Riesentöter Forums
Print vs electronic - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Der Gasser (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Print vs electronic (/showthread.php?tid=3517)

Pages: 1 2

Print vs electronic - fve - 07-29-2013

Not many people seem to come to this part of the forum so not sure how much discussion this will engender...

But, anyhoo. I have discussed this issue with many RTR members. I rarely look at der gasser any longer. From a marketing and promotional stand point, going to an electronic only DG was a very poor move. I too thought it was potentially a waste of money for the club to pay for a physical newsletter, but in hindsight I was wrong. If nothing else, it is a physical and tangible means to reach casual members, promote events, show members what their club membership buys them.

Commentary anyone?

RE: Print vs electronic - NumeroUnoPA - 07-29-2013

Dodgy Dodgy Dodgy Dodgy Dodgy

I actually went through the reverse process. It was always good fodder for passing toilet time. In my initial reaction, I felt we would loose valuable members. But the new electonic version has been incredible. It has made it easy to email friends and try and recriut. I also feel the significant cost is better spent improving programs to retain members.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

RE: Print vs electronic - ccm911 - 07-30-2013

I am in the camp that misses the Print version.

But I understand the rationale behind the move, so I guess I will have to force myself to adapt.

RE: Print vs electronic - Vidal - 07-31-2013

You say that from a marketing and promotional stand point the switch to digital may have been a mistake. What is this comment actually based on? What are the metrics? Is it that vendors are not wanting to buy ads? Is it based on the number of views (or downloads) of the magazine? What's behind the statement?

I personally like the digital color version and easy access to previous issues is nice to have as well. In many ways, I don't miss the treeware version of Der Gasser but appreciate some may prefer it.

RE: Print vs electronic - saucerman - 08-01-2013

I truly understand from where people are coming from...I too miss the print version and I'm on the editorial staff but there are a ton variables in the decision to go to just the electronic version.

First and most important Der Gasser is fully created by volunteers who devote their time and effort to bring you the most up to date information as possible - it's not a paid position like National PCA - it's truly a volunteer position.

People love to bitch about things but rarely do they step up to the plate to help make things better.

To go back to a printed version we would have to chase down advertisers and believe me this is a very difficult job (the main reason no one wants to become an editor) and if someone wants to step up to the plate and chase down about $25,000 per year (the cost to bring all of our members 6 issues to your door step) please talk to our chief editor Dave Hathaway and he'll welcome you with open arms to Der Gasser staff.

Right now we really don't need advertising because we really don't have an out of pocket expense for print and mail. We get advertisers who want to advertise with us because we have vast array of members that they want to reach. We don't have to keep knocking on doors trying to convince them otherwise...again that takes a ton of time and effort to offset the cost of a printed copy.

If you look at our newsletter compared to other newsletters or even past newsletters there is a lot more content and interesting stories and we are striving to maintain this going forward.

Plus - in this day an age it takes a ton of time to create a print version instead of an electronic version. Even though there are 4 people on Der Gasser's editorial team it still takes more time and effort to create a printed version just because we would have to interface with a third party vendor in order to create and ship a printed version. When this happens we have to plan the layouts, as well plan way in advance of articles, and upcoming events, and thus the information can become quite stale by the time it reaches the mailbox.

I can tell you now the latest electronic version was viewed by over one thousand different members, in fact 1,047 to be exact as of today - a number that has been growing since the inception of the fully digital copy.

And this digital version can be read almost anywhere, the pdf version can be read on a smart phone or table so you can read it on the toilet if you are so inclined....use just can't use it in case you run out of toilet paper for which we do apologize.

Note - since Der Gasser has gone digital we have save 49 trees from the ax. 16 issues at 17 pages per (double sided) x 1500 members divided by 500 (pages per ream) divided by 16.67 (reams per tree).

RE: Print vs electronic - fve - 08-01-2013

To be clear, I was not suggesting doing away with the e version. I am simply suggesting that a print version would do a better job of reaching a different subset of club members.

It is also a physical reminder of the things the club does.

It is easier in some respects to share with other members: hand them your copy as folks from other branches of PCA have done to me.

My opinion is an opinion, not based on any "metrics." Heck, I am not even sure what that crap means, I am no marketing or advertising expert. This opinion is based on the fact that I miss the print version and many members with whom I have discussed it also miss the print version and rarely take the time to view the e version. Albeit, this is likely a very significant subset of members as these are all track folk.

