Riesentöter Forums
Anybody:Tune up help for $$$ - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Model-Specific (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Forum: 911 Air-Cooled (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Anybody:Tune up help for $$$ (/showthread.php?tid=1009)

Pages: 1 2

- Flyboy - 02-11-2008

ccm911, you are my kind of guy!

I will take you up on that offer. You let me know when you need to adjust your valves and I will be there. I even have one of those UNUSED Sad Porsche valve adjusting feeler gauges (that looks like my dog's tongue on a hot summer day) that is crying to be broken in. And of course the Yuengling, Goose, and any other concoction required will be consumed as a celebratory notion to a job well done. Thanks.

- michael lang - 02-11-2008

The first time I lowered my car was when I had installed the turbo tie rods, I used the two ride height screws in the front suspension and played with the spring plate bolts, then had paid someone to perform the alignment. I drove around for a year and a half with the suspension set up that way. Even autoX'd the car that way, didn't do too bad. The second time I lowered my car was after I had installed the Bilstein sports in front and rear, made my car so high I thought it was a recreation of the Paris Dakar rally car. I had no choice but to redo it. That time it required reindexing of both front and rear torsion bars. That was a bit challenging since I only wrench for fun. Looking back on it maybe I should have replaced the torsion bars when I had it apart but I like to do things on my car in increments so that I can feel what each improvement gives me so I can really reap the benefit of each upgrade. Flyboy, if you are just lowering your car for the look, then adjusting the spring plates and the ride height screws in the front should do you just fine, if your goal is to adjust the ride height for performance then I agree with Larry and Brian, the torsion bars need to come out and have everything re-indexed (becareful of the WYIT (while your in there) syndrome, it is a very slippery slope).

- Flyboy - 02-12-2008

Thanks for the input Mike. I would like to lower the ride height, perhaps to Euro Specs, on the 1970 S Targa definately for performance reasons not cosmetics. About 20 years ago I installed turbo tie rods, poly bushings, orange Konis and larger torsion bars (don't remember size). I also have rear Bilstein Sport shocks in my garage I plan on installing in spring to start the whole process. Tires are 205/60/15 on the stock 6" Fuchs with the hearts spinning quickly under original unrolled fenders.

What shocks did you replace on your 89? How do you like the Bilstein Sport's ride characteristics compared to your old setup?

- rmshaner - 02-12-2008

I am sure seeing it in person would be better than a DVD, but pelican does sell a tune up DVD.

Here is the part number: PEL-DVD-7377D

Just incase you are interested. 

Rich

- michael lang - 02-13-2008

Flyboy, for the most part, everything is pretty much stock on my car and I have only modified my car with improvements as my driving improves. To answer your question, the front and rear shocks were the Boge's and I really like having the Bilstein sports installed. They were a great next step up until I'm ready for an upgrade in torsion bars.