Riesentöter Forums
Zone 2 VIR 2008 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Zone 2 VIR 2008 (/showthread.php?tid=908)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

- Larry Herman - 03-23-2008

Mark Fox wrote:
Quote:the problem is if people go off right they should stay right, but they try pull it back on the track, sending them into the wall left. The reverse of what happens at T-10 at SP.
Actually it is less likely that and more often that no corrective action is taken when a wheel is dropped. When that happens, the car rotates instantly, and points itself to the inside of the turn. If you drop a wheel off, especially in a high speed turn like that, you must turn out...immediately. If you wait to feel, or worse see what it going to happen it is way too late.

- Mark Fox - 03-24-2008

Agreed.  I was thinking more along the proper taking of that corner, which is an extremely early apex, puting you almost off track right (think Dominik Farnbacher last year breaking a radiator) in which case if you drop a wheel off you better stay off and ride it out. Confusedhock:

A year ago I did cross it up there while at a pretty good clip, while attempting to push a little harder following a pro in a cup car.  Car rotated left about 45 degrees at the crest and fortunately I was able to stay ahead of the car with a quick right/left flip of the wheel avoiding a tank slapper and could  continue with some momentum up to 11.  That will wake you up in the cold AM hours. Big Grin

- AMoore - 03-24-2008

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:Mark Fox wrote:
Quote:the problem is if people go off right they should stay right, but they try pull it back on the track, sending them into the wall left. The reverse of what happens at T-10 at SP.
Actually it is less likely that and more often that no corrective action is taken when a wheel is dropped. When that happens, the car rotates instantly, and points itself to the inside of the turn. If you drop a wheel off, especially in a high speed turn like that, you must turn out...immediately. If you wait to feel, or worse see what it going to happen it is way too late.

I'm still a novice, and don't know VIR, but if I understand you correctly, when two wheels are off at track out, one should steer out away from the turn if safe, rather than keep two wheels off until control is regained.

Obviously, I know not to try to get back on the track at speed.

- Mark Fox - 03-24-2008

Quote:Aron wrote: I'm still a novice, and don't know VIR, but if I understand you correctly, when two wheels are off at track out, one should steer out away from the turn if safe, rather than keep two wheels off until control is regained. 

If you mean from above, dropping two wheels off at track out and staying off until you have regained control and greatly slowed down you are correct.

Several tracks have a sgnificant height differential from the track to the ground, which could be disaterous in attempting to bring a car back on track at speed.

And remember "when in doubt both feet out."

- Mark Fox - 03-24-2008

Quote:Larry wrote Actually it is less likely that and more often that no corrective action is taken when a wheel is dropped. When that happens, the car rotates instantly, and points itself to the inside of the turn. If you drop a wheel off, especially in a high speed turn like that, you must turn out...immediately. If you wait to feel, or worse see what it going to happen it is way too late.
 Smile Agreed.  I believe that is what I mentioned, but I was also thinking late stage of corner exit, where the car  would be more parallel to the track and easier to run out. Less lateral load.  Beginning drivers reflexes may be more inclined to jerk the car back on track, which would be disastrous with the drop offs.

Your statement above is dead on and one can think of the kitty litter at SP in T-10, where that scenario has resulted in more than one incident.

- Mark Fox - 03-24-2008

Smile Aaron, I didn't read Larry's comment until after I responded to you.  His example is involves more at apex or early corner exit where the car is still arcing and wheels are dropped.  Here the extra bite of the dropped loaded wheel will send you across the track.  So you would want to stay ahead of the car and immediately with dropping a wheel steer away from the corner. 

In my example I was thinking more at late stage trackout where the car is more parallel to the track and the dropped wheel is not really loaded.  Dominick Farnbacher last year dropped a wheel going into 11 at VIR, but was late stage corner exit and he rode it out.  Still busted the radiator and screwed the team for the race.

The point he is illustrating is to not get behind the car.  Meaning you have to make the car do what you want it to do and try not to become reactive.

Larry Herman does a nice class on car control.  For some reason with high speed slides on track and staying ahead of the car the following works.  EX. 1. car slides with rear going right. 2.  Almost simultaneously occurring, (back a little out of gas, trick the car with a quick steering wheel flip to the right, then straight and back on gas.)  It has worked well on 2 occasions, once at 100+ and the other at @ 60 in the wet.

You never know if or when the car will hook back up so don't count on a nice controlled power slide like you see in the movies, stay ahead of the car.  Also the car control required in the video games will help with this.  Ask Leh Keen. Hope this helps.