Riesentöter Forums
Seafoam?? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 911 Air-Cooled (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Seafoam?? (/showthread.php?tid=1999)

Pages: 1 2

- csnyder993 - 12-14-2009

Has anyone used this as a fuel stabilizer?  If so, would you recommend it? (i.e. over Sta-Bil or the fuel stabilizer sold by Briggs and Straton)

- AMoore - 12-14-2009

Best fuel stablizer?  Drive your car year round.  Really, contrary to popular belief, Porsche's run just fine in cold weather.  You should, however, avoid the rain, snow and salt.

- csnyder993 - 02-27-2010

So, Aaron, I've followed your sage advice and have avoided  the rain, snow and salt, which means my car hasn't moved since your wrote your words of wisdom.  Any intelligent input to my original question???

- APXD 30 - 02-28-2010

I have 3 vehicles in storage right now all with Stabil in them.   Two are at home and one is away in storage with no battery in in.

The two at home I start on a monthly basis and run them for about a half an hour.    They are on trickle chargers but it relaxes me to run them every once in awhile.   I also believe its good for the A/C, seals, and tire to move them a bit.

I have not tried another fuel stabilizer.

- Porshagod - 02-28-2010

Ditto for me!

- csnyder993 - 03-09-2010

Thanks for the responses.  I have used Sta-Bil in my 993 for the last 3 years (since I bought it) and in my motorcycles for the last 20+ with good results.  Last Fall, I was told by a good friend that Briggs and Straton fuel stabilizer was "much better than Sta-Bil".  When I tried to purchase it at a local farm and garden supply house, the mechanic there told me that using any fuel stabilizer was essentially a waste of time.  He recalled three units that required a carb repair the previous season despite the fact that the owner had used a stabilizer.  The mechanic stated that the ingredients in current fuels degrade very quickly, and he strongly suggested starting the engine periodically over the winter if the engine was being stored.   I went to another shop and was told essentially the same story there by another mechanic. He told me that if I used any stabilizer that I should use SeaFoam, but that the engine should still also be started periodically....   I thought I would ping the group to see if anyone had a similar experience...

Thanks again for the information.

Chuck

- 1983sccoupe - 03-10-2010

I store and run my 83 sc coupe with Sunoco 93. I have been an avid snowmobiler for 20 years and really wanted to test the theory of a stabilizer. We sometimes ride 1500 miles in Canada in a single trip and had used a stabilizer in the fuel. However when we removed the carbs after that trip we noticed that there was a fine yellowish powder in the fuel bowls. This was the same color as the stabilizer brand we put in. After seeing this I never used a stabilizer in any of my "toys". A mechanic told me that if you just use "Super" fuel exclusively you are getting the highest amount of octane and fuel preservative in the mix. I do not want deposits from the stabilizer to be left behind in my Bosch fuel injection.

My 2 cents.

kk

- ccm911 - 03-10-2010

I have gone as long as 12 months without starting the car and have never had any fuel "spoilage" issues whatsoever.  I also use Sunoco 93.  In fact, I think the gas in my Targa right now is well over a year old, and it is still running great.

Has anyone else had these results?

- Brian Minkin - 03-10-2010

I have BP 93 in the 1977 wide body.  Start it about every 3 months and it never missed a beat.

- CarreraSupercharged - 03-22-2010

Where do you guys get 93 Octane?
I live near Honey Brook, but commute to Exton for work every day, I never saw 93 at a Wawa station.

Thanks in advance for the tip.