Riesentöter Forums
Tires - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Tires (/showthread.php?tid=2109)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Brian Minkin - 01-12-2010

I have found that Michelin PS2's perform as well as any of the treaded R compound tires. I have had students running these tires on Cayman S and 911 turbos in the blue group who have learned well and are smooth and consistent turn incredible lap times on these tires.  They also provide excellent feedback.

Once you have the skill to drive an R compound "Slick" I would consider the BFG R-1.  I find they wear far better then Hoosiers and although a Hoosier will out preform an R-1 for its first 2 or 3 heat cycles they do not heat cycle out nearly as quickly.

- Darren - 01-12-2010

On most cars you need to upgrade the suspension before you can really leverage r-compound tires.  Far too many people move to r-compound tires too quickly -- it might make them faster but it makes it much more difficult to learn.

Does your car have a performance alignment?  How has the tire wear been on the track?

How heavy is that car?

- Larry Herman - 01-12-2010

KennyB wrote:
Quote:I'm surprised Larry would equate MPSCs with Hoosiers, unless he's thinking of Hoosier semi-slicks (??) I thought MPSCs were just another R-compound tire, although one with a good rep except perhaps as George said, the temp issue.

I'm gonna check out the BR program Smile

kb

MPSCs and Hoosier R6s are roughly similar in terms of lap times, though the feel, warmup, grip characteristics and longevity are totally different. They, along with the BFG R-1 are at the top of the R compound heap.

- Darren - 01-12-2010

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:
MPSCs and Hoosier R6s are roughly similar in terms of lap times, though the feel, warmup, grip characteristics and longevity are totally different. They, along with the BFG R-1 are at the top of the R compound heap.
In ideal conditions of course. George's point about the MPSC in cold weather is valid. These days street tires are approaching r-compound performance levels. The OP should check out the latest Grassroots Motorsports where there is an article about this.

- George3 - 01-12-2010

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:MPSCs and Hoosier R6s are roughly similar in terms of lap times, though the feel, warmup, grip characteristics and longevity are totally different. They, along with the BFG R-1 are at the top of the R compound heap.

Larry-
How do the Kumho V710's compare with the R6's & R1's ??
These seem to be popular with the AX'ers.

- betegh9 - 01-12-2010

George3 wrote:
Quote:Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:MPSCs and Hoosier R6s are roughly similar in terms of lap times, though the feel, warmup, grip characteristics and longevity are totally different. They, along with the BFG R-1 are at the top of the R compound heap.

Larry-
How do the Kumho V710's compare with the R6's & R1's ??
These seem to be popular with the AX'ers.

George, let me chime in since I have had lots of experience with AX competition. Hoosier A6's is top dog, fastest tire right out of the box, no warm ups. these are ONLY good for 3 laps max on a track, and some guys use them to qualify or for a TT. The A6's begin loosing stick after 10 to 12 heat cycles and toast after 40, and I would definitely not attempt anywhere near that on a track. The tire will be gone, as in no rubber. Don't forget that the 40 AX heat cycles are about 60 seconds each. The R6's and the V710 run about 1 second behind (on a 60 second course) as long as it is a hot summer day or you have a tire warmer (co driver, since mechanical tire warmers are not allowed in REAL AX competition), so in cold weather the gap may be greater. The R1's are a few nanoseconds behind the R6's, but I don't know how its longevity is in comparison to the R6, for that, an R1 user may have to chime in.
I heard that there is a new player in town...........Goodyear, a well known race tire maker (slicks) is entering the DOT R rated field. I guess that they found that there IS a market in this nitche. Type, tread, sizes........ I don't know. Anybody know anything else?

- bobt993 - 01-12-2010

Eric, one option I would consider is an SC or 964 based track car that is prepped and ready to roll.  If  you do a quick cost analysis and the fact that your willing to trailer to the events.  Adding suspension and related items to your pristine R8 would be easily half the price of a front running 911 track car.  The curb weight will mid to low 2000 lbs versus a heavy street car.  Wear and tear items like brakes and tires will be half what your currently consuming.  You will learn more from the lack of traction control and driver aids too.  Track cars are sooooo cheap right now with the economy down.  Just a thought.  As far tires,  Larry pretty much summed it up. 

- Darren - 01-12-2010

betegh9 wrote:
Quote: Anybody know anything else?
Yeah, V710's suck

- George3 - 01-12-2010

Darren wrote:
Quote:betegh9 wrote:
Quote: Anybody know anything else?
Yeah, V710's suck

Why ?

- Darren - 01-12-2010

They overheat and get greasy, they chunk, they don't seem to work too well on the track. I don't know anyone that races with them anymore.  If you want to know what tires to run in DE, look and see what the club racers are winning with.