Riesentöter Forums
Interior Cleaning/ Restoration - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Interior Cleaning/ Restoration (/showthread.php?tid=3243)

- emayer - 09-05-2012

Folks,

I'm considering a restoration of a low-mileage 993 turbo that's been dormant for quite awhile.  Has mold on the interior, kinda like my college fridge used to have.

Anyone have recommendations for interior cleaning/ restoration work?

Much appreciated!

- LouZ - 09-05-2012

Eric

Contact Brian Minkin - Fabrion Pendel, his business is seat & top repair!

- emayer - 09-05-2012

Oh man! I totally forgot. Thx Lou

- LouZ - 09-05-2012

BTW - know any pee-pee docs?Wink

- emayer - 09-06-2012

I forgot!  Big Grin

And here I thought I was a plumber....

- ccm911 - 09-06-2012

Eric - I had the same thing happen to my Targa when it sat for a long time many years ago. I just cleaned the leather down with Saddle Soap, and then let the interior dry out with the windows open. Once I knew that the interior was completely dry, I followed up with some leather conditioner(any Brand, your choice).

To this day, my leather smells like new.

- emayer - 09-07-2012

Thanks for the advice.  Any issues with mold persisting in harder to reach areas such as A/C vents, under seats, etc.?

- ccm911 - 09-07-2012

emayer wrote:
Quote:Thanks for the advice. Any issues with mold persisting in harder to reach areas such as A/C vents, under seats, etc.?

Eric - Once we got things dried out, it all went away. You could also spray some cleaner into those areas if you suspect any further mold. But a good thorough vacuum should handle the carpets. My vents were fine.

And I think it goes without saying that you want to avoid any product containing bleach. Smile

- Brian Minkin - 09-07-2012

OK time to chirp in.  What is in the car is mildew. Both mold and mildew grow from airborne spores but mold tends to grow mostly on foods and mildew on other surfaces.  Mildew comes in 2 forms.  If you are lucky the mildew is a dusty type which can be wiped away as was the case with Chris. I think if I remember correctly that the spores for this type come from flowers. If not the mildew is the type that roots deeply into the surface and is not powdery. Even when wiped off this type will continue to grow and in general can not be wiped off totally but rather leaves what appears to be a residue. Think about mildew in boat cushions.  Without special chemicals that kill the spores you can not get rid of it.

For cars with this type of mildew we clean all visible surfaces with a chemical designed to specifically kill and remove mildew.  Of course if there is mildew in visible areas there is also mildew in impossible to reach areas. For this we use a gas to kill the mildew so it does not continue to grow.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the car Eric is interested in has the powdery type of mildew. Still would suggest a gassing of the car even if this is the case.

- emayer - 09-08-2012

Thank you for the excellent explanation Brian. Having seen the car briefly, I believe the mold is of the powdery type. I wasn't aware that it could be gassed which certainly simplifies dealing with difficult to access areas.

I've forwarded your business contact info. Regardless of what the owner does, if I eventually buy the car it'll be heading your way!

After all, everyone should have an air-cooled 911 on their bucket list.... :dude: