Riesentöter Forums
Harnesses - NJ Requirements - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Harnesses - NJ Requirements (/showthread.php?tid=1985)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- bobt993 - 11-04-2009

It gets more complicated.  One of the drivers in the DE who was cited could not run until he went to CDOC and purchased a set of belts for his RSR (real nice car).  The belts were older than 2 years.  I know this from one of the racers in my class and it was his friend's car.   Yes, the race director did say at a meeting tickets were issued so Steve is only repeating what he was told. 

Bottom line.  Watch your speed in the paddock and bedding brakes will cost you a session on the track. CDOC is there if you need harnesses.  

- ccm911 - 11-05-2009

Interesting thread.  Why are the ploice allowed on private property to enforce regulations?  I have never seen that at any other track.  Is it just a New Jersey thing?

- michael lang - 11-06-2009

Just to clarify, is this also saying that cars that do not have harnesses will not be allowed onto that track?

- larrybard - 11-06-2009

michael lang wrote:
Quote:Just to clarify, is this also saying that cars that do not have harnesses will not be allowed onto that track?

I think what may be causing confusing in this thread is that there are questions about DE, but the facts that prompted the thread related to a NASA event.

If you're at a NASA event and NASA requires harnesses no older than 2 years, then that's the standard for that event. But if you're at an RTR DE event, then you don't need harnesses -- manufacturers' stock seat belts would suffice -- but if you do have harnesses, then they must be no more than 5 years old.

At least that's how I sort it out.

- Darren - 11-06-2009

Um no, we're talking about NJ State laws.

- larrybard - 11-06-2009

Darren wrote:
Quote:Um no, we're talking about NJ State laws.

Yes, but if you look back at Larry Herman's earlier posting, NJ law is, in some cases, tied to the standards of the event organizer, e.g., PCA:

Safety belts for driving schools, time trials, lapping days, and promotional and tour events must meet the standards required by the sanctioning body or event organizer. At a minimum, original vehicle equipment DOT FMVSS 208, incorporated herein by reference and available at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/index.html, seat belts or DOT FMVSS 209, incorporated herein by reference and available at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/index.html, aftermarket seat belts shall be required.

- TwentySix - 11-06-2009

michael lang wrote:
Quote:Just to clarify, is this also saying that cars that do not have harnesses will not be allowed onto that track?
Hi Michael,

You can go on the track without harnesses if the group you run with allows that, such as the PCA DE events. All the law says is that you must abide the event organizers criteria for safety, so if you pass tech inspection with your group, you should be good to go.

- bobt993 - 11-06-2009

Beth, 

This is not correct.  NASA does not limit belts to 2 years for DE and actually only requires an inspection of non-racer belts for DE use.   The State Trooper interpreted the law as 2years regardless and stopped cars going out.  One such car was a very nice RSR with FIA harnesses.   The driver of the car purchased belts at CDOC while missing his run session.   As Darren mentioned, the race director from NASA confirmed this and also stated speeding tickets were given out.  I was also present at the meeting when this was announced to the racers group.   It appears the discussion that took place regarding tickets was embelished by the NASA Director, but the large group he was talking to just repeated verbatim what he said happened.  The belts being inspected by the State Trooper and being failed  was an accurate event.

The point is make sure you read the rules and that your equipment is up to date including NJ State Laws that are enforceable at the track.  Also watch your paddock speed and avoid bedding brakes anywhere but on the race track.   

- larrybard - 11-06-2009

Bob,

Was the NASA event a DE event -- or racing

Larry

- TwentySix - 11-06-2009

Bob,

I do understand what happened at the NASA event, and it's unfortunate the NASA Director felt the need to embellish the truth.  Going forward, a bunch of us are on the way down there this weekend, the best we can do is abide the rules and hope they are correctly interpreted.  FIA belts which are good for 5 years, so we'll see how it goes as we have these in the cup car.  This is the NASA Spec I found in their CCR, which is what it seems they reference if you have harnesses at a DE:

10. All belts should meet at least one of the following:

A) SFI Specification 16.1 or 16.5 (for use with HANS only) and shall bear a dated label of no more than two (2) years old. At least one date label isrequired on belt sets.

B) A restraint system meeting FIA spec #8853/1985, 8853/98, or D-###.T/98,including amendment 1/92 may be used. FIA certified belts have a label that shows an expiration date. The belts cannot be used past December 31st of the year shown on the label. At least one date label is required on belt sets