Riesentöter Forums
newbie introduction - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: newbie introduction (/showthread.php?tid=323)

- michael lang - 02-24-2007

Hello everyone, I've have been lurking on this website for the last couple of months anxietly waiting for the DE registration to open & I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael Lang & I live about an hour north of Wash D.C. I have wanted to own a Porsche for atleast 20 years prior to my purchasing one. I have had mine for about two & a half years. It's an '89 Carrera that has only 56k. Just a garage queen before I got. My driver training has consisted of HPDC with Potomac (that when I got the bug). I then autocrossed a couple of times with Potomac & once with PCA CPA (I really started getting the fever). Last season I did every autocross event with PCA CPA (Mark Bolt really taught me alot) and a FATT event at Summit Point (I'm so hooked now). I go to Summit Point several times a month from April-Nov during track season, it's easy because I'm less than an hour car ride from door to track. This season, I've decided to do less autoX and focus on DE. Although I may not get out as much, I feel I am at the point in my training that I am ready for the challenges that DE gives. Last season was excellent because I really focused on momentum maintenance and traffic management (when I was on the autoX course I used the cones as traffic).  This season my goals are to become very smooth, especially in the area of momentum maintenace. My instructor at FATT was very impressed at how well I did at listening and following instruction while on the track. I understand, that doing anything in life takes less time to learn if you just emulate what other successful people are already doing successfully. Thanks for listening and I really look forward to getting to know you guys this season.

- bobt993 - 02-24-2007

Mike,

Welcome and it sounds like you are hooked.  SP is a great track, (just  needs some new pavement).  We run a few events there including Shenandoah, so hopefully you can attend. 

Bob T.

- jakp993 - 02-24-2007

Welcome aboard Mike!

You sound like the ideal student - you're going to have instructors clamoring over you Big Grin

Hope to see you at the track!

Jack

Yeah, I know. I was actually hoping to get to the Nov. event last year but just couldn't make it. The timing of the April event is perfect for my schedule right now & I have blocked that weekend so there are hopefully no interruptions from work. The boss seems to be okay with it as well since she agreed to go solo with the monsters that weekend. Looks like I'm cleared for take off!

jakp993 wrote:
Quote:Welcome aboard Mike!

You sound like the ideal student - you're going to have instructors clamoring over you Big Grin

Hope to see you at the track!

Jack

Well, I'm not trying to be the "belle of the ball" I just want to go get some stress relief and learn something at the same time. I'll try very hard not to be in anyone's way. Thanks for welcoming me.

- smankow - 02-24-2007

Mike, we're going online with the April event with Motorsportreg.com (see thread).  Make sure that you get registered with them so that you will be able to sign up.

Steve

Truth be told, I have gone to the RTR website on a daily basis this month to check to if registration had opened. Monday, I think, is when the Motosportreg link was attached to the DE section. I registered with them thinking that I could then sign up only to find out I had to wait another 10 days to register for the event. April 28-29 cannot get here soon enough. I am so looking forward to this season!

- Tony356993 - 02-24-2007

Mike,

Welcome! You are off to a great start in your driving progress. Keep an open mind and keep asking questions. We have all been newbies at one point.
Quote:The boss seems to be okay with it as well since she agreed to go solo with the monsters that weekend
If you really want to be smooth, have "the boss" start driving DE's also. Women are generally smoother than men. Less testosterone. Big Grin

I ran for 2 years solo and then my wife finally said she would give it a try. She figured if she was going to be a track widow she might as well sign up and drive. She's now an addict also.

Be sure to say hello @ Shenandoah.

Yes I will look you up at the track. I have been slowly introducing the idea over the last couple of years. At first, the idea of going to the track was completely out of the question, but now that my kids are becoming a little more independent and don't need to be constantly looked after I think that Shelly will start coming along with me if for any reason to just to spend time with me since Mercedes takes all my time during the week.