The cost? I though the club as a tidy surplus. That seems like the least of the clubs concerns at this point.

the time and work that goes into it. Well, that is a very reasonable argument. Given the limited person and time resources, it make sense that it takes less person-time and other resources to create an e version vs. print version.

When this topic was being discussed by the board, members, I was one of those that felt that a print version was a waste of club money and resources. I am not so sure right now.

Just to throw out there, why not consider a print version quarterly. Say a best of with lots of photos, a summary of club activities and future activities that club members can hold and cherish...

Just a thought.

RE: Print vs electronic - ccm911 - 08-01-2013

How about an annual yearbook?

RE: Print vs electronic - saucerman - 08-01-2013

one thing we want to do, probably starting next year is to at least get a quarterly pamphlet/postcard to ALL members for upcoming events that they can magnetize to their fridge or something - you know, for the people who don't have internet access Big Grin

The "best of" is something we also tossed around and seems to be a worthy cause it just takes time and a huge amount of effort to do something like this as well as cost. Again we don't have people banging on our door to help out and volunteer - we have to work with what we have.

Right now we have a great resource of people who put a bunch of time and effort into our club be it DE or wine dinners or Der Gasser. Over the years we realize out of about 1500 members we really have only somewhere between 200 and 300 active members who show up to at least one event over the course of a year. It really is heartening sometimes to put a ton of effort into an event only to have a few people show but we come to realize that the people who do show certainly appreciate it and that's why we do it.

The other members of the club are just happy to be a part of PCA and sit quietly in the background and read their panarama - that's just human nature and actually it was me in the first year or so of PCA.

As for a tidy sum that the the club has...true we have a bit but we do have to keep a ton of that money for DE to secure tracks for the next year coming. We are also trying to give back to the people who support our events who come out and participate in Riesentoter events, like giving lunch to the people who show for driver's training, maybe a free set of tires to a lucky winner at DE, have some apps free of charge at one of our happy hours, or great door prizes at the holiday party.

Again our chairs put a ton of time and effort into bringing our members a variety of Riesentoter events to choose and yes getting a hard copy of events to more members does indeed help the cause but we are reaching a vast amount of members with email blast and the website as well as Der Gasser. The people who want to be a part of this club in a physical way (showing up at an event) I think are informed properly via technology.

I would argue if it seems the majority of our members are reading Der Gasser online via their smartphones, tablets, and computers, why would we need spend an enormous bundle of cash to satisfy the minority?

The thing I'm not arguing with is, yes a printed newsletter is a nice to have, I do miss it somewhat, so if someone wants to help minimize the cost and more so the effort, again please contact our editor.

RE: Print vs electronic - Vidal - 08-01-2013

Do we know how many members do not have an e-mail address associated with their membership? For those that do, it seems safe to assume that they have internet access, can download a digital copy of DG and, if they want, print out a paper copy to read or carry around. There' no cost to the club for this. If this much is safe to assume, then the question seems to be more how the club can give access to those that do not have internet access.

If the number of members sans e-mail addresses is significant, perhaps it would be nice to at least have a yearbook so they too can recap the year's activities and get pumped up for the coming year. However, without e-mail access, I don't see how they will be reminded of upcoming events and activities during the year (maybe just the monthly meetings can do this, if they attend?).

The world is changing. Almost everyone has internet access and an e-mail address. If those wanting a printed copy of DG can print their own, then that part of the problem is taken care of (no?). The question then is how we can keep those that are not e-connected in the loop. Perhaps a snail-mailing to those members without an e-mail address will keep them up to date, with the suggestion that they check the clubs web site for DG and other information (e.g., at the local library).

Maybe these thoughts are not what the OP was aiming for. I'm just trying to understand the issues and offer some solutions. Smile

RE: Print vs electronic - Phokaioglaukos - 10-01-2013

It's the way of the world. Just saw this story:

World’s oldest paper to go digital only

Lloyd’s List, which lays claim to be the world’s oldest continuously published newspaper, is to go digital only by the end of this year. The paper, founded in 1734, is regarded as the leading news, analysis and data source for the global shipping industry.

The decision by its owners, Informa, follows a survey of readers in June this year which showed that more than 97% prefer to access information online. Fewer than 2% read the print version.

Its editor, Richard Meade, said: “The digital approach offers new avenues and opportunities to innovate an up-to-the-minute service.”

Lloyd’s List first appeared as a notice pinned to the wall of a coffee shop in London. It now has 16,600 paying subscribers and charges about £1,800 for a single subscription.