Riesentöter Forums
Porsche 918 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Porsche 918 (/showthread.php?tid=2130)

Pages: 1 2 3

- AMoore - 03-03-2010

Porsche 918 Spyder Concept
Is the Porsche 918 Spyder Concept green and mean? Yes, with emphasis on the latter.[url=javascript: window.print()]print[/url]

send
[/*]

By Andrew Bornhop | Photos by John Lamm

[Image: autos_content_landing_pages-636666657-12...CD8TjxZaGL]

Who said green cars can’t be mean? Not Porsche. On the eve of the Geneva Auto Show, the Stuttgart-based company took the wraps off the 918 Spyder Concept, a 2-seat mid-engine supercar with hybrid and electric drive technology.

Just how fast is this thing? Well, Porsche says the 918 Spyder Concept hits 100 km/h (62 mph) in less than 3.2 seconds, and it blasts to a top speed of 198 mph. Not only that, it laps the Nürburgring in less than 7 minutes 30 seconds, which means it’s even faster than the hallowed Carrera GT.

Just how green is it? Porsche says that, when driven accordingly, the plug-in hybrid 918 Spyder Concept gets an outstanding 78 mpg, with an emissions level of just 70 grams of C02 per kilometer.

The 918 Spyder Concept is powered by a high-revving V-8 related to the 3.4-liter in the Porsche RS Spyder racing car. In 918 Spyder form, this mid-mounted engine revs to 9200 rpm and produces more than 500 bhp. Electric motors at the front and rear axles add an additional 218 horsepower to the output. The V-8’s power, and that of the rear electric motor, reaches the Spyder Concept’s rear wheels via a 7-speed PDK gearbox. The drive to the front wheels is pure electric, via a fixed ratio. The liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery pack behind the cockpit can be charged at home, or by brake regeneration.

[Image: autos_content_landing_pages-54327054-126...CDRCoZmTfp]
Four distinct driving modes are available. E Drive is solely electric power, with a range of up to 16 miles. In Hybrid mode, electric power and gasoline power are used as conditions warrant, in ways designed to maximize economy or performance. In Sport Hybrid mode, in which both drive systems maximize performance, most of the power goes rearward, aided by torque vectoring to help the car’s dynamics. Lastly, there’s Race Hybrid mode for the utmost performance, such as running at the limit on the racetrack. In this mode, there’s even a “push to pass�? E-Boost feature that feeds in added electrical power for overtaking… or better lap times.

The 918 Spyder’s modular chassis is made of CFP (carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic), while Porsche has also employed lots of magnesium and aluminum to keep the car’s weight down to a reasonably svelte 3285 lb. Aesthetically, the 918 Spyder looks very much like a relative of the Carrera GT. It also looks like it would be perfectly at home on the road or the track. Variable aerodynamics, especially around the rear spoiler, are necessary in a car with such a fast top speed, and the rear hoods extending back from the headrests accommodate retractable air intakes that provide a ram-air function.

Porsche says the interior of the 918 Spyder Concept offers a glimpse of the future, and we’re glad that it remains driver-oriented with circular dial gauges. On the left is one for road speed; in the middle is engine speed (right where it belongs); and on the right is the energy-management gauge. Modernity is addressed via the center console, which has a touch screen for what Porsche calls “intuitive�? control of the car’s functions.

Lastly, the 918 Spyder Concept is fitted with a Range Manager. Using the map in the satellite navigation system, the Range Manager displays the remaining range the Spyder is able to cover. And in cities, it will tell you if you can reach your destination on electric power alone. Just the thing to make sure you arrive at the Nürburgring with a full tank.

We admit the Porsche 918 Spyder Concept took us by surprise at Geneva. But we very much like what we see, and the fact that this Porsche has lapped the Nürburgring proves it’s more than a “pie in the sky�? concept. It has real production possibilities; and we’re delighted that Porsche sees driving fun as a vital part of its future.

- Darren - 03-03-2010

"E Drive is solely electric power, with a range of up to 16 miles"

Great! Can I get home from work too????

It's neat looking but come on. We can barely make economical low-performance electric cars.

Consider tax rebates, emissions from manufacturing the batteries, etc...hybrids are stupid.  They are for people who want to feel like they are making a difference but not actually doing crap.

It's the same bullshit thinking that puts ethanol in our fuel.  Great now gas is 5% less efficient AND you can't ship it by pipeline because the ethanol deteriorates the seals in the pipelines, so it all is transported BY TRUCK! That isn't Earth friendly.  Then consider farm equipment to harvest and grow the corn, etc...

This is the same liberal propaganda bullshit that made Avatar Smile  Silly blue people putting ethanol in my fuel.

