Riesentöter Forums
We're Faster on the Straights - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: We're Faster on the Straights (/showthread.php?tid=1880)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Lainey - 09-14-2009

Shoot! Next time we need to exchange numbers beforehand. I went on a whim feeling a bit of track withdrawal (and getting psyched up for this coming weekend). Even went over to Thunderbolt for a short time but there were way too many people there!

Sad Next time!!

- AMoore - 09-15-2009

George3 wrote:
Quote: I never take that kind of risk on the un-offered pass. You just don't know what the other guy is about to do.
I was watching the red group at Lightning earlier this year. A red Cup car tried to take an inside pass by an older E30 M3 right before turn one, wthout receiving a point by. The M3 went to pinch his apex causing the Cup car to drive off the racing surface.

For DE, is it really worth it? I suppose it would not be so bad in the middle of a long straight but I think the better course of action is to pit in for a few seconds. You already proved to yourself that you earned the pass. The actual point by should not be any more satisfying, especially if he has already held you up from reeling in the people in front of him.

- michael lang - 09-20-2009

This is the first year that I've done any track time with any groups other than PCA. It has not been such a great DE season in terms of the quality of instruction or run groups (it's amazing how many guys have no track awareness). No knock intended against the other groups, I just know that my DE allowance will stay w/PCA next season. Atleast I have Potomac on Summit Main 10/31-11/01.

- Lainey - 09-20-2009

Good decision - I second your comments. We have the best instructors and classroom time is a good investment. Lots of good questions, open atmosphere for learning. Day two we studied a video of the track and analyzed different turns, lines and techniques. Very helpful.

Steve, make sure you bring your radio controlled car to demonstrate Lift throttle oversteer to the next program! Its also good entertainment at the end of the day....

Cool

- betegh9 - 09-21-2009

nplenzick wrote:
Quote:It's been a few years now since I've instructed at a RTR event so here's my two cents.

Hey Nick, it's been MORE than a few years.........back then I was young, ran the AX program and had hair, now I am bald, turning grey everywhere else, walk with a cane and do DE. WinkWink So when are you going to show up and stop driving that RV around the country?

- betegh9 - 09-21-2009

Lainey wrote:
Quote:Good decision - I second your comments. We have the best instructors and classroom time is a good investment. Lots of good questions, open atmosphere for learning. Day two we studied a video of the track and analyzed different turns, lines and techniques. Very helpful.

S:

Good instruction is only good when it is complemented by eager and willing students. The person that does not want an instructor, once they go to the white group, are the ones that are too stubborn to LEARN........and think that they know it all.Confusedhock:

- pmajka - 09-21-2009

Heh...I had the good fortune of running in White at Pocono Sept 19-20.  Oh, for those who didn't attend, It was sunny for 2 days. 

I wasl playing with another older 911.  He clearly had me on straight line speed.  Smoked me in the Bowl, but in the in field , I'd catch him at turn 3.  I waved off a couple of passes.  After 5 - 6 laps ( and it was a blast), he let me pass on the bowl.   I never looked back after 1 pass of the infield. 

RTR:  We play nice with e/o on the track.

--peter

- stentech1 - 09-21-2009

No matter what group you run in there is the potential that you may get stuck behind someone that may not give you the point by properly. If that happens don't pass without a signal and get in trouble. Pit in and get away from that person. If the incident happens again a mild tap in the back end usually will make them know you are there. I usually do it mid corner to make them crash. Now seriously if there is a person running that is unaware of the fact they have mirrors and it is disrupting the ability for faster cars to get by talk to the acting CI. It will be resolved in a very diplomatic way. This avoids fist fights in the pits!!! It is best to allow this to take place instead of letting emotion get the best of you and creating unnecessary tension at the track. There is enough tension and stress at work, home, hell even getting ready for the events is stressful. When I am at the track and some one gets worked up I tell them relax and have fun. After all this is a driving School and part of the learning is learning better track awareness. Maybe when you see that same guy at the next event he will give you a point by right away or he will be the one in your mirror. For the record the response "were faster in the straights" was probably not the right response.

SM

- JimWirt - 09-23-2009

At Pocono's in green run group there was some not giving point byes. But what do you expect. New people at track with sensory overload. Just need to pit in. First two run sessions on Saturday I think I pitted in three times. There were no problems in blue run group or when they combined the run groups on Sunday at least for me any way. In the combined run groups my left arm got a work out!!!!!!

- stentech1 - 09-23-2009

That's what it all about. Thanks for your cooperation your actions are what were looking for for advancement in our program. 

SM