Riesentöter Forums
Safety Tech Tips - Wheel Torque - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Safety Tech Tips - Wheel Torque (/showthread.php?tid=2639)

Pages: 1 2 3

- betegh9 - 03-02-2011

JoeP wrote:
Quote:I worked for a couple years in a refinery with all sorts of fancy machinery, pumps, and compressors. We were told exactly the opposite - use copper-based anti-seize on every screw and bolt on which we did not use LocTite. They said that torque settings on dry bolts would not be accurate.

They said that a bolt or nut does not move until you apply a fixed threshold of extra torque. That is,if a nut is already at 90 FtLb, it will not move when you apply 91 FtLb. It will only move with, say, 97 FtLb.

We were told that the torque threshold to get dry nuts & bolts moving was much higher than when antisieze was used. Therefore, going from 90 to 95 FtLb was difficult. The nut might not move until 105.

Anyway, that's what I was told -- in a very loud voice by a big guy with a wrench in his hand.

Yep! That works for me........Big Grin

- emayer - 03-03-2011

cjbcpa wrote:
Quote:Funny,

I was garaged near a guy at T-bolt last October who had centerlocks his Porsche.

He asked for my help putting his wheels on. Not sure how much of this was drama for my benefit, but it was some absurd multi-step process putting those on. In the end, he had this humongous torque wrench with an extended breaker bar on it that was necessary to get the torque up high enough to the factory setting.

Maybe Porsche has made a secret pact with folks like Doughtery's to make it almost mandatory to hire track-side service.

CB

You nailed it!

Repair shops, wheel manufacturers, tool suppliers and my chiropractor are the only ones benefitting from this change...

Nick, is a tire warmer kinda like a "fluffer"?! Big Grin

- cjbcpa - 03-03-2011

Ouch, that's a painful mental image, Nick as a fluffer!

CB

- CarreraS - 03-03-2011

The scary part is that we all know the meaning of the word "fluffer".

- TwentySix - 03-03-2011

CarreraS wrote:
Quote:The scary part is that we all know the meaning of the word "fluffer".
What's a fluffer??

- TwentySix - 03-03-2011

- CarreraS - 03-03-2011

Beth, you're too nice a person for any of us to divulge that information to you!! 

Let's just say it is a job in a certain genre of the film industry.

- JimWirt - 03-03-2011

Dave have you ever taken one of your rims off that car?

- KennyB - 03-03-2011

Chris,

The aftermarket studs for our cars don't have the flange and splines, just threads.  And they need to be set in with Lock-Tite.  They can be backed out, obviously, if they need to be changed.

I'm kinda liking wht Joe has said.

Eric,

You'll have no problem at Tech.  The club has acquired a very long breaker bar to which a running board has been welded.  Paul, Steve Hoagland, and 2 other designated tech workers will stand on the breaker bar once fitted to your centerocks, and bring the torque up to the specified 950 ft-lbs.

- JimWirt - 03-03-2011

Center locks look like fun. Helped my instructor with his cup car. He had me get in the car like I was driving it and hold the steering wheel and brake peddle so the car wouldn't move instead of the center lock.  He is a big guy too. Eric you better hit the weights!!!!