Riesentöter Forums
What are RTR's current thoughts? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: What are RTR's current thoughts? (/showthread.php?tid=22)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-25-2006

Sadly, I missed the meeting where club racing was to be discussed. Can someone post here about what the discussion was like and where RTR may be headed? I won't be ready to drive next year, but I do have an interest in club racing and would like to volunteer if I can help the club.

- Tony356993 - 07-25-2006

Chris,

I think Mike is trying to get RTR a club race if the wizard behind the curtain allows Thunderbolt to be built.

I would like to attend a race as a spectator but the w/e clash @ the Glen is always a conflict with a DE for me. I might try and get to Potomac's event @ Summit (10/6-8)since it is pretty close.

- smankow - 07-25-2006

At the meeting last week, the discussions were about being a Club Racer not when/if RTR will host an event.

We had a round table discussion with several current racers about the different classes, weekend events, etc.  They felt that many of our Red/Black drivers would be competitive in this forum.

Steve

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-25-2006

I hope we can sponsor a race. I'd very much like to see one from the inside, as a worker but not a driver.

- Larry Herman - 07-25-2006

I'd love another nearby club race! Big Grin

- Mike Andrews - 07-26-2006

Guys,

I can add some insight to this.

The problem is not whether we want to have another club race, but where would we have it?

There are already races at the tracks that we use.  Well, not counting Jefferson Circuit and Shenandoah Circuit.  I don't think either of those track would be fun to race on.

Those of you that have been on board a while can remember back to when we talked about racing at Formula Motorsports, which never materialized.  We talked about racing at Rausch Creek, again it never materialized and then the Shenandoah Circuit.  That track has been built but after driving it I don't think it would be a track that people would enjoy racing on.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

We even proposed a charity race to the folks at Daytona but it conflicted with an event that Brian Redman was putting together.

There is now a track being considered/built in NJ and we have expressed interest in acquiring a date for a club race.  But I can also assume other clubs have as well. 

So, as you can see it’s not for a lack of trying.  And I suppose we could replace one of our DE’s with a race but the general feeling is that it’s not worth taking something away from our members to host a second race at one of these tracks (and that’s assuming national would allow it).  

So, here we are.  There is considerable interest in a club race, but we can’t find a suitable location.

Now, here’s what I would love to do.  Anybody have any connections with the appropriate people to help/allow us to put together a race through the streets of Philly????  Or Fairmount Park?  Or??????

Regards,

Michael 

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-26-2006

Mike Andrews wrote:
Quote:Anybody have any connections with the appropriate people to help/allow us to put together a race through the streets of Philly???? Or Fairmount Park? Or??????
Mike, if Paul Newman could not get us a race on city streets I believe there is NO chance that we could (good looking as you are).

What is the word on Thunderbolt Raceway? I heard that a few months ago that Paul Walsack flew over the site and saw dirt being moved. What is the most effective way for us to get a race there? Should we have one at another of our venues first to demonstrate our ability? Do we need to lobby "national"?

- Brian Minkin - 07-26-2006

Regarding racing at Shenendoah - It is my understanding that SCCA is going to race there this year in the fall.  So it looks like Shenendoah is growing on the racing crowd.

- Mike Andrews - 07-26-2006

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Mike, if Paul Newman could not get us a race on city streets I believe there is NO chance that we could (good looking as you are).

What is the word on Thunderbolt Raceway? I heard that a few months ago that Paul Walsack flew over the site and saw dirt being moved. What is the most effective way for us to get a race there? Should we have one at another of our venues first to demonstrate our ability? Do we need to lobby "national"?

Chris,

Paul Who???? *grin*

I didn't say it would be easy, I just said that's what I would like to do. I don't know of any other region that runs a street circuit club race (I think there is a POC event) and I think it would be appealing to a lot of drivers.

I heard that as well. But still no commitment on when the track will be completed and when they will put cars on the track.

The problem isn't with national. They've been very supportive of our attempts to pick up another club race. The issue will be if the track management will be willing to give us the opportunity to host a race.

- Phokaioglaukos - 07-26-2006

Let's consider a race at Shenandoah. It might increase our chances of getting a date from Thunderbolt and we could probably do it fairly easily. I'm not sure how much financial risk we would run if we cannot get sufficient participation, but I think it worth exploring.

A full court press with marching bands and flowers and fireworks makes sense to me to try to get a date with Thunderbolt. Several of us have sent in our $500 to get on their list and I bet some one of us has an idea how to push that.