Riesentöter Forums
Boxster Rear Main Seal Question - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: Boxster/Cayman (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: Boxster Rear Main Seal Question (/showthread.php?tid=458)

- Ed Hess - 04-20-2007

I have some RMS stuff to ask about. When I took my 2003 2.7 in to be inspected a couple of weeks ago, Paul at Perf. Auto. told me it was starting to seep a little oil near the RMS. I had taken it to Brandywine and had the RMS replaced at 44K and then again to Rosen where it was replaced again at 47K, it now has 49.5K miles and has gone out of warranty in 12/06 after the last RMS replacement. I took it back to Rosen yesterday and they looked at and saw the seep but said Porsche does not approve fixing it unless it is dripping and there is noticeable oil being spashed behind it. Bill at Rosen told me 99 out of 100 boxsters would have as much seepage as mine and 911s as well. He said if they fixed it again it might not be as tight as it is now, but agreed to take another look at it in a couple of months to see if it has gotten any worse.  Bill also said that work done during the warranty period was only guaranteed during the warranty period. 

I am thinking about asking Bill at Rosen about scheduling a meeting with a Porsche regional rep because I think this is unacceptable. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Ed

- Xplorer - 04-25-2008

Bill at Rosen was correct in his statements. When the 4 yr 50k warranty expires, so do any/all warranty repairs. I have 1st hand experience with the 986 ( Boxster) & would say that a dry one is much more uncommon than 1 with some seepage. Dampness ok, drippage not ok. A drop or 2 of Mobil 1 oil (very thin viscosity) is a drop in the ocean compaired to the total quanity in the engine.

- mwestboxster - 04-12-2009

I am not sure if leaving it as is--is the correct action or not. My 03 has 67k on it and is dry. But, if what everyone is saying is correct-then maybe that's what you do. Leave it alone.

But, if you choose to pursue the warranty route and have it repaired again-I would not take no for an answer. My primary argument would be that this problem was never corrected in the first place while still under warranty.

If you don't get satisfaction from the regional rep I would move up the line to the Pres. of Porche US. All the while I would be polite, cordial but holding my ground. I would let them know how much I love Porsche's and how happy I am with the vehicle. But, I would continue to push for the repair under warranty. I would be as I said polite but relentless.

- Darren - 04-13-2009

Am I missing something? Or were all 3 posts here about a year apart Smile Apr 2007, Apr 2008, Apr 2009.  I'll reply next year.

- vego - 05-08-2009

Remember don't immediately point fingers that oil dripping from the bell housing is a rear main seal.   The 996 and 986 engines have been given bad wrap be cause of rear mains.  Yes they leak and the new revised seal has significantly reduced leaks and comebacks, but I have seen typical bell housing drips and after removing the trans have found the seal dry as a bone.  There is also a chance the intermediate shaft seal could be leaking. I have also seen both RMS and Intermed Shaft seal bone dry and the culprit was leaky case half bolts.  (similar to 911,964,993 engines)

-e

- opus - 06-05-2009

mwest, you got an automatic one.  From what I heard, auto transmissions were not affected by this issue. 

Are the new MY2009 Boxster S and other engines with the DFI free from this RMS issue?

- Brian Minkin - 06-05-2009

Our triptronic 2002 had both the RMS and the intermediate shaft seals replaced under warranty a few years ago.  So yes is does happen to automatics.