Riesentöter Forums
Pocono weekend - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Pocono weekend (/showthread.php?tid=2892)

Pages: 1 2 3

- AMoore - 09-22-2011

I am curious, when using the entire trioval, is braking required at each corner for the high hp cars?  If so, I image the east corner requires the least braking.  Is that correct?

Aaron

- Wally - 09-22-2011

AMoore wrote:
Quote:I am curious, when using the entire trioval, is braking required at each corner for the high hp cars? If so, I image the east corner requires the least braking. Is that correct?

Aaron
Once I became comfortable with the track, I only had to lift a little entering the corner without using any brake. Towards the end I didn't have to lift going into two (east). I was only able to see 166 running flat out.

- CarreraS - 09-22-2011

Paul, my mistake on Saturday was experimenting with staying in one gear all the way around the tri-oval. Jon Myers was able to stay in 5th all the way around, but his gearing is obviously different in his Vette than my 997S.

I think I was faster on Friday downshifting to 4th and then accelerating out in 5th. Then, I hit the rev limiter at about 145 and had to upshift to 6th for a short time. It seemed like I was doing too much and unsettling the car, but it was faster than staying in 5th on Saturday.

Once you got up to speed, did you stay in the same gear all the way around? I'd appreciate others chiming in as well.

- Wally - 09-22-2011

Once I got comfortable with the track I stayed in 5th all the way around.  By lifting a little I scrubbed about 10 to 15 mph going into the turn and started to accelerate once the car settled down.  It got to the point that I didn't have to lift for turn two.
It was the most fun I had all weekend, as much fun as climbing the esses at the Glen.

- Jimbeau - 09-22-2011

5th all the way.  I'll take the esses over the tri-oval myself.  It was fun for a couple of sessions, but not as much fun as road course to me.

- StoogeMoe203 - 09-22-2011

I think all of us came away with a better appreciation for the NASCAR boys who go faster, have stiffer springs, and run side by side while flying into turn 1.  All on a horribly bumpy track.  And then do that for 500 miles?

- Bill Lehman - 09-22-2011

I agree with Jimbeau, the WGI esses are more fun. After figuring out the line Friday, I was picking up 6th gear at the end of the front straight and hitting an indicated 150 in my Cayman. The downside to all of this was that shortly after the start on Friday there was a huge amount of dirt and debris kicked up which resulted in a sand-blasted windshield and front end of the car. My clear-bra saved most of the paint but not all. I found the exit of turn 3 extremely bumpy and did not run the tri-oval on Saturday.

- betegh9 - 09-22-2011

I have done the trioval with NASA before, so I was not interested, but sat in the passenger seat of my 2 students. After showing them the line, etc., about 2 laps, I told my students that I was going to take a nap and to wake me after the checkered flag. That is about as exciting the tri-oval is to me. I can NOT imagine doing 500 miles.Cool

- Jimbeau - 09-23-2011

Speaking of students, I actually had more fun riding in my Green student's S2000 on the tri-oval than I did driving. Big Grin

We were having a ball chasing down Eric Haas' student also in an S2000.  It was pretty cool  to actually experience "drafting" and and to feel what happens when you pull out to pass someone and drive right into that wall of air.  It was very noticeable in these cars.

I'm glad we were able to do it and I know my students really enjoyed it and hopefully we'll be able to do it again next year.

- dmano - 09-23-2011

FORGOT TO MENTION THE KILLER FOOD SAT NIGHT. WE SHOULD DO THAT AT ALL THE TRACKS. CAN'T BEAT A GOOD PIG ROAST