Riesentöter Forums
System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Boxster/Cayman (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S (/showthread.php?tid=3485)

Pages: 1 2

System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S - Vidal - 06-22-2013

Shortly after starting the rally at Saturday's club event, the System Fault Airbag light came on. Angry

Searching the web, I see there are many possible reasons for the fault and includes a faulty seat belt receptacle, crash sensor, wire connectors, battery or alternator. The car is always garaged, the battery is relatively new (less than two years old) and always on a tender. So, I doubt it's the battery although that can easily be checked. The alternator is a possibility because I've read this can become an issue when a car is not driven often (it's a 2005 Boxster S with only 15k miles). The belt receptacles, crash sensor(s) and wire connectors are possible also.

The best way to begin sorting this out is to first read the fault code using a Durametric diagnostic scanner. Does anyone perhaps have one I can use? Angel I would prefer to have some idea of what's wrong before taking it to the dealer or attempt a repair myself.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice!

RE: System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S - LouZ - 06-23-2013

Vidal

Won't you get the code # with a standard OBD II reader?

here's a list from Pelican website:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxster-cayman-forum/596544-boxster-obd-ii-fault-code-listing.html

EDIT:

WOW...I SEE THAT IT CAN'T BE RESET WITH AN OBD II READER!

RE: System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S - Vidal - 06-23-2013

Hi Lou,

I wasn't thinking about OBD II because it is mostly engine and emissions Dx (confirmed by looking at the list in that post). But, some of what may have triggered the fault may be engine compartment related. I would have thought that would trigger a CEL, but maybe it did throw a CEL and then switched to the airbag fault. So, I may as well run it and at least rule out some things.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Saw that a big culprit is the contact within the seatbelt latch. They recommend spraying contact cleaner into the latch, but this won't reset the idiot light.

RE: System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S - Bill Lehman - 06-23-2013

Standard Durametric will give you the codes but you can not reset the warning lights.

So, my only option for resetting the warning light is the dealer? Or, finding someone with the Pro version of the Durametric system? Is so, looks like I may have to go to a dealer or Porsche garage. That's too bad, I wouldn't mind delving into this a bit myself.

I'll get some contact cleaner and shoot it into the seat belt receptacles just to rule that out.

Many thanks for the input!

RE: System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S - Bill Lehman - 06-23-2013

Yes, You need the Pro version or shop with PWIS. Some dealers are reluctant to clear the codes and turn off whatever is causing them. Bodymotion in Ocean Twp, NJ will do this. I have the light because I replaced my OEM seats with GT3 seats. I live with the warning light. I cleared the codes with my std Durametric but they returned after restarting the car.

Rennlist poster states that 40 on/off clicks of the ignition will turn off the light. Worth the try.

I agree, Lou, that is an easy one to try. I will give it a go. Many thanks for your input - it's greatly appreciated!

RE: System Fault Airbag: 2005 Boxster S - MylesD55 - 06-24-2013

My 03 996 has repetedly thrown an airbag light, which we traced to the passenger side seat belt receptacle. The only way to reset the light and clear the code was with the durametric software. I replaced the receptacle, reset the light/cleared code and 6 months later the light is now on again. I'm going to replace the belt receptacle again, but am begining to wonder if there is something wrong with the wiring harness under the seat. I seem to remember reading a post about a grounding issue with the harness.