Riesentöter Forums
Bert Roos Driving School - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Bert Roos Driving School (/showthread.php?tid=1736)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Lainey - 07-27-2009

I was at the last meeting and met Graham, he was VERY nice! I would bet he is in demand, tho. How does DE work? Do you sign up with an instructor in advance? or is it "pot luck" - which it sounds like not a bad thing...

Maybe I should try to make it up to the Glen this weekend? Its so far....

- George3 - 07-27-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:I was at the last meeting and met Graham, he was VERY nice! I would bet he is in demand, tho. How does DE work? Do you sign up with an instructor in advance? or is it "pot luck" - which it sounds like not a bad thing...

Instructors can be assigned, requested, or just let the E.C. choose the best person for the job/car/student. WGI is far, but it's really not. There are good tracks that are even further away, i.e. VIR, Mid-Ohio, some from our northern Canadian neighbors, etc.

If you're serious about trying the DE experience, then the Glen is someplace you should be this weekend. Ask anyone.... it is a world class track. Email the Registrar and get his opinion on who would be a good instructor for you. Just my humble opinion.

- Brian Minkin - 07-27-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:So Darren,
Who is the best instructor in RTR? Graham?

Whoa! That is a loaded question. Tongue

For a beginner student all the RTR instructors are " the best instructor". All RTR instructors have been through national PCA instructor training are are more then capable to communicate with a new student and teach them the elements of high speed driving.

I disagree with Darren about Pocono as a first experience. It was the first track that I drove on. As a first time student I found Pocono a lot to digest. I remember being very nervous and apprehensive my first time on a race track. Pocono north and its 5 turns presented plenty of challenge to learn to drive and begin to work on smoothness, consistency and speed. I by no means was able to master Pocono North in one weekend.

Although I no longer have a great desire to drive Pocono North myself (I have mega laps there) I do enjoy teaching on it. I have taught many green students there and they left with a big smile and a basic foundation of high speed driving skills.

- Darren - 07-27-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:I was at the last meeting and met Graham, he was VERY nice! I would bet he is in demand, tho. How does DE work? Do you sign up with an instructor in advance? or is it "pot luck" - which it sounds like not a bad thing...

Like George said, they do a good job of matching up students with instructors. I race a front wheel drive Acura so a lot of times they match me up with students who have different wacky non-Porsches which is really fun for me! One of my favorite students is Craig who drives an early-eighties Turbo Dodge Omni! Very fun!

The instructors are there to make sure you're safe #1, have fun #2, and learn to drive better than you imagined possible #3. You'll have a great experience with any of the instructors, and at any time if you don't feel like 1,2,3 are being met, talk to the Chief instructor and he'll work something out.

- George3 - 07-27-2009

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:Whoa! That is a loaded question. Tongue

For a beginner student all the RTR instructors are " the best instructor". All RTR instructors have been through national PCA instructor training are are more then capable to communicate with a new student and teach them the elements of high speed driving.

I disagree with Darren about Pocono as a first experience. It was the first track that I drove on. As a first time student I found Pocono a lot to digest. I remember being very nervous and apprehensive my first time on a race track. Pocono north and its 5 turns presented plenty of challenge to learn to drive and begin to work on smoothness, consistency and speed. I by no means was able to master Pocono North in one weekend.

Although I no longer have a great desire to drive Pocono North myself (I have mega laps there) I do enjoy teaching on it. I have taught many green students there and they left with a big smile and a basic foundation of high speed driving skills.

Ditto. For the "first tlime" student, I think Pocono is the ideal track. Not complicated, 5 turns to remember and by the end of the weekend the student has a sense of accomplishment.

My first track was Summit Point. Even though it is one of my favorite tracks, i had to go back several times to really get a "feel" for it.

- Darren - 07-27-2009

Brian Minkin wrote:
Quote:I disagree with Darren about Pocono as a first experience. It was the first track that I drove on. As a first time student I found Pocono a lot to digest.
I agree with your point there Brian. I remember driving The Glen the first time though, it was almost overwhelming how cool it was. Our event is always a week before the NASCAR race so everything is painted up pretty and you really feel like you're in a race! Then you watch the NASCAR race a week later and say "how come they don't run the boot? That's the best part!"

- Darren - 07-27-2009

I guess the distinction is being the best first track for introduction vs experience.  Introduction to the sport Pocono is less turns and easier to learn, for experience though, it doesn't compare.  So fine, do Pocono first BUT you HAVE to do another track after if you are unsure about the sport Smile

- Lainey - 07-27-2009

Brian, appreciate your perspective... and the fact that your first time was at Pocono. I'm definitely sold on doing DE..... I stopped off at my dealer in Cherry Hill and started chatting with a guy Bob who was into DE and runs with Schattenbaum.... I am totally psyched.

Thanks --- to all for the input -- no slight intended to other PCA instructors!!

- George3 - 07-27-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:Brian, appreciate your perspective... and the fact that your first time was at Pocono. I'm definitely sold on doing DE..... I stopped off at my dealer in Cherry Hill and started chatting with a guy Bob who was into DE and runs with Schattenbaum.... I am totally psyched.

Thanks --- to all for the input -- no slight intended to other PCA instructors!!
So.... will we see you at The Glen this weekend???????? Cool

- Brian Minkin - 07-27-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:Brian, appreciate your perspective... and the fact that your first time was at Pocono. I'm definitely sold on doing DE..... I stopped off at my dealer in Cherry Hill and started chatting with a guy Bob who was into DE and runs with Schattenbaum.... I am totally psyched.

What ever track you select for your first experience you will be hooked. Drivers Education is addicting. Just do it and join the rest of us sliding down the slippery slope. By the way I have instructed many students in Caymans and it is a great car to learn high speed driving in.