Riesentöter Forums
IMS replacment - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Boxster/Cayman (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: IMS replacment (/showthread.php?tid=3376)

IMS replacment - tamagee - 03-23-2013

With all the discussion around IMS bearing failures recently, I'm getting a little worried. How many members have done a preemptive replacement? Did you use OEM, Pelican, or LN?

Terry

RE: IMS replacment - MylesD55 - 03-25-2013

Terry,

I know of at least three members (me included) who have replaced the IMS preemtivly. All of us used LN bearings.

Note that the current LN bearing replacment is suposedly only good for 50K, which I assume is longer than the OEM or Pelican replacment bearings. LN has recently come out with a new kit out that looks like it will permanently solve the problem for $1,500 +/-. This kit only works for motors with single row bearings.

The job requires the trans to come out so you typically end up replacing the clutch, RMS, and oil/air seperator while you are in there. So the parts costs add up quickly, not to mention the hours.

If you are thinking about doing the job yourself, I have the LN removal/install tool. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

Myles

RE: IMS replacment - tamagee - 03-25-2013

My Boxster is Tip, so not much need to replace clutch Smile Still, I prefer to do what I can myself. Any estimate on time required?

Terry

RE: IMS replacment - MylesD55 - 03-26-2013

I would estimate about 10 -15 hours (could be more depening on how much beer you drink while working). We started on a Friday night and by Saturday evening we had the trans back in. A few hours on Sunday to button everything up and then out the door. Both cars were 6 speed 996s, so I'm not sure if a Boxster is more or less work.

RE: IMS replacment - tamagee - 05-16-2013

For those of you who did the replacement, where did you purchase the bearing? Raby says they only sell to shops. I might consider letting a shop do it if they're price is reasonable. Might go with the "solution" if I have to have a shop do it.

Terry

RE: IMS replacment - tamagee - 05-16-2013

Nevermind. Pelican has the parts. Just need to decide if I should DIY or shop it. Maybe combine with exhaust upgrade.

Terry

RE: IMS replacment - tamagee - 06-03-2013

I've started the IMS replacement process. However I'm not sure how to use the cam lock tool included. Maybe I'm just missing something. Does anyone have better instructions or pictures?

Thanks,
Terry

RE: IMS replacment - MylesD55 - 06-03-2013

For a 3 chain 996 motor (2003);

1. Set motor to TDC #1 cylinder
2. Insert locking pin through crank pulley and into case (I believe that the pin will only align at #1 TDC)
3. Find and remove the cam cover plugs (you can reuse these if you are careful and don't damage them)
4. Insert locking tool and secure with bolt (end of cams have slot on them that will line up with the locking tool)
5. Release (remove) the timing chain tensioners. Warning - oil will come out with them.

Now the timing is locked in place and you can remove the old IMS.

Sorry no pictures. If you have a 5 chain motor, there is an additional locking tool that is usually included with the kit. The LN kit comes with detailed instructions for this step (maybe a copy of their instructions are posted somewhere). It is critical that you don't alter the timing during the removal/install.