Riesentöter Forums
shared helmets - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: shared helmets (/showthread.php?tid=1026)

Pages: 1 2

- dmano - 02-15-2008

There is a guy on ebay that sells new helmets that are SA2000 for really cheep most of them are G-Force I have bought from him and the helmets are new in their box and not blems or demos.  The 2 helmets I donated to our A/X program last year I got from him.  Worth a try.

- AMoore - 02-15-2008

ccm911 wrote:
Quote:By the way, I'd get a Bell Star for about $100. It may only be "M" rated, but it has the Snell Certification. OK for me.
In the words of, I believe Jack Kramer, "Cheap helmets are for cheap heads." It is my understanding that the M helmets are not fireproof, which is why they are appropriate for motorcycles. I'll share at Shenandoah (probably too cold to sweat much anyway), and see if she wants her own helmet after that.

- michael lang - 02-15-2008

You guys are completely missing the point, this is the perfect opportunity for Aaron to justify to his wife upgrading his own helmet and passing along his current one to his wife, especially if DE is something she will only do sporadically. Remember, "It's always easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission" Big Grin

- ccm911 - 02-15-2008

AMoore wrote:
Quote:ccm911 wrote:
Quote:By the way, I'd get a Bell Star for about $100. It may only be "M" rated, but it has the Snell Certification. OK for me.
In the words of, I believe Jack Kramer, "Cheap helmets are for cheap heads." It is my understanding that the M helmets are not fireproof, which is why they are appropriate for motorcycles. I'll share at Shenandoah (probably too cold to sweat much anyway), and see if she wants her own helmet after that.

Agreed about fireproof. Not agreed about cheapness and safety. Am I to believe that a Helmet that has passed Snell certification is inferior?

To each his own.

- TwentySix - 02-15-2008

AMoore wrote:
Quote:Yes, I would be sharing with my wife. I just don't want to spend a lot of money until she is sure she wants to get serious about DE.

You could wear a racing balaclava (nomex hood) underneath, like this:

http://www.midatlantictrading.com/racewear/accessories/16.html

- MylesD55 - 02-15-2008

It is my understanding that the only physical difference is that the chin strap on an M helmet is not fire proof.  I believe that testing M helmets for a Snell rating is one impact vs. multiple impacts on a motor sports helmet.  The idea being that a motorcycle helmet will only have to take one big impact when the rider falls vs. the race car driver's helmet hitting the roll cage several times.

- Mike Andrews - 02-18-2008

[user=128]AMoore[/user] wrote:
Quote:[user=63]ccm911[/user] wrote:

Aaron,

Price has nothing to do with it. No disrespect to Jack. And I find it laughable that people would worry about a helmet not being fireproof but think nothing about jumping in a car in a cotton tee-shirt...

MylesD55 wrote:
Quote:It is my understanding that the only physical difference is that the chin strap on an M helmet is not fire proof. I believe that testing M helmets for a Snell rating is one impact vs. multiple impacts on a motor sports helmet. The idea being that a motorcycle helmet will only have to take one big impact when the rider falls vs. the race car driver's helmet hitting the roll cage several times.

Myles,

That's true for some helmets, but I don't know you could say that for all helmets, at least based on my research back when the Snell 2000 rating was coming into play.

From what I've seen the biggest issue with wearing a helmet is the weight.

If you think about wearing a helmet on a bike the idea is to protect your head if (when) you fall off and it comes in contact with the ground, or another object. At this point the integrity of a helmet is very important and the weight is not too big an issue.

Now look at the use of a helmet in a car. The design of a car is such that it protects you from hitting the ground by keeping you inside the car and attached to the seat (sort of). This is where the problem arises. By confining you to your seat you are kept from hitting anything (a good thing). But that confinement means that your body has to be controlled and kept from striking anything, to do that automobile makers use seat belts and in newer cars air bags. All of which are meant to retard the movement of ones body, well, actually eliminate the impact with a hard surface. In a perfect world we would have lots of space to slow your movement but that’s not the case as the steering wheel is right there in front of you and the side pillar is right there in a side impact and so somewhere someone said let’s put helmets on these peoples head to help protect them. Which it does for impacts to the head but it creates a bigger threat to the neck and now the design of the seat belts is limiting the movement but you have this appendage with a weight on it that is not quite so easy to control. Hence the invention of the HANS device.

Ok, I got side tracked…. Where I’m going with this whole thing is the weight of the helmet is very important, in my opinion right behind the comfort of that helmet. If you are not going to be using a HANS type device buy the lightest helmet you can afford. And that will usually put you into a “M�? helmet. Because of volume they can build (read sell) a better/lighter “M�? helmet for less money than they can a “SA�?. It’s just a matter of marketing.

What does all this mean? I guess nothing other than think about what you are doing. Think about all of the variables that go into our activities. And then make an informed decision.

- ccm911 - 02-18-2008

Mike makes an excellent point.  At DE, a cotton shirt is considered sufficient.  Hardly fireproof! 

And also not taken into consideration in this exchange is the fact that the new student will most likely be driving in the Green group.  At this point, a newbie is just learning the track, the flags, and basic track etiquette, as opposed to barreling along at ten tenths.  So I would hazard a guess that flame retardency is not going to be an issue at this juncture.

And as an unnamed friend and I were discussing the other night.....If I were to be trapped in a burning car, the last thing on my mind would be the flame retardency of my chinstrap.Big Grin

Now in regards to helmet weight and HANS devices.  After talking to an MD in our group, I am convinced that it is money well spent.  He told me that bad things happen when your head is snapped forward.  And unfortunately, death would be the better outcome.  Scary stuff and an excellent endorsement for helmet restraints.