Riesentöter Forums
RTR DEs - Camping at the track - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: RTR DEs - Camping at the track (/showthread.php?tid=1972)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Darren - 02-23-2010

MylesD55 wrote:
Quote:Darren,

This question came up at the Executive meeting relative to Watkins Glen, who charge $325 per night to allow camping ($975 for 3 days). Motor home hookup would be extra and charged to the individual. It is probably just the cost of the security guard. FYI the Glen has add on fees for everything. Early arrival (night before event) costs extra, Track walks are extra, even wifi is extra.

For Watkins Glen, if we have enough interest and event participants, then we will consider adding the camping option to our event at no extra cost.

Myles
$325/night is nutty. What are the fees at Summit Point? NJMP allows camping at our events because they always have security guards. There is a fee for camping at NJMP that you can pay at the gate...

- bobt993 - 02-23-2010

Darren,  I think that is a total fee, not per vehicle.  For you we could make an exception and charge you the 250.00 since your trailer is now takes up half the paddock.  Smile

- CarreraS - 02-23-2010

Darren:

I'm new to this, with only one RTR event and one Schattenbaum event from late last year under my belt, but I plan on doing many more DEs along the way.  So, as a newbie my question is, does NASA charge significantly more per participant in order for the Instructors to drive free?

It seems that it's not just RTR that charges Instructors, but Schattenbaum does as well.  Is it a PCA issue?

- Darren - 02-23-2010

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Darren, I think that is a total fee, not per vehicle. For you we could make an exception and charge you the 250.00 since your trailer is now takes up half the paddock. Smile
Oh I know it's a total fee. 1 security guard at $8/hr for 12 hours is only $96.

If there are 20 people in each run group, 100 people, that's $1/day/person. $325 is too expensive, but $100-200 seems reasonable to me.

- Darren - 02-23-2010

CarreraS wrote:
Quote:I'm new to this, with only one RTR event and one Schattenbaum event from late last year under my belt, but I plan on doing many more DEs along the way. So, as a newbie my question is, does NASA charge significantly more per participant in order for the Instructors to drive free?

It seems that it's not just RTR that charges Instructors, but Schattenbaum does as well. Is it a PCA issue?
We've had lengthy threads about this, including a long one on Rennlist that I started. Please check it out -- I don't want to hijack this thread too much:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/522948-should-instructors-have-to-pay-for-de.html?highlight=instructors+pay

The short answer is it's a PCA thing but not all PCA clubs are like this. There are many in our club who would rather instruct and pay 1/2 as much and only have 1 student. Most clubs that are free for instructors give them 2 students.

NASA costs a little more for students and you get a little less track time for DE because there is also racing at the same time. NASA NE is about $200/day -- partly because the tracks they run are so expensive (Thunderbolt and The Glen are the most expensive tracks -- I think Thunderbolt is the most expensive).

- ninjabones - 02-23-2010

I like Bob's idea to focus on one event this year to really promote the camping idea.  My vote would be for Summit Point as it seams to have the best configuration for a social camping experience (with a slew of sites right next to the paddock).  There's also a lot of trees (for shade, quick leak in the woods, etc), unlike the dusty and open mess at NJMP. 

If we made a point to really emphasize/promote this as a "camp at the track" event,  I think a lot of people would give it a shot.  Could be a lot of fun and maybe cause some momentum to develop in this direction.

- bobt993 - 02-23-2010

We could promote the dirt bike fire jumping contest that happened the other year at a NASA event.  Ask Todd about that one.....Wink   For those that have not done a race weekend with track camping,  imagine having a 100 people watching track videos from a video projector showing on  the side wall of a white trailer with two kegs on tap. 

- betegh9 - 02-23-2010

STEVEMCMORN wrote:
Quote:At the monthly EXEC meeting earlier today, we discussed the possibility of camping at the track during our RTR DEs.

Some tracks offer this option, some don't but it is pretty popular amongst club racers and it is another option that we may be able to offer our members if there is sufficient interest. The track would charge us for the privilege and we would pass this cost onto drivers via a nightly fee, probably using motorsportreg.com. However before going ahead, we need to gauge how much interest there would be to ensure we wouldn't lose money. Nightly fees are yet to be determined but I imagine it would be in the $35 -$50 range per night.

All thoughts / comments/ input welcome including how much other clubs charge to camp. This may work, or there may be no interest at all - we won't know until we hear from our members. However, your Executive committee is doing their best to maximize your fun, enjoyment and value for money while at the track so all ideas are welcome

Why would I pay $35 to $50 to sleep out if it costs me $65 at a cozy motel? Don't get me wrong, I love to camp and have a good time with a bunch of driving friends. Darren is right! The tracks are trying to pull something over us. The track and the padock is rented for the weekend, period....... so, I'd like to see someone kick me out of my little PUP TENT (that is all I can fit into my 911 besides my emergency tools and a folding chair) during the middle of the night. I protect my home from unwelcomed visitors.

Hope that you guys don't plan camping on a day like today! Confusedhock:

- George3 - 02-23-2010

Nick is right.  $50/nite for camping is insane. 
I think this is the year many clubs, tracks, vendors will get a taste of what
the wobbly knees of the economy is doing to the consumer... a loss of business.

- Fprodget - 02-25-2010

I wouldn't pay $50 to camp at a racetrack either.

For Summit Point per my experience last year racing the Lola, there is no charge to camp...there is only a charge of $20 for the weekend if you want to connect to one of the electrical boxes in the paddock area.

They also do not allow campfires at Summit Point. Maybe there would be an exception for a fire pit....but would need to ask.