Riesentöter Forums
Which In-Car Video Camcorder To Get? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Which In-Car Video Camcorder To Get? (/showthread.php?tid=1135)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Phokaioglaukos - 05-05-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:George here is your best option:

http://www.goprocamera.com/index5.htm
Bob, what format files does this write? Have you edited them in any PC-based software?

- George3 - 05-07-2008

Anyone have other suggestions?

Traq cam, chase cam, DE cam, anything..........

- ninjabones - 05-08-2008

George, it's all about the $$$$.  How much do you want to spend?  Best bang-for-the-buck appears to be Gopro (designed to do exactly what you intend); Steve M. just bought one.  Check it out at Pocono next week and see what you think. 

However, my bet is that you'll have a full DAS onboard within the next year and probably a private data coach.  Smile  You may want to just suck it up now and get the Traqcam complete system ($1,999)  That way you'll have ensured compatibility between data and video, as well as customer support for the entire setup from Traqmate.

FWIW, I bought a JVC Everio hard drive camera two years ago to shoot pics of the li'l ones.  It works fine in the car in SD Card mode (but the hard drive cameras are pricier than the SD card ones like Brian Minkin's). I'm a gadget freak... can't wait until I no longer need an hourglass to measure lap times; then I'll probably buy a laptimer or data acquisition system.

G

- George3 - 05-09-2008

Glenn-  There is nothing wrong with the GoPro. In fact, it's everything the camera that I am using now.  So, if I did not have a camera in the car at all, it would be a great choice.  My camera now works OK, so it would be a sideways move for me.  I've even improved the audio by placing a piece of tape over the mic.

What I really want is something with a remote control.  Some of the newer camcorders on the market have them, albeit in the higher price range.  I'm waiting for the prices to soften a bit.  RE: the Traqmate... that is also an option.  Although it would be a huge PITA to remove it should I decide to install that system in another vehicle.  There is something to be said for portability.

- Graham - 05-09-2008

George,

I believe [user=21]Phokaioglaukos[/user] has his data logger (Traqmate?) hooked up to his GT3 and also to his Spec Miata. Believe he has both installed in the car and merely hooks in the data recorder/Camera depending on which car he is driving. Might want to reach out to him...

-G

- Phokaioglaukos - 05-09-2008

George, I'm moving my G2X between the Miata and the GT3 regularly. I have mounting brackets in each car with the "brain box" attached to them with heavy Velcro--the box is light. The GPS antenna sits in the rear window of each car. It has hook Velcro on the bottom so on the GT3 it just attaches to the carpet and on the Miata I have some loop Velcro for it to stick to. The display attaches to a air vent mobile phone holder in the GT3 and to an aluminum bracket in the Miata. The RPM and power cables in the GT3 connect to the OBDII port and to the mobile phone adapter in the center console and in the Miata to the back of the dash display. I have quick disconnects on the wiring so I can move it easily, but all the Wiring in the GT3 is plugged into the harness so I can remove it without any effects. No wires were cut on the GT3.

Moving the gear back and forth takes 10 minutes. If I add throttle position, brake pressure and steering position sensors it will be a different story. For the base setup it's easy, though.

Graham wrote:
Quote:George,

I believe [user=21]Phokaioglaukos[/user] has his data logger (Traqmate?) hooked up to his GT3 and also to his Spec Miata. Believe he has both installed in the car and merely hooks in the data recorder/Camera depending on which car he is driving. Might want to reach out to him...

-G
Alexander, you may call me Chris.

- Graham - 05-09-2008

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Graham wrote:
Quote:George,

-G
Alexander, you may call me Chris.

Correction, I believe Phuckinfasterthanmostofus has a data logger in his cars...

Thanks Chris.

-Graham (aka Alexander)

Finally I get the respect I deserve.

- George3 - 05-09-2008

.................. Now, now, behave boys.

Chris, if you'll be at Pocono I'd like to see how you have your setup wired.  Are you using the G2X video as well... if they have it ?