Riesentöter Forums
Friday- Yuk! Saturday- Eh. Sunday - Great Fun! - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Friday- Yuk! Saturday- Eh. Sunday - Great Fun! (/showthread.php?tid=925)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- Darren - 11-29-2007

I think you should NOT get PSS9, but rather spend a few more dollars to get something you won't get bored with after 2 seasons.  Talk to John Randolph...

If it has stock suspension maybe leave it that way for a season or two.

- George3 - 11-29-2007

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:It was pretty quick... but I've had my eye on this car for a few months (listed twice on ebay and didn't meet reserve).
Congratulations, Glen!

Nice job and very cool car.

You remind me of someone I know..................

- ninjabones - 11-29-2007

Darren:

Unfortunately, the car does not have the stock suspension.  The original owner lowered the car (for looks), and installed crappy struts and cushy springs.  The car will bottom out on the track, and it rides like a cadillac low-rider in the current configuration. 

I'm getting advice from all directions about this, and it's very hard at this point to decide where I'm going with the driving thing.  Who knows, I may do 5 days next year and stay in green forever, and keep the car mostly street oriented.... alternatively, I may get into it more and do 20 days and want Motons next year.... Too hard to predict and I can't justify dropping $10K for Motons (and all the necessary do-dads) right now.  I also don't want to be tweaking the car everytime I go out (nitrogen pressure, dual adjustments, etc)... I'd prefer to get something that I can get in and drive and not necessarily have to adjust too much. 

The JIC system looks pretty sweet (various spring rates available, 15-way compression adjustable, built in camber-plates/monoballs, and around $2,600), but the warranty is for crap and if you have an issue... you're out 3-4 weeks while the stuff is sent back to Japan for a rebuild.  Farnbacher Loles was using them for some time, and for some reason stopped installing them.  Not sure why. 

With the PSS9s you get a lifetime warranty, you're stuff is back the next day, and you'll likely have someone around with spare parts to get you up and running right quick.  Not to mention, that you can pretty much sell the stuff at any time and get 1/2 your money back. 

I'd be glad to hear feedback from you guys... hopefully, quickly as I did give Bill the go-ahead on the PSS9s already and they're likely going in before the end of the week.

- Tony356993 - 11-29-2007

Glen,

PSS-9's will get you from green to black. How long will that take?? Who knows? Darren is right that when you start to get really good, the PSS-9 is not the best setup. However, I would go with the PSS-9 for now and enjoy the car on the street & track. When it is no longer street legal and you want take the next step, you can always change it. If you change you mind about DE, the PSS-9 does not hamper the resale.

- AMoore - 11-29-2007

Glenn,

Sweet ride, looks kinda like Minkin's.  That splitter was always my favorite!

- Darren - 11-29-2007

My car has the PSS9 and I really regret it.  I do drive it a lot on the street, and it's ok on the street.  For the track the springs are too soft, especially in the front (260 lb front springs on a 996, 520 rear), and you can't increase them without getting the struts re-valved.  I think the split in spring rates front to rear is just wrong.  I'm going to have Bilstein revalve mine this Winter I think and I'm going to try something like 450/600 lb springs.

On the 996 (not sure on the 993) you have to add the cost of monoballs because the PSS9 springs rip through the rubber on the factory strut mounts.  Part of this for me, I'm sure, are the pot holes and seams on 202 that just pound the suspension.

Kam, John R, John Giannone and I all regret the decision to use PSS9.  I think I'd look hard at the JIC, it's not that much more money right??  Who knows with the value of the dollar these days.  I think Mankowski has them and he's been thrilled.  At least with them you can run softer springs and then if/when you are ready to go full track, you can increase the spring rates.

How much is PSS9 + camber plates vs the cost of JIC? Probably the same.

The PSS9 is an ok option, I'm just throwing out to consider the middle solution.  The only risk would be if the higher spring rates would be more than you like on the street.

- ninjabones - 11-29-2007

All good thoughts... Actually, with the ERP camber plates, the PSS9s are about $500 more than the JIC CROSS setup (that includes them).  It was a really hard decision, and in the end I went with Bill Dougherty's recommendation, mostly regarding service, warranty and that the PSS9s are a known entity (good and bad).  I've heard great feedback about the JICs from the Rennlist 993 folks, but then again, how many guys admit to making a bad decision, or are good enough drivers to know whether there suspension is better than another.  Anyway, the choice of custom spring rates and the fact that the struts can accomodate a huge variety of spring rates without revalving is a big plus.  In the end, I had to trust someone... and it was Bill, who has been doing this for an awfully long time. 

Plus, how fun would it be if I get the car completely set up now and didn't have anything else to shop for down the road?  You can post this thread as an "I told-you-so" when I'm asking where to punch the holes in my coupe's body to get the fluid reservoirs installed for the Motons.

- APXD 30 - 11-29-2007

Congrats on the new ride!   I love combination of wheels and aerokit.

- bobt993 - 11-29-2007

Glen, Make sure Bill  checks the suspension for the required upgrades that affected a number of 95 993s.  Joel Reiser can better explain this (PCA Forum).  The condition causes the back end to wag at high speeds.  (Commonly labelled "evil").  As far as PSS9s, since you committed it would not benefit to add another opinion (they will work just fine).  Congrats on the car.   

- Brian Minkin - 11-29-2007

Glen,

I think Bill Dougherty covered this with you, but I will mention it as well.  On a 95 993 you need to add a brace to the steering rack to run 18" wheels on the track.  Porsche has the part in stock and its takes only 15 minutes to install.  Its sort of like a recall/retrofit that the customer pays for.  There was a Porsche Service Bulletin on this.