Riesentöter Forums
Hill Climbs - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Hill Climbs (/showthread.php?tid=2138)

Pages: 1 2 3

- Bill Lehman - 02-27-2010

I was a pretty serious hilclimber before I started racing and ran the complete PHA schedule for a few years.  I remember driving up to Reading and running up and down Duryea with my tow car at night to learn the course.   When I look back, this hilclimbing was dangerous compared to DEs or club racing.  However, race tracks were also less safe then.  My first race was the "Reading Road Races" put on by the Philly region of SCCA.  The track consisted of some runway at the Reading airport connected with roads that had telephone poles along them.    Watkins Glen had no guardrail or bus stop. 

- dmano - 02-27-2010

betegh9 wrote:
"You really don't need anybody to crew, but if you have a cooler full of brew, i'm sure you can get someone. Smile The event is very lax, and you can take naps between runs. It is more like a pic nic with some occasional driving. Really, I have done these in the past and there are some hard core old timers with all kinds of home built rigs that are fun to watch. But as Brian said, very dangerous and intimidating having those trees and guardrails wizzing by your periferal vision in a blur. If you have a nice car, you'll probably drive 5/10th, if you drive a junker, maybe 8/10ths. The driving part is very strict though......... a full race car prep is REQUIRED: extinguisher, kill switch, net, or arm restraints, full race suit with underwear, buclavah if you have a beard like me, 95 degree with 80% humidity to go with it, and the HOT DOG vendors down around the paddock area."

I know how it works, have run there many times over the years. I could always use an extra set of hands to help with things. Especially if the car brakes.

- betegh9 - 02-27-2010

dmano wrote:
Quote:betegh9 wrote:
"You really don't need anybody to crew, but if you have a cooler full of brew, i'm sure you can get someone. Smile The event is very lax, and you can take naps between runs. It is more like a pic nic with some occasional driving. Really, I have done these in the past and there are some hard core old timers with all kinds of home built rigs that are fun to watch. But as Brian said, very dangerous and intimidating having those trees and guardrails wizzing by your periferal vision in a blur. If you have a nice car, you'll probably drive 5/10th, if you drive a junker, maybe 8/10ths. The driving part is very strict though......... a full race car prep is REQUIRED: extinguisher, kill switch, net, or arm restraints, full race suit with underwear, buclavah if you have a beard like me, 95 degree with 80% humidity to go with it, and the HOT DOG vendors down around the paddock area."

I know how it works, have run there many times over the years. I could always use an extra set of hands to help with things. Especially if the car brakes.
Tongue

The car has 4 brakes....... so if one BREAKS, it's not so bad. TongueTongueWink:dude:

- pahillclimber - 03-01-2010

Glad to see some interest in hillclimbing. Riesentoter has had a good past with the PHA as a kid, I remember that the PHA had a class just for 356s because the TR3 and MGB drivers did not want to run against us.
I know some people think hillclimbers are crazy and yes rocks, trees, and guiderail do not move but, then again neither does the boiler plate at Pocono and there is no worry about some jerk that makes a mistake and takes you out with him/her. The important thing in hillclimbing, is to respect the course, your driving abilities, and your car's abilities.
Yes, you do need full drivers' gear; suit, helmet, gloves, socks, balacava for long hair and facial hair. Car needs a fire bottle, at least 5 point harness, window net or arm restraints, roll bar is good for most classes except GT-1, open top GT and Production, formula, sports racing, and Specials(run whata brung) these require a cage.
We feature a ton of classes, all the SCCA GCR classes, Solo Street Prepared and Street Mod, Specials, Vintage and Historic.

Check out the website, www.pahillclimb.org and www.scca.com .

Rich Sweigart

Back to rebuilding and figuring out how to stuff a 220hp Duratec/MZR into a Reynard formula car.

- ccm911 - 03-01-2010

Sounds like great fun!  I am most definitely going to go to the Reading event.  I went there about ten years ago and it was pretty cool.  You can get pretty close to the action.  Just be sure to pick a good corner.

And yes, I kinda like "open" road racing as opposed to tracks.

Separates the men from the boys. Big Grin

- Bill Lehman - 03-01-2010

Rich, I remember the Sweigart name.  I was hillclimbing during that period.  As I remember it, the Porsches didn't want to run against the MGBs.  (Guess what I was driving)  One of the 356 shoes was a pots & pans salesman named George Frey.  I believe that it was at Hershey when he hit a tree and upon return to the pits someone declared he needed a padded Porsche Bra.   A few years later I ran with George at Road Atlanta and Bridgehampton.

- pahillclimber - 03-01-2010

Bill,

George Frey set the Ep record at Duryea in 1969, I felt a little sad that a Neon driver broke his record last year. People today, just do not understand what hillclimbing was like back in the 60s and 70s, when we had Saturday cars and Sunday cars. Riesentoter had 3 (6 drivers per team) teams going for the team championship, now we are lucky to get 3 teams period. I am glad that my parents took me everywhere that they went because it was magical time period of 356s, early 911s, RSK Spyders, Elva-Porsches, Cobras, McLarens. Today, I just happy to see a Bugeye Sprite or a MGB at a hill.

I hope to have the Reynard project done for 2011 to celebrate my family's 50th year in hillclimbing.

Rich Sweigart

- Bill Lehman - 03-05-2010

Another event popular with some hillclimbers was called Auto Sprints.  These were run like an AX but on go kart tracks with no cones.  Two cars were started 1/2 a lap apart.  You were allowed 2 wheels off in the corners, this is where I learned to "clip" apexs and use "all" the road.  There was a season championship called the "Tri-Cities Sprint Series"   We ran at Coatsville, Virginville, Christmas Village (Bernville) and Bushkill Pines.

- betegh9 - 03-05-2010

pahillclimber wrote:
Quote:Glad to see some interest in hillclimbing. Riesentoter has had a good past with the PHA as a kid, I remember that the PHA had a class just for 356s because the TR3 and MGB drivers did not want to run against us.
I know some people think hillclimbers are crazy and yes rocks, trees, and guiderail do not move but, then again neither does the boiler plate at Pocono and there is no worry about some jerk that makes a mistake and takes you out with him/her. The important thing in hillclimbing, is to respect the course, your driving abilities, and your car's abilities.
Yes, you do need full drivers' gear; suit, helmet, gloves, socks, balacava for long hair and facial hair. Car needs a fire bottle, at least 5 point harness, window net or arm restraints, roll bar is good for most classes except GT-1, open top GT and Production, formula, sports racing, and Specials(run whata brung) these require a cage.
We feature a ton of classes, all the SCCA GCR classes, Solo Street Prepared and Street Mod, Specials, Vintage and Historic.

Check out the website, http://www.pahillclimb.org and http://www.scca.com .

Rich Sweigart

Back to rebuilding and figuring out how to stuff a 220hp Duratec/MZR into a Reynard formula car.
Rich, Nice to see you are around and on the forum. Hope your project will bring you success. I might see you in Reading sometime, but I,ve been busy with AX and track. I am also building a 914. My son in law wants to put a killer motor into it, so I may send it down to Florida for him to work on.

- pahillclimber - 03-05-2010

Nick,

Thanks, I am hoping that the Reynard project will be a success and much faster than my formula vee or my Golf GT.

Take care and good luck,

Rich