Riesentöter Forums
Tech Tactics East - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Social (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: Tech Tactics East (/showthread.php?tid=4092)

Tech Tactics East - scott_nichol - 02-15-2016

Anyone planning to go to the Tech Tactics East event in March? I managed to get a spot and am looking forward to getting a word in with the Michelin rep.

I've got a pair of mid-life Pilot Super Sports on the rear of my Boxster that are a hair's width from the wear indicators after only about 8000 miles. Warranted tread life is supposed to be 15,000 miles. And I'm a fairly conservative driver.

I spoke to my mechanic about it and he's going to take a look at them when I break it out of garage storage next month. He will help me make a claim against the warranty, however, I'm not sure if go back to these tires unless I can get a bit closer to the stated tread life.

Anyone else have good, bad, or indifferent experiences with Michelin?

thanks,
scott

RE: Tech Tactics East - Phokaioglaukos - 02-16-2016

Scott, I will attend on Saturday along with some other RTR members. Must be some way to meet up!

RE: Tech Tactics East - cmac - 02-16-2016

Scott, Michelin PSS is by far my favorite general use tire on the Boxster. I've been through a couple sets of those and quite a few other varieties on and off the track. I found the wear to be similar to P0 and other summer street tires, though my usage is definitely not conservative.

BTW, the Michelin talk at Tech Tactics has been VERY good the last few years and I would recommend it... (I'll be at the Sunday session.)

Tech Tactics East - scott_nichol - 03-07-2016

I thought this was one of the best events I'd attended in a while. Great info in each session. However, I tended to scoff a bit at Jim Newton's talk about building dream cars where he seemed to be looking down his nose at the likes of Magnus Walker and their approach to customizing their Porsches. Maybe a dread-locked and tattooed builder doesn't fit into what he feels is the proper personality to be a respected restorer. But honestly, he's the kind of guy we should be embracing if we want to capture a younger, hipper demographic.

But the reveal of the Cayman Clubsport was awesome. Getting up and personal with something like that was really great.

[Image: 0cf34b75d818ef4ca3cef66cf9914cda.jpg]

Having the ability to order parts at a discount was great too. It took me a while to get the interior trim parts nailed down that I wanted, but they should be delivered soon.

The gifts given out at the end of the day included 3 nice 30x40" Porsche Motorsport posters that'll probably get hung in the garage. There's also a T-shirt featuring the Cayman Clubsport, but they ran out on Saturday, so they're mailing them to Sunday attendees.

thanks,
scott

RE: Tech Tactics East - Phokaioglaukos - 03-07-2016

I had a great time too. The Porsche tech guy on the GT4CS was rather sad, though. He answered two questions that, when I finally read the current Panorama, I found out were wrong! The new cars have a 9A2, not a 9A1, and "virtual gears" is the ability of the PDK to slip a clutch when the car wants to be between two gears not the intelligent gear selection the guy said. Disappointing that the GT4CS presentation was just reading the slides--but nice to have a thumb drive with the slides!