Riesentöter Forums
Zone 2 VIR 2008 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Zone 2 VIR 2008 (/showthread.php?tid=908)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- kocsea - 03-20-2008

Good video Glen! I had a blast! Big Grin

- bobt993 - 03-20-2008

Jack,

Looks like you guys had fun.   From what I have learned at VIR from a couple of extra visits:

T1, a little earlier, trail harder to the apex, less brakes, but trailing to the apex for gaining speed.  Left hook, braking all the way to the apex, ending up mid track into snake.  Pause throttle exiting snake , then full bore.  Uphill, two entries possible, full throttle stay right, slight breathe, and just miss curbing, no brakes, very slight throttle breath prior to crest to get grip and rotation.  Option 2,  hard gass to first hill crest, cut off the inside corner, similar to what were doing, but faster entry.  Southbend, way too late, 2 car lengths earlier, tap and go like T10 at the Glen, car will end up much wider, alot wheel release to avoid spinning.   Back straight, don't brake until the bottom of the hill, trail all the way to the downhill inside corner.  Hogpen, earlier full throttle, the only place on the track that camber will catch you, similar to the Glen entering the essess.  

Nice driving for first time there.  I will post a vid from the race next week and see if it all comes together.

- jakp993 - 03-21-2008

Bob,

Thanks!  I was hoping to get some tips from you and other experienced VIR'ers.

I'll definitely need to work up to that for South Bend.  That turn is quite intimidating.  I need to ride with someone to get the feel. 

I really didn't get a chance to ride with anyone once the event started.  We were pretty agressive with the classroom schedule, so I missed most of the Red group sessions until late in the event.

I look forward to your video post.  I watched some video before the event, but none of it was all that great from a quality standpoint, and it really doesn't help with the fine tuning until you've been at the track to experience first hand.  It helped me know whether the next corner was a left or right, but I can't say it did much more than that.

Good luck @ the race.

Jack

- Terry - 03-21-2008

Speaking as a South Bend wimp (I had in mind a stronger word), that corner is a crash waiting to happen, and you don't have to wait long. A silver GT3 crashed there on Friday and there have been many others, all going wide right, tire in the grass, and then back across the track to impact the tire wall on the left. So what's the correct escape or correction strategy which will overcome my need for a late (and therefore slow) apex?

- fasthonda - 03-21-2008

hi guys.

here's a lap of VIR in the Probe, during last Feb's NASA race.  the Probenstien was handling pretty terribly (was having suspension failure problems):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7685674950427712189&hl=en

i blew it through T4;  the car wasn't turning properly.  i did OK going up thru the climbing esses (with a little bobble at the top;  that was day 12 on my hankooks, and they were giving up their grip) -- i like to nip the curbs pretty well, and the last right hand at the top of the esses before South Bend i try to hug all the way around to the right.  tap the brakes before South Bend, and turn a little earlier than you think you should.  hit the apex (should be right on it, if you can) and then power thru it and let her run all the way out;  open the wheel as much as you can, and stay on the power, and trust the car.

if you do screw up, and drop off serious wheels on the track out;  you need to go both feet in immediately;  this will send you skating off into the infield, for a rough ride.  but most likely you won't hit anything.

if you try to save it, and are unsucessful, you will hook and careen across the track to the outside and smash the wall at a high rate of speed....

todd

- Brian Minkin - 03-23-2008

Video from the last black run group on Saturday.  Need to work on camera position but still a an OK video. There was some light rain. Still squeezed out a 2:19:1 even with the rain. Glen was in the right seat.

http://video.google.com:80/videoplay?docid=-7935020183382298863

- ninjabones - 03-23-2008

Thanks for the ride.  Who needs Traqmate... you can use my head movement as a cheap traction circle demonstration. 

- Mark Fox - 03-23-2008

Terry,

Off right is known as Arlene's (Arlene Novak from NNJR) swamp as she ended up there a few years ago, but only ego damaged. Big Grin

I think the problem is if people go off right they should stay right, but they try pull it back on the track, sending them into the wall left.  The reverse of what happens at T-10 at SP.

- Mark Fox - 03-23-2008

:X I am striking out getting this video to open, but sure it's good.

- bobt993 - 03-23-2008

Mark, actually.  T10, T9 at Summit.  T8,T9, T10 at the Glen are the same as Southbend.  Most cars get out of shape at track out, understeering, throttle lift, cars hooks up and inside is the most popular place to end up.