Riesentöter Forums
Print vs electronic - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Der Gasser (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Print vs electronic (/showthread.php?tid=3517)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Print vs electronic - ninjabones - 01-17-2014

Kudos to the editorial team.. I was initially opposed to the transition. But now, I completely prefer the e-version. The content is great, photo quality / resolution is awesome (I have a retina display on my new ipad), and the editorial staff can focus their energy on content rather than solicitation. There's no going back now.

RE: Print vs electronic - David Newton - 01-23-2014

You have come to the right place for your voice to be heard… albeit sporadically sometimes due to the nature of any forum. And I sympathize with your concerns, but have to concur with Saucerman's post (below - August) regarding the effort vs. expense.

There is something to be said for printed material coming in the mail once a month; I used to wait with anticipation myself, and tossing it in my briefcase to read on the train was part of my routine. But as a member of the editorial staff, I can tell you first hand that it takes an awful amount of effort to produce a printed monthly version, and is nearly impossible to do so with the limited resources of time, money and (most important) volunteers.

As mentioned, we are saving the club in excess of $20,000 a year that we have been investing back to help pay for other events and activities. And as much as I have enjoyed a nice glossy copy of Der Gasser, I am still able to send it to the printer and bring a copy on the train when I want.

The fact is (even excluding the expense), in order to produce a printed version we need people to invest their time an effort to that end. We continue to evaluate your concern as admittedly you are not alone. But unfortunately, until we have committed members to dedicate their time and efforts, we will be producing Der Gasser electronically.

As a side, we are also looking into services that will print and mail Der Gasser to you for a nominal fee. There are some complications and expense surrounding this effort, but as I said we continue to search for viable alternatives.

In the mean time, I will enjoy the new and slick Der Gasser interface and print it out when I want to read it on the go. Thanks for your response and please let us know if you have any suggestions!

(07-29-2013, 09:56 AM)fve Wrote: Not many people seem to come to this part of the forum so not sure how much discussion this will engender...

But, anyhoo. I have discussed this issue with many RTR members. I rarely look at der gasser any longer. From a marketing and promotional stand point, going to an electronic only DG was a very poor move. I too thought it was potentially a waste of money for the club to pay for a physical newsletter, but in hindsight I was wrong. If nothing else, it is a physical and tangible means to reach casual members, promote events, show members what their club membership buys them.

Commentary anyone?

RE: Print vs electronic - rap - 01-24-2014

NNJR does a magazine and it is well done. This is one of those issues where everyone won't be happy with a decision that those who have volunteered their time have made. Aside from financial considerations, in this day and age finding members to donate their time to put out a mag is difficult at best. Since most use modern technology, it's a good decision to go with a median that will reach most members. I love to read the Journal everyday. I love the tactile feel and just sitting down to read. Guess what, I read part of the online version before I go to work and finish at nite. I'm a new member so my opinion has only a limited value, but convenience has some value.

RE: Print vs electronic - David Newton - 01-25-2014

(01-24-2014, 11:02 PM)rap Wrote: NNJR does a magazine and it is well done. This is one of those issues where everyone won't be happy with a decision that those who have volunteered their time have made. Aside from financial considerations, in this day and age finding members to donate their time to put out a mag is difficult at best. Since most use modern technology, it's a good decision to go with a median that will reach most members. I love to read the Journal everyday. I love the tactile feel and just sitting down to read. Guess what, I read part of the online version before I go to work and finish at nite. I'm a new member so my opinion has only a limited value, but convenience has some value.

Thanks for the response. As a new guy to RTR, your opinion is as valid as mine or any other member! We are happy to listen to all opinions, and honestly consider all options. We get the most bang for our buck with an e-zine format.

There is one additional benefit that might not have been considered by posters, which is that we reach ANYONE WITH A COMPUTER! I happen to know several non-members who read our newsletter, and I personally read the publications of many other regions. But only when online since I'm not paying for it!

The e-zine format can be read by anyone and is another way to promote our club and its benefits. Hope to see you at the member meeting at McLaren's on Feb. 19th!

RE: Print vs electronic - rap - 01-25-2014

2-968's. I will if I can though I'm a couple of hours away!