Riesentöter Forums
Wanted: Back-up Tour Group Leader - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Touring (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Wanted: Back-up Tour Group Leader (/showthread.php?tid=781)

- Wellardmac - 07-29-2007

I'm looking for one (or more) fellow tour enthusiasts.

It has become obvious that the tours that we have organized this year have quickly become popular - popular to the point that they're starting to max-out the size that a single group can easily be guided. I would hate to limit the number of participants, or require pre-registration, so in order to prevent having to do so I'm looking for one or more like-minded individuals (with a navigator) to help-out when needed on tours.

What would be involved? Well, being able to step in to guide a group when the number of attendees exceeds 30-35 cars.

What are the requirements? i) a navigator - you cannot do this alone. ii) a good map, and/or GPS helps. iii) being familiar with the route in advance of the tour date. I usually do a dry run at least once before the run date in order to ensure that the roads are still open and be familar with the roads a little better.

How often? We will probably do 4 or 5 drives between April and November - typically every 6 weeks or so. The date is usually governed by ensuring that there are no conflicts with other events on the RTR calendar for that day and how much time I have to pull a new route together and test it.

If you're interested drop me a PM and we can talk. As you can see from the postings associated with previous events this year we have had a lot of fun and drawn a good group of cars and people together.

- Wellardmac - 08-08-2007

Anyone?

- STEVEMCMORN - 08-08-2007

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:Anyone?
As discussed many times, I'm willing to help out IF YOU START THEM AT 2PM instead of the crack of dawn (is this an english only joke??). I get up at 5am on weekdays and need my weekend lie ins. Getting up early on a sunday once a month for AutoX is my limit but if you start at a sensible hour, I'll be there

- Wellardmac - 08-09-2007

STEVEMCMORN wrote:
Quote:Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:Anyone?
As discussed many times, I'm willing to help out IF YOU START THEM AT 2PM instead of the crack of dawn (is this an english only joke??). I get up at 5am on weekdays and need my weekend lie ins. Getting up early on a sunday once a month for AutoX is my limit but if you start at a sensible hour, I'll be there

Steve, I would never do anything to disturb your beauty sleep. Tongue

Unfortunately, traffic waits for noone. Smile

- Brian Minkin - 08-09-2007

Perhaps starting the tours a little later would be easier on those who need to travel farther to get there.  Maybe first car off around 9:30 would work.  This is what Denise does for the Rally.

- STEVEMCMORN - 08-09-2007

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:fortunately, traffic waits for noon. Smile
I agree, Noon would be a perfect start time

- Curt P - 08-10-2007

Wayne
I would be willing to help in anyway I can but I would not
be able to always have a navigator with me.
As far as starting later for the drives it just doesn't work
By 10 am the traffic makes things very difficult.  It is
tough to keep a big group together when there is
any significant traffic on the roads.
Curt

- Wellardmac - 08-10-2007

Thanks Curt! I'll make sure I flag you a place as a pacemaker in the back third of the line next time. Hopefully that way we will not lose anyone towards the back of the line.

It's also good to know I can call on you to lead when you have a navigator.

As for departure times - As Curt pointed out, the departure time is mostly dictated by the traffic. Later starts lead to more traffic and more problems keeping the line together as we cross intersections. Those that have attended the drives have seen that I try to keep us on the back roads, but we do zig-zag across some main highways and that can cause problems in heavier traffic.

We've had people join us from Manhattan, Long Island and NNJ on previous drives, so I figure that PA drivers should be able to make it for an 8am departure. Smile