race car waiting to come out of it's shell.

- Ed Kovalevich - 09-25-2009

Darren,

You are the man. You sure are busy...

Ed

- ninjabones - 09-26-2009

Holy Crap!!!  You are a sick man.  I have piles of wires zip-tied into annoying bunches all over my car.  I'm way to scared to try to remove any of them.  I'm still chasing an electrical gremlin from my kill-switch install last winter.

- ccm911 - 09-28-2009

I am so impressed, Darren.  I always thought I was good with cars, but I now see how far behind I am.  As per Nick's comment......he does not understand the rush one gets when something designed and built by yourself actually comes together and works.

- StoogeMoe203 - 09-28-2009

See how useless all that new technology is?

You can take out all those wires, and it still runs. Smile

- Darren - 09-28-2009

Thanks guys, I'm tired Smile  We worked all weekend on the car and pretty much got it together.  The corner balance is finished, tomorrow I need to do the alignment, then I'm headed up to the dyno to make sure everything is working properly -- to make sure that is not on "limp mode" because I cut something I shouldn't have.  It seems fine though.

I was a little intimidated at first because everything talks to each other -- the dash talks to the ECU, the ABS talks to the ECU, etc etc...In the end it's just a slightly more complicated car, not much different than any other car.

- Darren - 09-28-2009

Updated pics:

Wires are just about done -- the relay panel is mounted and the fusebox has a mounting place but is hanging right now.

[Image: dash%20wires%20version%203.jpg]

AIM MXL Pista digital dash hooked up -- the factory gauge cluster is mounted on the middle of the "dash".  The cluster is an integral part of the electronics, so it stays, but out of my way.

[Image: aim%20mxl%20dash.jpg]