Riesentöter Forums
Knight, Karras, Minkin and Herman are no longer eligible for Instructor Discounts - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Knight, Karras, Minkin and Herman are no longer eligible for Instructor Discounts (/showthread.php?tid=2026)

Pages: 1 2 3

- catchacab - 11-18-2009

stentech1 wrote:
Quote:Perhaps we should do what other clubs do and have the Execs pay $0000.00 for DE. It is interesting that the people that contribute nothing are the first to gripe about these petty things. If you are just to poor to afford normal DE rates and would like to get a discount on DE get involved run for office and put in the time required to make these club activities happen. If that is not the solution perhaps go back to school get a better paying job. I have a customer that runs a cosmetology school and they have openings for next years classes. If you would like I can get you their phone number.

Steve Meenan

Steve,

We all determine where, when and to whom we devote our free time. Personally, I devote my free time as an unpaid volunteer to my state professional organization as President, and to my synegogue as a member of the Board of Directors, Chairman of a committee and a member of a second committee. In my opinion, both of these organization provide more important services (other than MAW and the ALS fundraisers) to the general public. As President of my professional organization, I organize and lobby to have services and funding provided for children. I work to educate those in my profession, and those who work along side my profession. In additon to those responsibilities there are many others, and the phone calls are emails are never ending. In my positions at my synegogue, I am there to work hard and help our synegogue provide the services needed by our congregation. Between the two organizations, I am at meetings or am working on related items no less than two nights a week. For all of this work, I receive nothing. No pay, no discounts. I generally pay for expenses incurred in this work out of my own pocket. I do it for the greater good.

I do care about RTR, but due to my other responsibilities I do not currently have the time to be an officer. If I had the time to properly fullfill the responsibilites of a position I would gladly run for a position. At any RTR event that I attend, I always offer to help.

I do feel the club and those who were just elected are not leading the club in the proper direction. When I see something that I feel is improper, as a member of the club, I call attention to it so that it may be corrected. The issue with the discounts has been improperly dealt with.

- Phokaioglaukos - 11-18-2009

catchacab wrote:
Quote:I do feel the club and those who were just elected are not leading the club in the proper direction.
I promise this is the last time I write this because it is clear some cannot understand it and others are probably tired of seeing it, but here goes one last time:

"Those who were just elected" did NOT create this policy. They documented and publicized it. If you want to blame someone for CREATING the policy, and I think that not justified, blame the people who created it many years ago. If you want to blame "those who were just elected" for something, blame them for telling you what the Board does by documenting and publicizing this policy, publishing minutes of Board meetings and the like.

Some thought it foolish to document and publicize this policy. I still disagree with that, but this thread is making it increasingly hard to continue to hold that view.

- catchacab - 11-18-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:catchacab wrote:
Quote:I do feel the club and those who were just elected are not leading the club in the proper direction.
I promise this is the last time I write this because it is clear some cannot understand it and others are probably tired of seeing it, but here goes one last time:

"Those who were just elected" did NOT create this policy. They documented and publicized it. If you want to blame someone for CREATING the policy, and I think that not justified, blame the people who created it many years ago. If you want to blame "those who were just elected" for something, blame them for telling you what the Board does by documenting and publicizing this policy, publishing minutes of Board meetings and the like.

Some thought it foolish to document and publicize this policy. I still disagree with that, but this thread is making it increasingly hard to continue to hold that view.

Although I do disagree with the discount policy, my problem is with the official adoption of the discount policy by the board. Adoption of the discount policy by the board violates CoIP. The board has been aware of this since the September membership meeting, and has not properly corrected this.

As far as the the club being lead in the wrong direction, the topic of this thread has nothing to do that, but is indicative of some other issues.

- Phokaioglaukos - 11-18-2009

Removed--working on keeping a positive attitude. Going off tomorrow morning to look at a race car....

- CarreraS - 11-18-2009

I am a relatively new member and also a new DE participant.  I also served on the board of a non-profit athletic association (Little League and Babe Ruth in Newtown, Bucks County) for many years including three years as President.

To suggest that the general membership should have veto power over Board votes is absurd.  That's why we elect these folks: so that they make the best decisions for the club.  If we don't like their decisions, then next October is right around the corner and you can throw the scoundrels out by voting for someone else.  But the Board is an elected body charged with the responsibility of setting policy.

When our own government sets a policy with which we as individual citizens do not agree, do we get a separate popular vote to change that policy?  Of course not, but we have the right to voice our concerns through protest and vote the policy makers out of office when given a chance.  So, I support and encourage your right to air your complaints and voice your concerns, but the "do over" on changing Board driven policies by membership veto is a slippery slope.

A volunteer organization, such as our chapter, is loaded with people who honestly want to do the right thing.  Do the instructors deserve a discount?  Unquestionably, the answer is YES.  Do Board members deserve a discount for the countless hours they devote to the club?  Sure, why not?  Is a 50% DE discount on a handful of people going to break the bank?  NO.  As with any volunteer organization, the heavy lifting is done by relatively few members.  Reward their efforts for the thankless jobs they perform. 

- bobt993 - 11-18-2009

David, 

I agree with your view and can speak somewhat for the instructors that support RTR.  The discount policy is a moderate form of appreciating the volunteer aspects which the executive committee does both during and after DE events.   The choice to support RTR has nothing to do with discounts because we can attend other events/organizations for free or even get paid.   Both my wife and I attend and instruct most of the time.  That would be a significant savings to go elsewhere, but I still support the discount to the board members.  Ironically, as Chris pointed out previously,  almost every exec member is an instructor and will receive the discount for their support on the track.  Of the above mentioned names all are INSTRUCTORS!!!  Am I missing something?  Have they been demoted from instructing by a vote of some sort???  LOL!

- Racingswh - 11-18-2009

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Is it me or is the title of this thread somewhat confrontational?

Hey Bob,

Wow, just what I was thinking. It's unfortunate to me that some in our club have chosen to go down this path.

Here's what I know. It's pretty basic stuff. I enjoy the company of most everyone in the club and the ones I can't comment on I probably just haven't met. I like the social aspect of the club the best. These are my friends and my best friend I met through DE involvement in the club.

I wish that we could let the political emphasis that has taken over within the club as of late subside a bit. It is getting so incredibly tiresome to see these points brought up. Truth is for me all it does is create negative feelings and in my eyes solves absolutely nothing.

In addition this has no business being in the DE section where I have to read it. It makes my car go no faster, it doesn't state any techniques that will help me, nor does it relate in any way to having fun in a DE environment socially while enjoying my car.

If this negative aura continues to surround our club it is my opinion that we will see participation fall even further going forward.

Steve W. Hoagland

- catchacab - 11-18-2009

The cab is off duty. No longer a 'toter.

- ccm911 - 11-18-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Removed--working on keeping a positive attitude. Going off tomorrow morning to look at a race car....
Nothing like some new machinery to make life good again. Big Grin

- Racingswh - 11-18-2009

Phokaioglaukos wrote:
Quote:Removed--working on keeping a positive attitude. Going off tomorrow morning to look at a race car....
Now that's awesome!! I love race cars. Look at it closely. Good Luck!!