Riesentöter Forums
996 Upgrades - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 911 Water-Cooled (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: 996 Upgrades (/showthread.php?tid=634)

Pages: 1 2 3

- smankow - 06-13-2007

I was a little torn as to where to post this thread - DE, water cooled or ask the tech chair.  I opted for the water cooled.

I've already implemented many safety features into my car (roll bar, seats, harnesses, HANs, etc. ) and some minor performance ones, too (exhaust and H&R Sway Bars). 

Now I'm trying to determine which performance upgrade offer the "best bang for the buck" and at what point they should be considered.  I am planning on keeping the car streetable.  And, although I don't really envision Club Racing at this time, I certainly would want to ensure that these upgrades wouldn't be detrimental to classes.  Here are a few (in no particular order).  What else should be considered:

1. suspension - PSS9's, JIC Cross, KW Variant, etc.[/*]
  2. brakes - brembo big brake kits[/*]
  3. camber plates - yes/no (not looking for "extreme" camber)[/*]
  4. steel brake lines[/*]
  5. Rotor upgrade  - AP Racing, etc.[/*]
  6. Lite weight flywheel[/*]
  7. RS Clutch[/*]
  8. GT3 Cup brake ducts (or something similar)
[/*]
Feel free to offer suggestions, including necessity and possible order.

- Darren - 06-13-2007

smankow wrote:
Quote:I was a little torn as to where to post this thread - DE, water cooled or ask the tech chair. I opted for the water cooled.

I've already implemented many safety features into my car (roll bar, seats, harnesses, HANs, etc. ) and some minor performance ones, too (exhaust and H&R Sway Bars).

Now I'm trying to determine which performance upgrade offer the "best bang for the buck" and at what point they should be considered. I am planning on keeping the car streetable. And, although I don't really envision Club Racing at this time, I certainly would want to ensure that these upgrades wouldn't be detrimental to classes. Here are a few (in no particular order). What else should be considered:

1. suspension - PSS9's, JIC Cross, KW Variant, etc. [/*]
  2. brakes - brembo big brake kits [/*]
  3. camber plates - yes/no (not looking for "extreme" camber) [/*]
  4. steel brake lines [/*]
  5. Rotor upgrade - AP Racing, etc. [/*]
  6. Lite weight flywheel [/*]
  7. RS Clutch [/*]
  8. GT3 Cup brake ducts (or something similar)
Feel free to offer suggestions, including necessity and possible order.
[/*]

1. Suspension -- PSS9 is ok, but I wish I would have gone to something more aggressive. I run no mufflers on the street, so take that for what it's worth. To race with these you need to re-valve and re-spring them, which at the added cost you could have probably gotten a double adjustable kit with streetable springs. Whatever you do isn't going to be ideal for the street or the track because you want a compromise setup. I'd talk to Larry when you are ready to find alignment settings and see if he has some advice on a good compromise.

2. Brake upgrads -- Will be wasted if you want to race. Your calipers look almost brand shiney new, so I don't think you are making too much heat in them. Take a look at the white Porsche lettering on some of the other 996's in the club.

3. Camber plates -- Required IMHO for PSS9 or more aggressive struts. The factory strut mounts don't cut it. Also you can't get enough camber with just the PSS9 to make it worth even having those struts.

4. SS Brake lines -- I use them but probably not necessary. Kam doesn't and he has had no issues. The pedal already has a very solid feel.

5. Rotors -- I wish I could find some without the annoying holes -- they just make the rotors crack, and since I don't clean them out every run, they obviously fill back up and are then useless. I'd like to try some solid or slotted rotors, I think these are available but I haven't spend the time to track them down.

6. Flywheel -- expensive to do, but worth it if you are doing the clutch anyway.

7. Upgrade Clutch -- I have a Sachs upgraded clutch, it was a kit with the pressure plate. It's noisy as heck, but it seems to grip a bit better. Going back I think I would have rather put in a solid racing type clutch -- this one still has the anti-shock springs in it.

8. Brake ducts -- Like I mentioned, several people have been doing this, though the kid from Weltmeister is very very expensive ($750) and even then to have someone put it all together is not going to be cheap. Come check out my trick setup at the track Smile

- smankow - 06-14-2007

I'll check out your "trick" setup when you actually have the 996 at the track

thanks for the info [Image: thumbup.gif]

- Phokaioglaukos - 06-14-2007

Quote:5. Rotors -- I wish I could find some without the annoying holes -- they just make the rotors crack, and since I don't clean them out every run, they obviously fill back up and are then useless.  I'd like to try some solid or slotted rotors, I think these are available but I haven't spend the time to track them down.

I went with the AP Racing slotted (and not "drilled") rotors from CDOC. They are pricey, but the they are two-piece hat and disk, so you only have to replace the disk and maybe the mounting bolts. The slotted rotors last much longer than the drilled rotors because there are no holes for the cracks to start in. I'll wear these out before they crack out, I think.

AP Racing makes these rotors special order for a CA-based wholesaler (who will not sell retail) and I get them from CDOC. There is probably a fitment for your car if you keep the stock brakes. You can get them solidly mounted or, if as I do you like the slight benefit and greater noise, full floating.

- ccm911 - 06-14-2007

Want to get the ultimate bang for the buck? 

Take all the money you would have spent on upgrades and use it to buy more seat time.

When you get to the point that you are using the car for all it is worth, start with suspension and brakes.  Leave the engine alone to maintain reliability.  As for where to start?  See what starts giving you trouble first.  Then you'll know for sure.

Just have fun, the speed will come.  And you'll save a fortune as well.

- catchacab - 06-14-2007

Hire a new driverTongueConfusedhock:TongueConfusedhock:TongueConfusedhock:Big Grin

Chris got so fast without any modifications to his Targa, he actually went back in time.  Now he back at the point in his life before he enjoyed DE.

- smankow - 06-14-2007

Chris, I understand you point.  However, at what point is "using the car for all its worth"?  With the 996's, the standard suspension doesn't allow for much negative camber adjustments.  So, is cording the outside of tires while the rest remains new an example?  Wouldn't the savings in tire wear "pay" for the suspension?

How about the amount of added seat time to relearn how the car handles after making these mods?  Wouldn't that make the money spent on previous seat time somewhat "wasted"?

Basically, there is no right/wrong.  I'm looking to see what others feel are more important items to upgrade.

- ccm911 - 06-14-2007

Steve:

If you are cording the outside of your tires, then it is definitely time to rectify the situation.

I drove John Randolph's 993 before he upgraded to the PSS9 suspension and the car felt like a total mushball.  Then I had the opportunity to drive it after the new suspension was added.  Now THAT was bang for the buck, a totally better experience.

So it looks like it is time for a new suspension.

Next stop, camber plates.........

- ccm911 - 06-14-2007

Scratch the Camber Plate comment.  I realize that you need to keep your car streetable.

Sorry.

- ccm911 - 06-14-2007

Just spoke to Randolph and he disagreed.......get the camber plates and save your tires.

And he has already done it himself, so I trust his call on this.

Sooo....suspension, camber plates, and one badass alignment will set you free!