Riesentöter Forums
Thunderbolt Raceway Line and Video - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Thunderbolt Raceway Line and Video (/showthread.php?tid=1273)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- steveh - 08-18-2008

The Thunderbolt course is supposed to have 14 turns.

I think they count the S's as 2 turns, and "officially" count the chicanes as another 2, even though I agree they'll probably not see much use in DE's.  Also, don't forget the last turn on to the front straight.  On your map, that would make 12 turns without the chicanes, and 14 with.

- Darren - 08-18-2008

I guess you are right, I don't know, if it's flat out can it be a turn?

Can you think of another turn at another track that is flat out and numbered?

- Darren - 08-18-2008

Here's what I think you are saying below.

[Image: thunderbolt%2014%20turns.jpg]

- redcar1 - 08-18-2008

Darren wrote:
Quote:I guess you are right, I don't know, if it's flat out can it be a turn?

Road Atlanta T8 and T9 both? Laguna Seca T1? Flat, or should be...

The numbering of the optional chicanes will really complicate things. If you did give them numbers, I think they'd need 3 each? Maybe 2a,2b and 2c, followed by 3a,3b and 3c?

Mark

- steveh - 08-18-2008

Darren wrote:
Quote:I guess you are right, I don't know, if it's flat out can it be a turn?

Depending on HP, T1 at Moroso; T's 8, 9 and 14 at Sebring; T6 (the "Kink") at Mid-Ohio; and maybe the uphill S's at VIR and the Glen.

Also, some tracks seem to put numbers where there isn't even a turn - like T9 at Summit Main. :?

- Darren - 08-18-2008

The Glen and VIR are good examples, but they are a little complicated which I think warrants turn numbers.  The Glen you are flat out of course in I think all cars, the complexity is in the timing and the penalty if you make a mistake.  VIR climbing esses, many cars have to modulate, they are definitely turns.

The kink at Mid-Ohio shouldn't really have a number...

No opinions on Moroso or Sebring, I haven't driven either.

Summit Point T9 is a turn, however, the uphill right turn leading onto the bridge straight.  I don't understand why there are 2 numbers at Summit Main for T1,2.

- steveh - 08-18-2008

I agree about the uphill S's at VIR -- although you may get a different answer if you ask Todd Reid if there are any "turns" in that section. Smile

Based on this map: http://www.trackpedia.com/w/images/3/3a/SummitPoint_Main.gif

there doesn't seem to be an actual "turn" at T9; I always thought the uphill right to the bridge straight was turn 8.  I agree that T2 is really just the continuation of T1.

Maybe we should be advocating for a universal standard for designating track turns (right after we finish up world peace)?

- Darren - 08-18-2008

That's interesting...about T8/T9 at Summit....Coming out of the carousel there is another turn between 6 and 7.  I've always called that 7, then 8 is the left hander, and 9 is the right onto the bridge straight.

- Darren - 08-18-2008

Yeah, pretty sure that track map is just plain wrong.  I wish I could read the radius values, that would tell you for sure.

- ghassler - 08-30-2008

I agree with Darren's numbering of the turns for the most part, at least up through 7.  I don't know why the track map shows a bend between 6 and 7, it's definitely straight.  I have no idea where they get 14 turns from, unless they're counting the non-existent one on the map.

Darren - one thing I would tweak on your description of the turns is on turn 4 - you can track out all the way and still have time to setup for 5.  I make a lot of ground on people through this turn who take it too tight by only tracking out 1/3 or 1/2 way.  This was on a motorcycle, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to cars as well.  I cringe every time I watch a car on youtube choke that corner off instead of carrying the full speed you can carry through it.

Absolutely right on 7 - flat out afterwards.  Again carry speed through it and track out all the way and you'll be on the floor on the left side of the track, if you're on the inside then you're not going fast enough.