Riesentöter Forums
Der Gasser- Letter to Editor - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Der Gasser- Letter to Editor (/showthread.php?tid=1868)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- dmano - 09-15-2009

Can we all say this thread has become "FUBAR"

- JoeP - 09-15-2009

Der Gasser[/b] – There is no question that RTR needs a quality printed publication.  It is easy to forget that many RTR members do not attend our events.  “Panorama�? and our newsletter are the only benefits they receive for their $42. 

DE Inspections[/b] – PCA is a Club.  Its rules must provide the greatest benefit for the greatest percentage of members, and I think the current system does that.  Individual exceptions set a dangerous precedent.  I have had my car pre-teched by Performance, Dougherty’s, and by RTR.  All three have found issues that I missed, and I’m pretty picky.  Each morning’s Tech at the track is well worth the few minutes required.  If you don’t like to wait, show up earlier.  There is rarely a line.  If you cannot wait ten minutes -- tough.

DE Fees[/b] - It is difficult to offer concrete proposals before seeing hard financials and quantifying trade-offs between different options.  However, track costs are relatively fixed, so we are really discussing how to shift costs from one group to another -- and adding instructed students spreads this cost across a larger pool of drivers.  Here are some general thoughts:

> Rules must be written and apply to everyone.  If we are uncomfortable setting an established practice down on paper, we should not be doing it.  As we can see from the snide comments made in this thread, unwritten policy creates ill will even if nothing is going on. 

> A 30% credit for one student and 100% credit for two students seems reasonable.  I like the idea of an increased incentive for two students since we are squeezed for Instructors.

> I run with the Allegheny Region once or twice a year.  I am willing to survey all of our neighboring regions if it would help RTR develop a better system.
     > AR-PCA reports that their instructors normally have two students,
        and they do not pay a registration fee.
     > Allegheny has four run groups.  I have not worked through the
         Scheduling implications, but shouldn’t that constrain Instructors
         time more than RTR? 
     > Also, Allegheny has coffee and donuts every morning and great
          give-aways at most events.  I will ask if they can share their
          Watkins Glen financial results to see if we can pick up any
          pointers. 

> From an Accounting standpoint, it seems reasonable to charge instructed students more.  However, from a Marketing standpoint, it would create the impression that “management�? is lowering its own pricing at the expense of the novices.  I do not think it is worth creating that impression.  

> In the same vein, Instructors and current Execs should receive garage space for the extra time they give to the Club if the space comes free with track rental.  This policy would be easily understood by all participants.  Everyone else should pay.  I suggest a Dutch auction if we are worried about cash.

- dmano - 09-15-2009

Joe, that sounds like a good plan, well written.

- emayer - 09-15-2009

+2

Nice summation.

My comments would be to consider a 50% reduction for one student if the financials permit.  Most beginner students would likely understand the need for increased fees to offset instruction, but if it is felt otherwise within the club, a nominal increase for all should be entertained.

Standardization/ policy regarding tech certification should be implemented (if not already done) with a thought of trackside teaching of basic maintenance for students may be a nice adjunct.  I would propose that any instructor willing to do this should also receive discounted fees.

The tread isn't FUBAR (yet!), just a lot of varying and good ideas here.  The interest shows the level of commitment to the club's success.  Kudos to all....

- dmano - 09-15-2009

While I can't instruct "get sick when being a passenger" I would be very interested in trackside teaching of basic maintenance for students. On their car as well as using my own car as a tool for them to learn.

- formerlythethrottlemaster - 09-15-2009

How much does each track charge the club for usage per day?  Please include all expenses charged to the club including corner workers, EMS, towing etc.  Also note if there is a difference between weekday and weekend charges.

- formerlythethrottlemaster - 09-15-2009

Mike Andrews wrote:
Quote:AMoore wrote:
Quote:I think lack of attendance boils down to economics. This leaves me with two questions:

1. What would the tracks do if we played hardball on the amount we pay for an event. There is more competition now.

2. How much of the cost of DE actually goes to support DE? Whether the overage is justified or not, I think the membership should know the answer to this question.

1) I don't know how hardball this is but a few of the tracks have asked how things are working out and have suggested that they could work with us. But I don't think that would play at all tracks. I'd bet that the Glen would love our weekend with them back...

2) That all depends on the track. The NJ tracks are the most expensive and Jefferson Circuit is the least expensive.

I do not have the budget in front of me but if memory serves me correctly it was projecting a profit of ~20K for the track program.

So basically for this year, our profit from our DE program which is our only profitable program paid for legal and accounting fees to figure out that $5000 was removed but later returned to the club.

HMMM, paying $20,000 to recover $5,000. Our Executive Board is as efficient with our money as the federal government is.

- dmano - 09-15-2009

Damn those Lawyers and Accoutants they get all the money.

- larrybard - 09-15-2009

formerlythethrottlemaster wrote:
Quote:So basically for this year, our profit from our DE program which is our only profitable program paid for legal and accounting fees to figure out that $5000 was removed but later returned to the club.

HMMM, paying $20,000 to recover $5,000. Our Executive Board is as efficient with our money as the federal government is.
I hope your comment is just a really bad joke and not meant to be a serious criticism, since it's one of the most patently illogical and unfair statements I've ever seen posted here.

- dmano - 09-15-2009

Gee what do you think. You should know me by now. I forgot to put the smiley face after the comment.

You guys need to lighten up, can't take a joke, thats pretty bad.