Riesentöter Forums
Rennlist NY Tristate Run - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Touring (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Rennlist NY Tristate Run (/showthread.php?tid=1348)

Pages: 1 2

- George3 - 08-10-2008

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:I attended the Rennlist Tristate Run today - what a great drive. We have to get a group together to attend some of these meetings. The style was a little different from the drives that we have organized, but still a lot of fun and worth the drive up to NY.

Here's a link to my photos and a selection of some of my favorites.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wellardmac/

It was nice to sit back and follow for a change, rather than lead. Smile
Glad to hear you had a great time at the RL Tristate Run. It's nice that you joined up with another group for such a nice ride. Although you mentioned this ride was "different", can you elaborate how? Please explain what you liked that was different and what you didn't like. . . . . . thanks

- Wellardmac - 08-10-2008

George3 wrote:
Quote:Glad to hear you had a great time at the RL Tristate Run. It's nice that you joined up with another group for such a nice ride. Although you mentioned this ride was "different", can you elaborate how? Please explain what you liked that was different and what you didn't like. . . . . . thanks

Firstly, neither was better, nor worse than the other, only different.

I went up there because I was suffering withdrawal symptoms caused by me being unable to organize an RTR drive until the Fall. Additionally, it's always good to get out and see different organizations and driving styles. This trip allowed me to see another perspective and see things that worked and did not work with another group.

My drives are best described as back road rollercoasters. I take the group on very quiet and narrow roads and throw the cars around a lot of curves - adrenaline pumpers.

The pace for the Rennlist drive was faster and on wider and more populated roads... more typically described as state road quality. The pace was faster - a lot faster than the drives that I organize. There is more space for putting your foot down and a lot more overtaking than I encourage (necessitated by the more populated roads). The faster pace is great if you're hiding in the pack, but I'd hate to lead a group at that speed. At one point the pack leader ran through a speed trap at a speed that should have sent him to jail, but somehow he didn't get pulled over. The group was only saved by others coming the opposite direction flashing their lights.

I spend a lot of time in my drives mediating the pace to keep the group together, as many do not have navigators. This drive was more a case of "everyone for themselves". The fast pace sacrificed group cohesion. I was without a navigator today, so I was lucky enough to manage to stay with the leaders - If I'd gotten lost I would have been SOL.

My drives are typically 70-80 miles and done by late morning. This drive was 150 miles and punctuated by a brunch and photo stop and took from 8.30am until around 3pm.

...so a very different and longer drive. Smile

The positive side was that the roads allowed my car to show me how truly amazing it was with regard to handling. It took everything and begged for more. I was astounded. This trip was the longest I've spent in the seat in one trip since I bought the car and it was a real eye-opener.

- George3 - 08-10-2008

Glad you had a nice ride, albeit different, and that you weren't SOL... that would not have been a good thing.  That ride was no doubt longer than yours and at a quicker pace.  I see now why you said it was different... not better or worse... just different.

- Wellardmac - 08-10-2008

George3 wrote:
Quote:Glad you had a nice ride, albeit different, and that you weren't SOL... that would not have been a good thing. That ride was no doubt longer than yours and at a quicker pace. I see now why you said it was different... not better or worse... just different.

Well, I wouldn't have been in that bad a shape, as I had my GPS and radar detector with me, so I would eventually found a way to intersect the group - it would just have been tricky to do in an unfamiliar area.

I had a blast on the drive and would highly recommend it to others. I drove up there last night and stayed at a nearby Marriott hotel, so in the end I think I spent around 6 hours in the driving seat today.