Riesentöter Forums
1973 911T restoration - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: 1973 911T restoration (/showthread.php?tid=2743)

- John Ward - 05-01-2011

Hey Folks

I am new to the forum and would like to post a few general questions. Has anyone had any experience working on early 911s'?

I am beginning by replacing a rusted 911 suspension pan. Has anyone had experience dropping the front torsion bar and wishbone. Also, has anyone removed the gas tank on these early models and is there a quick and easy way to siphon out about 5 gallons of gas from the tank before removing it.

Finally, anyone know a good place within 25 miles of Reading, PA where I can rent a spot welder for a day.

This is just a start on what should be a rather large project so I lool forward to any insights and advice any members can give me.

Well time to crawl under and get to work. Look forward to hearing from you

John Ward

- cjbcpa - 05-01-2011

John,

I don't have any advice to offer but I do admire your ambition. I have often day-dreamed about restoring a Porsche so I look forward to hearing more about your progress.

There are plenty of resources in the area that can assist with parts and advice. Come to one of our member meetings. I'm sure the organizers would offer you the chance to describe your project and needs to the group. There's sure to be lots of interest.

Good luck and hopefully you will use this space to document your progress so the rest of us can live vicariously through your project.

CB

- ccm911 - 05-02-2011

Get on the Pelican Parts 911 Forum.  There are a ton of threads dealing with the restoration of early 911s.  Many have photos, and the front pan is a really popular project.

Please post some photos, as this really sounds like a neat project. 

As for the welder, check on Craig's List.  I know of a few folks that have bought them for a really good deal.

- Larry Herman - 05-02-2011

John Ward wrote:
Quote:Has anyone had experience dropping the front torsion bar and wishbone. Also, has anyone removed the gas tank on these early models and is there a quick and easy way to siphon out about 5 gallons of gas from the tank before removing it.

Quite easy. Just unscrew the height adjuster screws on the torsion bars to remove the tension and unbolt everything.

As far as the gas, Pep Boys used to tha a great little device called a shaker siphon. Just stick it injto the tank and shake it and the siphon will start. There are a few on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120672106729&hlp=false&rvr_id=229272666581&crlp=1_263602_304652&UA=WXI7&GUID=8d332d0b12e0a0a9e9136733ff6e8c75&itemid=120672106729&ff4=263602_304652

- John Ward - 05-03-2011

Thanks Chris

I will be sure to take some pictures and post a detailed description of my progress

- John Ward - 05-03-2011

Thanks Chris

I just discovered the Pelican Forum and have not had a chance to explore it further. I will get right on it. I have pulled the hood, front bumper/stone shield and misc. parts in the trunk. I have to siphon the gas tank empty and remove it and then I can get a better picture of what I Have to cut away as far as the suspension pan

- John Ward - 05-03-2011

Thanks Larry

I wonder if it might be as simple to merely disconnect the fuel line at the gauge in the engine compartment, hook up a line and let the electric fuel pump discharge into a gas can? There also looks like easy access to the tank in the trunk for siphoning

John

- Larry Herman - 05-03-2011

You will have to provide power to the pump because IIRC it only runs for a few seconds to pressurize everything, and then stops until you start the engine.

- JimWirt - 05-07-2011

You could just pull the hose off the bottom of the tank and catch the gas in something under the car.