Riesentöter Forums
Soft top with glass - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Boxster/Cayman (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: Soft top with glass (/showthread.php?tid=2916)

- tamagee - 10-12-2011

Has anyone replaced their Boxster soft top with a glass window one?  I've seen a few options online ranging $500 - $1000.

Terry M.

- Brian Minkin - 10-12-2011

I have been looking at this for our Boxster. Be aware that the window size is much smaller with the glass window. In addition to the cost of the top I have been quoted $700 for installation.

- mwestboxster - 12-21-2011

I am considering this option for our '02 boxster. I thought the glass version would offer a smaller window, but how much smaller are we talking about? The field of vision out the rear is not exactly the greatest now, how much more would it be compromised? But, on the other hand would this be off-set by the new clarity of the glass window? I've also read comments that the glass window may inhibit access to the engine compartment. Is this true? And how much of a problem is it?

But, from what I could tell all these comments were "hear-say". I did not see any comments from anyone that has actually done this.

One of the other benefits of doing this is the ability to change the top color from boring black to whatever?

My current top is actually in pretty good condition. The plastic window though not perfect is reasonably clear. And with periodic cleaning with a plastic cleaner/scratch remover it clears up pretty well.

I am wondering if the old top would be sale-able and help reduce the cost of the replacement.

But, getting back to my real question:
Has anyone actually replaced their plastic window top with the glass version and are they happy with it?
Which supplier top did they use?

I've seen these tops offered by:
GAHH at around $1000, and I've seen them sold by Cabrioworld (Panorama advertiser) and by Autotops Direct. Cabrioworld and Autotops Direct are selling these at 1/2 the price of GAHH.

The descriptions of the tops, the material used, sound insulation, the way the glass is attached to the tops all sounds the same. They all offer the same color options too. And they all come with the electric defroster in the glass and the wiring harnesses for the defroster.

- tamagee - 01-16-2012

I was considering Autotops Direct - http://www.autotopsdirect.com/Boxster-Glass-Windows-s/97.htm

Purchased a hard top for the winter, so I'll reevaluate in the spring.

I even looked at doing the replacement myself.  Not the most complicated procedure, but getting the fit right looks like a time consuming process.

Terry

- mwestboxster - 05-18-2012

Replaced top on my '02 Boxster with glass rear window top. Could not be happier with end result. Concerns about smaller window are unfounded. Glass is same size as plastic horizontally and is slightly shorter in height. But, the loss of height is at the bottom of the window where it has absolutely Zero impact on visibility. Visibility out the rear is better then when car was new. Top came with electrical connections for defroster, plugged right into the connections already in the car. Got the top from GAHH as suggested by my installer. He has been using their tops for years and is confident in their fit and quality. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Haartz A-5 fabric to be a better quality then the OE top coming off the car. The heavier weight cloth and the glass window make for a quieter interior ride. An unexpected plus. My top was in perfect shape, no wear spots or tears, but the plastic window had developed a 2" slit that was only going to get bigger. So it was time to replace. Yes the glass top does make it more difficult to access the engine, but a friend who is a Master Porsche Tech said, yes it's a bit more of a PITA to access, but that should not deter me from getting a better top on my car.
Also took this opportunity to go from a black top to blue. Makes the car look like a whole new Boxster.

- Porshagod - 05-19-2012

How much did everything cost and who installed it?

- mwestboxster - 05-19-2012

I used a local shop in the Trenton area. They do everything from full vintage car interior and top restorations to replacing a windshield on a Miata. Over the years they have put new tops on my 66 Mustang, my 350z and 300zx, my Miata's, new top and interior on my 64 230sl. I think that about covers it. Bottom line they charged $1500 including the GAHH A-5 top. I think they cut me some significant slack. The install was meticulous and perfect. The shop is Kisthardt's Upholstery in Ewing, N.J. On 4th St.
Speak with Kevin if you're interested in getting this done.