Riesentöter Forums
Spare tire or no spare tire for track events/DE? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Spare tire or no spare tire for track events/DE? (/showthread.php?tid=471)

- sms - 04-12-2007

Is there an official word (either national or regional) for whether we must have the spare tire securely mounted in the trunk for DE/Open Track events? I track both an SC and a 996 and have had tech inspectors at events go both ways. Since they are fairly poorly secured by a small bolt+plate, personally I would prefer to not have a heavy spare flying around in a crash.....not that I plan on crashing! In fact I believe some 997s do not even have spares so one may conclude they are not an itegral part of the front end protection. Additional clarity on this would be greatly appreciated since that space is precious to transport more track stuff Cool

- smankow - 04-12-2007

first, I'd bring the spare with you, even if it's in your back seat.  You never know when you may need it.

second, I've heard that for the 996's, the spare provides some form of impact protection, but I haven't seen any data.  I simply keep it in.  I wouldn't want to find out at the wrong time

third, for weight, it's DE not racing.  Besides, the spare tire (with tool kit) only weights a few pounds.  I can't believe that it would greatly hinder your lap times (not that we track lap times)

Steve 

- Brian Minkin - 04-12-2007

In the older cars..SC and Carrera the spare tire is part of the front end protection.  It is suggested to leave it in place in those cars unless you have installed a fuel cell.

- sms - 04-12-2007

With the SC that is sort of what I thought in terms of additional protection and corrrectly so can apply this to the 996 as well. Better to err on the side of safety always.

Just to be clear, I never mentioned anthing about weight savings......especially because the 996 is so darn heavy anyway and I am in absolutely no position to even mention racing, let alone acutally think about lap times. I am far too busy working on the fundamentals.  What I meant by the space was that it would be invaluable to carry more track stuff if I ever convince my wife to drive to the track with me and I need to liberate the passenger seat!

- bobt993 - 04-12-2007

I think your saving 30lbs, but in the wrong place.  911's have to much in the other end.Big Grin   BTW the 996 is lighter than the prior generation by 150 lbs.  If you want to save weight, make a safety improvement with seats and a harness truss bar.  This with a 6 point system /seats will save about 70 lbs plus the added safety. 

- sms - 04-12-2007

Exactly, of all the places I do not need to lose weight it is in the front! Totally agree on safety equip even regardless of the weight savings. I have an extra set of harnesses and a roll bar already installed in the 996 (C4 Cab) but need some proper seats to install the harnesses.  When I took the seats out to install the roll bar I was shocked at how heavy they were.  Although I must admit the heated seats last weekend at Pocono were toasty.
I suppose I could pull the SRDs out of my SC but would rather get another set.

Anyone with some cheap GT3 seats? Big Grin Speaking of GT3 seats are they comfortable enough for a daily driver? I have only driven in them for a short trip in a friend's car and they seem quite spartan.

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-15-2007

My 996 GT3 did not come with a spare tire, but I had the dealer supply one, the same collapsible spare as used on a 996TT with PCCBs. I have had the car corner balanced without the spare, tools and other detritus in the trunk, so I drive to/from the track with the spare in place but remove it for track use.

I also replaced my sport seats with GT3 seats early in my ownership. I kept the sport seats with the idea that I'd swap them back in during the off season, but I just have not bothered to do so so they sit in the garage attic. I find the GT3 seats to be quite comfortable for the drive to/from the track (8 hours for VIR) and around town, too.

- sms - 04-15-2007

Thank you for the feedback. Now the search for GT3 seats moves forward. Any issues with acces to the rear seat area.....for carrying more track stuff?

- Phokaioglaukos - 04-15-2007

sms wrote:
Quote:Any issues with acces to the rear seat area.....for carrying more track stuff?
Yep. Seats do not fold, but they do slide forward. The rollbar will be a bigger impediment to getting things in and out of the back.