Riesentöter Forums
How about a rally? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Rally (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: How about a rally? (/showthread.php?tid=20)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Wellardmac - 09-17-2006

Cooll! Thanks for the heads-up... I'd missed that. I'll see if I can find a navigator.

- STEVEMCMORN - 10-08-2006

I'm away on business next weekend so will miss this ....... but anymore rallies planned before weather & winter set in??  

- RallyJon - 10-17-2006

Love to help, if I can. I'm an SCCA Road Rally Safety Steward (not that that means much in this context) but I've organized a half dozen "drives" and tsd rallies in the area north of Allentown and some closer to the PA/DE border as well. I have a few completely tuliped routes that could be recycled easily and with little effort.

Not sure what you mean by "In our case it's a road race where cars compete to traverse checkpoints answering questions, but completing the course in the lowest number of miles. The checkpoints are fixed, but the route is not." Is that format a requirement for your rallies?

I ran one RTR rally back in Fall 2002 and my recollection is that it was a straightforward scavenger hunt where you obeyed the speed limit and closest on "on-time" wins. It was pretty fun and had the convenience of no checkpoints.

- Wellardmac - 10-17-2006

Welcome!

The format can vary, depending upon the whims of our current Rally Meister Dennis Angelisanti. The format I described above is the format that has been used most recently. I'm sure that Dennis would welcome any help that he can get. He has several routes that he has used. and the turnout is usually in the order of 20 cars. If you have a variety of routes I'm sure that would bring some variety into the mix. My personal bias is for quiet roads that allow for a fun drive.

As I said in the previous post, there are fixed checkpoints that you visit to gain information that will allow you to answer a question. The person who visits all the checkpoints (and answers the questions correctly) in the lowest milage wins. It's a fun format and it seems to be enjoyed by those who participate.

- RallyJon - 10-17-2006

Something like this, although this was just a "drive" with no checkpoints or timing: http://www.rallystuff.com/af2001drive.pdf

- Brian Minkin - 10-17-2006

RallyJon wrote:
Quote:Love to help, if I can. I'm an SCCA Road Rally Safety Steward (not that that means much in this context) but I've organized a half dozen "drives" and tsd rallies in the area north of Allentown and some closer to the PA/DE border as well. I have a few completely tuliped routes that could be recycled easily and with little effort.

Not sure what you mean by "In our case it's a road race where cars compete to traverse checkpoints answering questions, but completing the course in the lowest number of miles. The checkpoints are fixed, but the route is not." Is that format a requirement for your rallies?

I ran one RTR rally back in Fall 2002 and my recollection is that it was a straightforward scavenger hunt where you obeyed the speed limit and closest on "on-time" wins. It was pretty fun and had the convenience of no checkpoints.

Welcome to the RTR forum. The club would love to offer its membership more rally events in a variety of locations. Dennis our current Rally Miester lives in the Reading Area and puts on great events out in Berks County. We have however had events in Bucks, Montgomery and Chester counties in the past with huge turnouts (over 40 cars). We would welcome your assistance at organizing Rally events. Be they drives, TSD or a gimmick rally I am sure our membership would enjoy any thing you would be willing to organize. Through our web site, this forum and our printed publication, Dergasser, we have the ability to promote and get a great turn out.

- pmajka - 11-02-2006

So Winter Rally????, or at least late fall?

- Ken Souser - 02-07-2007

Northern New Jersey Region http://www.nnjr-pca.com  has a full schedule of six rallies, although the ’07 schedule has not been posted as yet.

Last year, with navigator Marti Kalko, I joined over 70 driver and navigator participants in the novice division. It was a very educational and enjoyable endeavor. I missed one rally and Marti, fortunately, got to navigate for a driver in the experienced class and was still considered a novice so her points counted. The year end point tallies showed Marti in first place for the Club Championship as novice navigator and I was in second place in the Club Championship as novice driver. Overall, it was a very rewarding experience.

I have a pretty extensive knowledge of rally suitable roads in the Poconos and Northern Tier and am available to assist the rally chairman in planning a rally route.

Added 2/9 Part of an e-mail from the NNJR rally chair:

[size="2"]Ken:[/size]
[color="navy"][size="2"]Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you sooner. I will not be Rally Chair this coming year – too many other commitments. We haven’t found a replacement, but have some people who will assist, so I’m trying to get together with them and see if there is enough interest and energy to keep it going.
Since things aren’t set up completely, the schedule is a little loose. But here is what we expect it to be:[/size]
[/color]
[size="2"] [/size]
[size="2"]March 25th, Sunday           Rally School and First Rally, Watchung Exempt Firemen’s Hall, Watchung, [/size][size="2"]N.J[/size][size="2"][/size]
[size="2"]April 28[sup]th[/sup], Saturday            TryAutothon Rally, [/size][size="2"]Schooley’s Mountain Park[/size]
[size="2"]June 3rd, Sunday                NJ Road Trip Rally & Poker Run, (Tentative)[/size]
[size="2"]Sept 15th, Saturday            PorscheRama Rally, Pocono Int’l Raceway (Tentative)[/size]
[size="2"]Oct 14[sup]th[/sup], Sunday                  Rene Dreyfus Rally, TBD[/size]
[size="2"] [/size][size="2"]I’ll let you know when we work things out. Also, the schedule will be posted on the NNJR web site.[/size]
[size="2"]Thanks,[/size]
[size="2"]Frank Gourley[/size]
[size="2"]fgourley@patmedia.net[/size]
[size="2"]Ph:       908 730-8257[/size]

- Peter - 04-19-2007

I also really enjoyed the "not quite summer rally"  You did a great job.  Were are the Pic's  Good turn out.

- Wellardmac - 04-19-2007

Peter wrote:
Quote: I also really enjoyed the "not quite summer rally" You did a great job. Were are the Pic's Good turn out.

Are you referring to the "Spring Fling" that I did last weekend, or the "not quite summer rally" that Dennis did last year?