Riesentöter Forums
Gas prices - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Gas prices (/showthread.php?tid=1123)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- George3 - 04-28-2008

Darren wrote:
Quote:How much is that? At Summit I think someone said it was $7.50, either 100 or 110, same price.

I use 93 and decided to get a rack put on my trailer so I can bring my own.
I looked at the pump price at Summit Point this weekend, and 100 & 110 octane were both $7.25/gallon.

- ninjabones - 04-29-2008

[Image: trailer2_copy1.jpg]Maybe I'll hold off on buying a trailer for a while.....  the 993 gets >20 miles per gallon in 6th gear on the highway. 

Maybe this is the way to go (guess I'd have to rely on the good will of you guys to get me out of a bind if break down though)

- bobt993 - 04-29-2008

You can hope someone will tow you home if needed.  (and most of us will for awhile).  Alot of the track cars on trailers are no longer street legal or insured with all the reg changes and cost of added insurance.  Because of this, I cannot have my car driven home anymore while I tow a broken car (no registration, theft only insurance and way too stiff suspension).  Best way to look at it is you went camping and always stayed in someone else's tent, use their grille.  Bring alot of free beer as an offset!!Smile

- ccm911 - 04-29-2008

Now Bob, what kind of businessman are you??  You would be happy to rent out your truck and trailer at $300 plus a full tank of gas, provided the breakdown happens on a day other than the last.

Sheesh!  Do I need to teach you kids everything?Big Grin

- bobt993 - 04-29-2008

After driving my car back from Performance instead trailering it for the 10 miles, no way.  Passed 3 police cars and felt every bump praying the suspension does not break.  Car is no longer welcome on the normal pavement. :?

- dmano - 04-30-2008

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:[Image: trailer2_copy1.jpg]Maybe I'll hold off on buying a trailer for a while..... the 993 gets >20 miles per gallon in 6th gear on the highway.

Maybe this is the way to go (guess I'd have to rely on the good will of you guys to get me out of a bind if break down though)
Quote:Where did you get the nice trailer from. Might be interested in doing the same since the Stang is still street legalish

- dmano - 04-30-2008

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:[Image: trailer2_copy1.jpg]Maybe I'll hold off on buying a trailer for a while..... the 993 gets >20 miles per gallon in 6th gear on the highway.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Where did you get the nice trailer from. Might be interested in doing the same since the Stang is still street legalish

- ninjabones - 04-30-2008

This is not my trailer (or my car for that matter).  This photo sparked my interest in the tire-trailer idea instead of buying an open trailer and tow-vehicle. 

I've already got a custom Da'lan trailer hitch and wire harness for my 993 (rennlist guy threw it in with a bunch of other stuff I bought when he got rid of his car).  I can get a Harbor Freight 40 x 49" utility trailer for about $200.  Weld on a tire rack and tool box and my cost is about $350.  It seams like a popular option with guys in other regions, but not too popular with RTR guys.

Advantages to me are

1.  get to bring a second set of wheels (in case of tire/wheel problems or rain)

2.  Get to bring all my crap (EZ up tent, cooler, tools, jack, etc) and not have to rely on everyone else whenever I want to swap pads or make sway bar adjustments.

3.  Can store the thing in my garage when not in use and won't upset the neighbors with a trailer in my driveway or yard

4.  Don't have to worry about added expense of additional vehicle and fuel costs from towing.

5.  Don't have to sell my e39 M5 daily driver in trade for a SUV or Truck.

Disadvantages:

1.  If I break or wreck, I have to rely on the chance that someone (or Dougherty's) will be able to tow me back home (and I'd have to likely leave the trailer at the track)

2.  Still can't bring the wife and kids along (maybe that's an advantage ??)

3.  People may think I'm a deadbeat, cheap-ass, freeloader.

4.  Extra miles and suspension wear-and-tear on the 993 getting to-and-from track.

I'm sure that I'll end up one day with a trailer (maybe enclosed), but I thought this could be a nice solution for a year or two.  Maybe I should just face the inevitable and by the F-450 Dually and 20 ft enclosed Pace

- Wellardmac - 04-30-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Time to get one of these guys. I am seriously considering this option.........

It's a great car, but surprisingly bad on fuel efficiency.

- bobt993 - 04-30-2008

Wellard, I don't know what you consider good milleage for a race.  If you have ever run 10/10ths on a typical circuit for a sprint race, 6 to 7 mpg is average and anything close to 10mpg is stellar.  I can watch the gas gauge synchronize with the tach climbing the essess at the Glen.Smile  The diesels have proven to run much longer, more green (if that's not a joke) and the 320d won at the Ring in 98.  You will see more and more diesels running endurance races in the next year or two.