</Soapbox>

- Lainey - 03-04-2010

Looks like a Corvette with dual rocket launchers.... I say go back to the design drawing board!!

- emayer - 03-04-2010

I totally agree with the hybrid and biofuel movement being in large part a bunch of political BS.  Where do these batteries get disposed of anyway?  Has anyone looked into the environmental impact of mineral acquisition etc. in battery manufacturing?  The lack of design uniqueness nowadays stems from significant government restrictions in emissions, mileage, safety, etc.  Taken from that perspective, Porsche has created an engineering masterpiece!

One question though.  How the hell did they run this on the N'ring without anyone noticing?  With all the spy photographers out there this is a feat in and of itself! 

- AMoore - 03-04-2010

Are you kidding me.  This car is a technological marvel and stunningly beautiful.  If anything it looks like a combination Carrera GT / Spyker.  Yes, assuming you do not use your brakes, it will only go sixteen miles on electric power if you run out of gas.  Any car I've ever owned doesn't go anywhere if I run out of gas.  The idea of harnessing energy from the necessity of braking is marvelous.  Admittedly, we should be concerned with battery disposal, just like we should be concerned with the disposal of waste generated by nuclear power plants, a much more dangerous issue.  That simply means we should work toward finding proper disposal methods. 

Cmon' folks, does the FoxNews cool-aid pump directly out of your PC and TV and into your veins?

- JoeP - 03-04-2010

Aaron:  I spent 20 years working in the energy industry, much of that dealing with environmental issues.  Electric vehicles make no sense in mass usage unless the electricity is essentially free and comes from completely non-polluting sources.  Please note that this does NOT include solar or wind. Politicians from both parties change laws to subsidize these things into existance, but they cannot change the laws of Thermodynamics. The production of electricity is unavoidably inefficient.  There are significant transmission losses, and we are burning the fuel anyway - unless we increase nuclear production tenfold.  Talking about electric vehicles diverts us away from the hard decisions we should be making.

The only substantive benefit provided by electric vehicles is that they allow you to pollute remotely.  That is why California loves them.  You drive the car in LA but burn the coal somewhere else.

- AMoore - 03-04-2010

JoeP wrote:
Quote:Aaron: I spent 20 years working in the energy industry, much of that dealing with environmental issues. Electric vehicles make no sense in mass usage unless the electricity is essentially free and comes from completely non-polluting sources. Please note that this does NOT include solar or wind. Politicians from both parties change laws to subsidize these things into existance, but they cannot change the laws of Thermodynamics. The production of electricity is unavoidably inefficient. There are significant transmission losses, and we are burning the fuel anyway - unless we increase nuclear production tenfold. Talking about electric vehicles diverts us away from the hard decisions we should be making.

The only substantive benefit provided by electric vehicles is that they allow you to pollute remotely. That is why California loves them. You drive the car in LA but burn the coal somewhere else.
Can someone tell me how electric power generated from braking causes pollution? I'm not talking about plug in vehicles. Admittedly, battery disposal could be a problem, but certainly a problem that should be solved in lieu of dismissing the technology.

- AMoore - 03-04-2010

emayer wrote:
Quote:The lack of design uniqueness nowadays stems from significant government restrictions in emissions, mileage, safety, etc.

When something unique sells, it is no longer unique.

Nonetheless, irrespective of goverment regualtions, cars are exponentially faster, more efficient, more user friendly, and safer than they were just a few years ago. As long as there is competition, cars will get better.

It is true that government regulation in the 70s yeilded garbage vehicles. That is becasue there was much less competition then.

- Darren - 03-04-2010

AMoore wrote:
Quote:Can someone tell me how electric power generated from braking causes pollution? I'm not talking about plug in vehicles. Admittedly, battery disposal could be a problem, but certainly a problem that should be solved in lieu of dismissing the technology.
Sure, if your electric power is coming solely from slowing the car then you are essentially recovering energy that would otherwise be lost to heat. I don't think that actually produces enough battery power to drive the car very far. You'll still need to plug the car in when you get home and charge it.

- Darren - 03-04-2010

AMoore wrote:
Quote:Nonetheless, irrespective of goverment regualtions, cars are exponentially faster, more efficient, more user friendly, and safer than they were just a few years ago. As long as there is competition, cars will get better.
Where do I start with that one???

Cars are entirely too expensive because of all of the government mandated safety, emissions, etc....

If the car costs $2000 more than it should, that takes a long time to recover for a few mpg better. If you're driving 10k miles a year and your car gets 30 mpg vs 25 mpg, that is a difference of 70 gallons/year or $210/year. It would take you 10 years to make that difference up!