Riesentöter Forums
The Official VIR Zone 2 Thread - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: The Official VIR Zone 2 Thread (/showthread.php?tid=242)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- Tony356993 - 03-07-2007

We met at the car show event and I know you are ready to get to the track. As someone with a turbo car, I know that anyone can go fast in a straight line. It has taken time to really learn proper braking and proper smoothness. This only comes with track time.

As an instructor, I judge a student by their ability to hit every apex, have excellent vision and track awareness, superior judgement, smoothness on throttle application,smooth application and coming off the brake, smooth steering imputs, and also speed.

Speed is not everything. Seat time is everything. I'm glad you got the bug. I'm glad you are looking for further instruction. Speed comes with smoothness!!!!!

Remember, if any of us were really superior drivers with superior skills, we would be paid to drive race cars not pay to drive our cars.

Have fun and be safe.

- Larry Herman - 03-07-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:Remember, if any of us were really superior drivers with superior skills, we would be paid to drive race cars not pay to drive our cars.
Maybe some of us just never got the opportunity. [Image: bigwink.gif]

Sorry Larry - Wink

[b]Fri
Mar 16[/b]
[Image: 30.gif?12122006]
Partly Cloudy
64°[/b]/38°
0%

Alton, VA - So far so good.

- Sechsgang - 03-07-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:We met at the car show event and I know you are ready to get to the track. As someone with a turbo car, I know that anyone can go fast in a straight line. It has taken time to really learn proper braking and proper smoothness. This only comes with track time.

As an instructor, I judge a student by their ability to hit every apex, have excellent vision and track awareness, superior judgement, smoothness on throttle application,smooth application and coming off the brake, smooth steering imputs, and also speed.

Speed is not everything. Seat time is everything. I'm glad you got the bug. I'm glad you are looking for further instruction. Speed comes with smoothness!!!!!

Remember, if any of us were really superior drivers with superior skills, we would be paid to drive race cars not pay to drive our cars.

Have fun and be safe.

Absolutely, from every person I have ever talked to about, smoothness seems to be the key...

I was listening to your car a bit yesterday, sounds great! Hope you get that motronic worked out!

Also,
Anyone have any experience with hawk ht 10s on the track...Bill just outfitted my car with them...they feel great on the street, but I havnt gotten to really "bite" into em yet...

- Sechsgang - 03-07-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:[b]Fri
Mar 16[/b]
Partly Cloudy
64°[/b]/38°
0%

That would be great!

- smankow - 03-07-2007

I've used the HT10 on my 996 and really like them.  They have a great initial bite that allowed me to brake a little deeper into the corner.  I wouldn't use them on the street as they need to be hot before you get any meaningful bite.  Without heat, they will not stop your car.

They are an aggressive pad, so you really need to be careful until you know how they'll work.  Again, I would not use them on the street.  They are a track/race pad not a street pad. 

Steve

- Brian Minkin - 03-07-2007

Tony356993 wrote:
Quote:[b]Fri
Mar 16[/b]
Partly Cloudy
64°[/b]/38°
0%

Tony,

I gonna hold you to this!

No problem - mark it down. Wait to see what I'll promise for Saturday.

- Sechsgang - 03-07-2007

Ya, from the small bit of driving I did on them, the feel quite similar to the pads that were on the forumla dodge cars I drove a bit ago....I acutally found them (albeit extremely noisy) fine for the the couple back roads I got to jont on a bit...

The only thing that I am not clear about is the break in procedure, Bill Dougherty told me to just drive on them normally for a couple of days to get them "unbrandspankin -newed"...but I though those pads required a series of 90-20 stops and other similar race conditions to give them the required heat cycles...???

Well, the pads are on the car and the car isnt being driven untill the DE anyway, so thats not a problem.