Riesentöter Forums
Help - I need more headroom - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Help - I need more headroom (/showthread.php?tid=435)

- JeffConklin - 04-07-2007

My 993 came with a set of Evo 2 seats / sparco side mounts and sliders.  I was installing them tonight in prep for the Shenendoah event and with my helmet on I need more headroom.  Even with the cushions out! I'm only 6'0".  I'd like to keep the sliders if possible.  Suggestions???

Thanks

Jeff

- bobt993 - 04-07-2007

Jeff ,  I had a similar problem being 6-1".  You may need to drill the side mounts to a lower position.  Check clearance of the rails and use all the room you have.  My posture is slightly affected by this arrangement, but other than in an enduro, it's fine. 

- JeffConklin - 04-07-2007

I looked at that, but the seat bottom ( at the back)  is hitting the slider.  Does anyone make a lower profile slider?  If I mount to the floor who makes a base to mount the side mounts to the floor?

Jeff   

- jakp993 - 04-07-2007

Yeah - the Evo's sit high.

I have a Recaro Hans as my seat and an Evo2 as a passenger seat.  I had both on sliders last year and had no problem with the Recaro, but headroom was always an issue with the Evo2.

I had a rollcage welded in by Kilani this winter.  He repositioned the car's "brain" from under the drivers seat to behind it, ground out the original seat mounts, welded reinforcements to the floor, and mounted my driver seat directly on the floor.  I'm 6'2" and I now have a TON  of headroom  Big Grin

Jack

- stentech - 04-07-2007

I looked at the work in your car and it looks great.  Have you compared before and after weights? What did the cage add? Did the cage work require re-cornerweighting the car?

SM

- jakp993 - 04-08-2007

I have not had the car corner weighted yet, but I will.  I need to have it done anyway cause I relocated the external canisters for the rear shocks inside the passenger compartment.  That required installing quick disconnects and the shocks had to be removed to be fitted & recharged.

I don't know how much weight the cage added - I'll let you know.  But, I consider anything that improves safety good weight Smile

Jack

- Tony356993 - 04-08-2007

my 993 seat is mounted directly on the floor (cobra imola gt seats) since i'm a whole 5-8" - but the "boss" is 5-11" and we need to keep her happy. Smile

the only prblem is Sharon has to drive w/o shoes since the seat is a bit closer to the dash then she would like. she does wear nomex sock though. Wink

- Mark Fox - 04-09-2007

Jeff I went through about 40 hours last year of every conceivable seat problem imaginable.:X   Needing extra head room was only a small part.  Look into the OMP mounts (Apex in Pitts or CDOC) as they have many more adjusting holes than the other mounts out there and I played with Brey Krause, Sparco and Recaro.

Good luck