Riesentöter Forums
VIR Club Race - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: VIR Club Race (/showthread.php?tid=2358)

- ninjabones - 06-28-2010

Many thanks to the event organizers and volunteers for making the 7-hour drive and braving the intolerable heat so that I could drive around in circles all weekend.  I had a blast. Special thanks to the RTR crew that showed up including event organizers (Mike Andrews, Brian and Terry Minkin, and Tom Zafarano), volunteers (Myles Diamond, Steve Hoaglund, and Jim & Robin Zelinski, Lainey "Landstra"), and fellow racers (Dan Yonker, Kenny Nielson, and John Giannone).  

It was a draining weekend (hot hot hot), but tons of track time and lots of great racing.  The heat took it's toll on everyone, but was particularly brutal to those without Cool Suits.  One racer was actually ambulanced to a local hospital for severe heat injury.

VIR is a fantastic course and a top-notch facility.  I brought my father down with me, to watch me race for the first time.  He had a blast, and finally started to understand why it is that we do this crazy sport. 

The track sponsored a test-and-tune session on Thursday evening, which was extremely helpful for me as I hadn't been to VIR since my second DE event.  I had a tough time getting my lap times down in the test-and-tune sessions, but things progressed much more rapidly during the practice sessions on Friday, as I had a few in-class "rabbits" to chase and learn the correct line.  We also had the fortune of a fantastic lecture by David Murray on Friday evening, where he outlined his tricks to getting around VIR quickly. 

There were two run groups, each with about 50 cars.  My group (black) included all stock/prepared cars up to G (my class), GT5S, and all boxster and 944 spec series.  That put me right up front, which was fun running for overall position in the race. However, there was a huge speed differential, and closing speeds on some of the slower cars were scary (mostly in the practice sessions). During the race, due to the length of the track, we only started to encounter lap traffic about half-way through the race.

In my run group, I had no chance to hang with the two front-running GT5S cars (the two white 911s in row 1 at the start of the video), who were both running about 2 seconds in front of the rest of the pack.  In G class, I had two main competitors: Jimmy Martin (red 964, gridded in front of me at the start in row 2) was consistently besting me by 1 second.  Andy Hansen (blue/red ’95 993 gridded to my left at the start) and I were pretty much dead even up to that point. There were also about 8 other out-of-class cars, running right at about my lap times.  So competition up front was going to be tight, especially at the start.  The three other biggest threats were Kevin Healey (black GT5S 993, against whom I ran at NJMP last august, gridded behind me), Del Aubrey (light blue D class 911 in the row behind me) and Dan Roach (red F-class 964 – gridded 4th).

The First sprint didn't go so well.  I had qualified well (6th) and made up one spot on the start. However, I cooked it going in to turn 1 at about lap 4 and went "agro".  Lost three or four spots before getting back to the track.  Ended up finishing third in class and 7th overall.

Did much better in the second sprint. Qualified 5[suP]th[/suP] (nice to have the inside line going into 1 on the start).  Had a great battle with Andy Hansen (blue red 993). We had a few back-and-forth passes, but I made the final pass at the double-yellow restart, and managed to keep him behind me for the rest of the race.  I'm not sure what happed to the front running G-car, but I ended up passing him going into oak tree near the end of the race (he must have had an off or mechanical issue). Turned a personal best 2:12.6 and was able to hold on to the lead to take the G-class win and fourth place overall.  

race starts at 8:50 in the video

double yellow at 13:40, restart at 18:40

finish is at 41:20 (I'm not usually the fist-pumping kind of guy... but I guess I couldn't control myself on this one)

http://www.vimeo.com/12902028

- Marty Kocse - 06-28-2010

Glen,

Great race!  I wish I had the nerves to be able to compete like that.  It looks like an absolute blast and VIR is one of the best tracks around.

Marty

- Jimbeau - 06-28-2010

Your self-control is impressive since I found myself wanting to tap a couple of those guys in the rear just from watching the video, but I know that brings about the dreaded 13-13.  Big Grin

- Brian Minkin - 06-28-2010

Glen,

Great racing!  I enjoyed watching you compete and was cheering for you every lap. Congrats on the podium finish.

- Tony356993 - 06-28-2010

Glen

Nice driving. Congrats. Fist pump ok. Watch overlooking in your rear view. Around the 21 minute mark the white and red 911 with huge wing got you off your groove a bit and caused you to alter your line and break points and that lead to some sawing. That guy was very quick and he will get around you on his terms and schedule so know hes there but keep consistent driving Really great driving and excellent vid.

- Lainey - 07-01-2010

G,
You were amazing... it was fun watching you from the snack bar and cheering as you went by. The bar has been set for those of us "aspiring racers" to follow ....

Brian/Terri, Michael, Tom (and fellow volunteers!) put on a fantastic event - I stayed with Steve for the National Corvette Museum HPDE right after the Club Race and there were some Corvette guys who did our Zone 2 DE with the race -- they said they hope to be back next year. (that's at least 4 Corvettes, one from FL)

Brian, I know you were behind a big push for the DE to happen the way it did - thank you for convincing "the PCA powers that be" to keep it as a part of the program. It really is a way to showcase the fun of club racing -- it was my first race and most memorable track experience to date. Obviously got me thinking about the possibilities- also helped talking to many of the drivers thanks to my assignment with David Murry. All great people and such great cars!

Just next time, I'd like to put in a request for it to be a little cooler....

- scwaters - 07-01-2010

Lainey - Be careful what you wish for.  You haven't experienced VIR until you've spent three days in 38 degree rain.  Ask Brian.